Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Also this is already the biggest engine by displacement and raw numbers that I've ever owned, the next closest even comparable was the 2.5 in my E30 and (displacement wise) the 2.6s in the Froot Truck 2 and Starion. Everything else has been 2L or smaller, and I'm up to 17 cars now I think at last count. Maybe 18.

Do the Froot Truck or the Starion even count, since neither ever ran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

This is the first car I've ever owned with working ice cold AC! Which of course comes in handy during the scorching, hellish Seattle summers let me tell you.

Don't knock A/C even in Seattle, mine's been busted for years (not in Seattle) and working A/C is essential to de-fogging the windshield when it's raining and wet people get in the car. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Mine was on one of the quarter panels, but it was a non-cop '97 Grand Marquis (replacement for my first car, an '87). drat this thread for making me nostalgic for them both!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, cat or trans damage.

CEL on = find out why and fix it, drive it to the shop maybe if it doesn't feel weird at the wheel or pedals. Did you leave the gas cap on top of the pump, you big goof?

CEL flashing = pull the gently caress over and turn off the engine right now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 (the tow guy gets to do that).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pull the codes first. If they're not misfire codes, don't gently caress with the coils yet. Could be something even more fun. :bigtran:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is the CEL blinking when you drive currently? If so, please stop, you are ruining your future.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

That was kinda cool, my drivers door has always took a little bit of shouldering to get it to open or close, very heavy action. I just put a block of wood and a floor jack under it, and after a shot or two I got the door swinging and shutting the way it was meant to be.

Sounds like someone's been grabbing the top of the door to get out for most of the car's life.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

sports posted:

Yes, because a car that you can't see out of the back window with is really safe.
Safety standards improve, sure, but the safety arms race has turned cars into swollen messes that require rear-view cameras to even take into account pedestrian accidents.

I have never felt less safe in the driver's seat than I did in a new Camaro. I love giant greenhouses.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Velour split bench is the correct seat for sexytime. And/or 8 passengers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Just keep that seatbelt nice and tight and plant your off-hand in the ceiling. It's surprisingly effective. The extension rods in the passenger's headrest are good too, hook your thumb in the further one and wrap your fingers over the far corner of the seat. Either of these positions will allow you to corner like a psychopath.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That right there is why I don't have a spare head. "If I don't pull the whole thing, the rest of the engine will be ruined for the next guy!" :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The rust that forms in valvetrains from rainwater is a special specific shade of orange that is bright and catches the eye. It's the color of sadness and regret.

I've never (for various reasons) been able to take a whole engine home, but I will never be that guy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How many letters per plate in your state? What non-letter characters are allowed?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
MOSSAD

NOTFIAT

B. P. R. D.

G. C. P. D.

M. I. B. (and put striped 'Caution' tape around the trunk)

RIPJAKE

MISSION

BLUBIRD

VOLANTE

FBIHIFI

HELIPAD (and vinyl a yellow H and circle on the roof)

COPWHIP

2JZ-NOS

NOFTCHX (must get fantasy airbrushing)

TRANSAM (must vinyl a screaming chicken on the hood)

and my favorite generic one:

DINOPWR

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

For as large of a car as these are there are some tight spaces in inconvenient places as far as plumbing a turbo system is concerned.

Whatever, all I see is a large expanse of hood and fender to cut a pair of snail hatches out of. :haw:

Seriously, though, it makes me a little sad that there's not the bow room that there was in the '80s models. My '87 Grand Marquis had like a foot of air between the grille and the radiator (ask me about rear-ending a bread truck with no rad damage).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Tally here :) I traded my LS in on a Subaru WRX 2 weeks ago, and am already about to gut the uppipe due to that very fact.

Unless the cat is wrecked, sell it instead (to someone who ruined theirs :v:), it'll more than pay for a decent replacement. OEM cats are $texas.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

leica posted:

I own a '97 Miata and a Panther. Best of both worlds :haw:

You're missing an old boxy Cherokee. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

11BulletCatcher posted:

I'm about to trade my fleetwood brougham for a 89 mercury grand marquis with a posi automatic trans and the 302 HO mustang engine swapped in. Buyer wants to build the caddy into a hit on the strip. I'll fill you all in on details if and when this deal happens.

My first car was an '87 Grand Marquis LS and it was amazing. The later rounded Panther styling is a total letdown by comparison. Those headlights. :allears:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

So you're going to want a differential case spreader unless you like trying to pound 5-thou thick round metal shims with a giant hole punched through the middle in between two pieces of metal that are pressed together, edgewise. That sounds like a recipe for bent shims, cursing, and thrown tools to me.

Bent shims? Oh no, it's worse than that. They don't bend; they're brittle, and will shatter spectacularly at the drop of a hat. Got to see this happen no less than 5 times at work recently. I thought the dude was going to cry, but it was his fault for trying to bull through the job without a spreader.

What's funny, though, is after three days of fighting with it, it turned out Parts had given him the wrong bearings (slightly too big). :smithicide:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Fo3 posted:

There's always a belt running around the a/c pulley. Turning the a/c on just operates an electric clutch which engages the a/c compressor.
So if the a/c pulley bearing is stuffed, it's going to be noisy (and eventually seize up and chew the ancillary/main 'v'/'serpentine' belt up and leave you stranded somewhere).

For what it's worth, if this starts to happen and you don't want to replace the unit for whatever reason, you can get a dummy pulley that's literally just a pulley mounted on a bracket that bolts in where the AC should be.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ajcz posted:

I was driving this beast today after some tooling around town and getting some things done and i started backing down my driveway and as i press the brake pedal and absolutely nothing happens. Well i say nothing but it just goes straight to the floor, and i just roll down hill into the street. Not fun. its sitting in the driveway and i now need to figure out what happened.

Seems to be fluid in the master. no obv. leaks under the car that i can see, i haven't tried pumping the brakes and checking again but im assuming its either the master is toast or a hole in a line. What size is the brake line on these?

Could just be the seals in the master poo poo the bed.

Or a blown rear wheel cylinder seal, if your drum is watertight or caked enough with brake dust. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

Who needs a truck when you have a panther?

Not sure what he was hauling, but I was impressed someone spent the time to build a mount for it.

Edit: This is Oklahoma, so no it did not have a flag, nor was it tied in.

Excuse me, hauling? :what:

That is clearly a lance mount.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Huggable Bear King posted:

I think you've just invented a new form of Destruction Derby. Now I want to buy a couple panthers and joust!

Oh my, yes. I recommend explosive lances.

quote:

Explosive lances were designed to kill a whale by exploding inside its body.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Because they aren't. Vaguely reminds you of a police car does not equal impersonating the police. (lights aren't red or blue is probably the answer you're looking for)

Not sure if that was a joke but I was in the car when a housemate got an impersonation ticket for 'taillights too bright' in his mom's bone-stock Corolla. By comparison, causing serious double-takes all over town should be an easy ticket magnet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Those are good money on eBay. :(

Delivery McGee posted:

The sheriff's dept that pulled me over has a pretty neat color scheme -- white cars with matte-black bumpers.

This sounds rad, can you post some kind of photo? I want to see where they decided the bumpers started/ended.

Or is it just the whole bumper panel like an unpainted ricer bodykit? That would be... not rad.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Coolant wants to be free.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Junkyard part? I've had good luck with junkyard compressors and there are many AC specialty shops that deal in rebuilt ones for great savings.

I'd consider going to an AC specialty shop for a second opinion if you've got one.

Get that second opinion, but if the compressor actually sprayed metal fragments at all then yeah, you either replace the entire system now or do it later, including re-replacing anything you get replaced right now.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Red Loctite. To be fair, tightening the gently caress out of tiny things is asking for a leak. :shobon:

Do you actually have any visible seepage on the calipers? Keep in mind that your reservoir level drops as your pads wear and the pistons come to rest further and further away from the caliper wall; you don't need to lose any fluid to trigger the warning lamp. That poo poo is clingy, if it's leaking then there's residue somewhere. You just need to find it.

Those headlights are looking rad, I thought they didn't have lenses at first.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you'd just paint the loving thing electric purple and orange already you wouldn't have these problems. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

lampey posted:

I have an 07 and the big fan behind the radiator doesn't spin any more. It still spins when you move it. Is three any easy way to test it before I get one from a scrapyard? Also what is that part called, shroud fan motor?

Jump the terminals on the fan's plug directly to the battery with test leads and see if it runs. If so, something else is wrong upstream. If not, it's hosed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
In both my '87 and '99, I kept two 100-pound sandbags at the sides of the trunk over the rear axle. I always figured if I still got stuck, well, the sand would help under the wheels too, right?

Never did get stuck, though, and as long as your tires aren't bald (and you have some basic idea how to drive in snow/ice in the first place), you'll be fine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The dealer I work for recently had a new (unsold) car vinyl wrapped pink so people could sign it with sharpies for some kind of breast cancer awareness promotion. Do that.

See if you can find hazard stripe masking tape to denote the edges of the 'safe' zone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
A modest tug, if there's no screw/bolt head visible.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I suppose they are thin and probably brittle plastic, so I am changing my suggestion to "prybar at the side".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'll take a look... I know rattling hoods are problems with the aero Crown Vics, didn't know they would also be a problem for the box generation.

Edit: Well I adjusted the stops a little bit, it's much firmer now, but the sound persists.

I did discover the surest way to stop the noises: try to record them. Eventually I got back to a stretch of road which did it anyway, but my cellphone's noise reduction screwed me over.

Looks better without hubcaps:

You are almost driving my first car. :allears:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Would be an effective way to figure out who the hell is actually honking in dense night traffic. :razz:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Please tell us the passenger dash still says

" :smugdog: ~ Ride Engineered ~ :smugdog: "

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My '87 had that and it was really fun to point it out to passengers in a hammed-up Thurston Howell voice.

Whatever model year they stopped putting that on there is obviously one model year after the one I want to own again someday. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

City17 posted:

When it originally blew the intake, no telling how far it was driven. My niece says not far, but I wonder if it has a warped head or something stupid.

Family or not, all previous owners are always liars all the time. It's pretty safe to assume she drove it 10k+ like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Start tracing power with a meter. Something somewhere is still burnt, and if you replaced all the assemblies in the circuit then it's the fuse (you did check that, right?) or a burnt wire. is power getting to the switch? Is it getting to the resistor pack control module? is it getting to the motor?