Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

leica posted:

Also an fyi, if the steering wheel feels "loose" especially on rough roads the lower and mid steering shafts are wear items and may need to be replaced. I'm currently dealing with it on my car. Also any parts you need to get from a Ford dealer order through Tousley.

You should check for play on all front suspension bits. If it's all tight, the P71 actually steers very well, imo.

My 03's tranny started slipping after a season of rallycross, and I was pretty sad when I had to sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's got good steering angle and a shorter wheelbase than you'd think. You will hang the trunk over the curb in a tight parking situation, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do PDs every buy Grand Marquis's? They don't, and I'm safe to ignore those as potential unmarked cars, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I drove on a flashing CEL in my '03 for a few days. The code told me which cylinder it was, and throwing in an aftermarket coil fixed it. I just told myself running on 7 cylinders was small enough risk given how little I had in the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is it quick flashes or an occasional blink?

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think cop cars fall under epa testing requirements. Do you even have a cat?

Really?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can anyone ID these alternate small-diameter hubcaps? I've only ever seen them on my P71 -- everyone else has the flatter kind.

I miss that car :'(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That explains it. They were stamped with the Ford logo in the middle, but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Assume it's the COP and replace it with an aftermarket coil. It's a $20 gamble to see if it'll fix it. Though according to this thread, you wanna use OEM parts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sports posted:

Panther-body cars are the safest cars to come out of North America. They are incredible- near comparable to a Volvo in every way.

There's no two ways about it -- newer-designed cars are simply safer.

New Taurus:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1139&seriesid=435
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1140&seriesId=435

Last gen Panther:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=181&seriesid=308
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=708&seriesId=308

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sports posted:

Yes, because a car that you can't see out of the back window with is really safe.
Safety standards improve, sure, but the safety arms race has turned cars into swollen messes that require rear-view cameras to even take into account pedestrian accidents.

If you want to start a thread modeling how poorer rear view visibility has increased injury and mortality rate in newer cars, please do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

The taller gears only help on the interstate, and I imagine the gains for Whales isn't that great.

Is 'whale' the new body style? Is 3.27 what went into the P71s, or was there an even shorter ratio?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

I can't help but wonder what a CV with 6.14 gears would feel like. Probably snap your neck launching, but then top out at 35mph :haw:

A P71 speedo is calibrated to 140mph. Not sure if it can reach that speed, but it's calibrated!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Someone needs to explain to me how Ford built a 4000lbs car with a 5.0L V8 and decided it only needed a 17 gallon gas tank.

I'm sure the easy scapegoat is the Pinto.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If you buy something the wrong side of 4000lbs with a V8 in it and then think MPG is up for discussion, you may wish to reevaluate your approach to things.

Hey. HEY. The last gen CV is only 3900 lbs :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How easily can Panthers be lifted, say 1-2"? Let's say my budget is $2000 for the project.

geforce posted:

I don't mind taking the time to test them individually, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Just buy one extra coil and start swapping one by one? Did you swap both plug and coil for the reported cyl, or just coil?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Which model? The Interceptor has stiffer springs than the civvie version and sits an inch higher, so the easy way is to get cop springs if you don't have them already.

I thought the Interceptor was lower with stiffer springs?
I was thinking on a 98 or later. The front is dual wishbone and the rear is Watts link, right? Would it simply be a matter of taller springs that at the rear don't get into the weird sideways travel path of the Watts link, and at the front don't really mess with the steering rack?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I should buy this, right?: https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/supercharged-crown-victoria/6494683203.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, did seem too good to be true. Is it just to collect numbers who call?