Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Unless you have a BOSE system. gently caress, you insert a CD and it breaks.

Who ever thought BOSE was good is a total loving retard. Its hilariously retarded, especially the integration on GM's products. (I am staring directly at the Cadillac division)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Tested my new foam gun on the Vic, it's fuckin' awesome. Gonna use it on the house too :v:

I really really like those rims.

T1g4h posted:

Oh hey, my state is getting all kinds of snow right now, probably a bad idea to be driving a RWD barge, right?

Wrong :allears:

I love how planted it is unless I kick the pedal and make it slide.

And I love the Mustang rims (or are they look alike?). Both of these cars look great!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The Midniter posted:

I was never a fan of the Bullitt wheels on Mustangs, but they look seriously sharp on a CV.

I was thinking the exact same thing... But the crown vic still retains the old "Im a bad rear end 4 door sedan, dont gently caress with me look".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because you guys are all bastards, I have been looking at retired cruisers.....

What do you guys do about the hole in the middle of the seats in the front? Do you find a new center console or what? I was just curious!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Obviously, you guys are still asshats. I keep looking at these cars and I kinda think I want one. Might be a good beater....

What about transferring the seats out of the seats and console out of a town car? I just really like leather seating (I know, I am a huge prima donna).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bennyfactor posted:

What about a Cologne V6 as a smaller engine for a panther, didn't older Explorers have both them and Windsors as an option for a while?

Dear god, you need a good hit to the head.

If your going to adapt an engine, at least go with the 4.6 32 valve. If you do a 5.4L engine, you may have hood clearance issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Am I posted:

Just out of interest, why didn't Ford put the 5.4lt V8 into the Crown Vic? Ford used the 5.4lt fairly successfully in the smaller Falcon, just seems strange they stuck with the smaller V8 in the big Vic.

To be honest, this was a platform that was at the end of its cycle and Ford has known that for some time. But it was proven and well developed with any issues well sorted. And considering that this car was about 90% fleet sales, 9% old people, and a very tiny sliver at less than 1% of overall sales were enthusiast, it makes sense not to mess with it.

I think the Marauder sales were pretty dismal, and that was a car that was pretty heavily promoted by several car magazines and so forth.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

drat shame, too, despite it's problems (most of which I recall could be fixed with a lower rear end) Edit: I should really look things up before I just post. Seems the Marauder already had the 3.55 rear end. I just remembered a lot of reports of the car being sluggish off the line and maybe people wanted it to be something it wasn't, I don't know. :shobon:

When the Marauder was launched my dad came home with a promotional DVD and was considering picking one up but didn't. I know where I get my car ADD from.

Even with the extra 60 some hp, its still a heavy pig. 3.55's are nothing to sneeze at, but you have to keep the car fairly street drivable for the mouth breathers of the world, plus if they put 3.7x's or higher, the fuel economy would drop by a good 2-3 mpg's easily.

It was good concept about 15 years before its time. But it still was a fairly pricy sedan for its time when there were better options out there.

Trust me, its a sweet car, but it was to dated for 2003.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Voting BLUESBR

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Bonus option!

You could easily drop in a 351 Windsor in its place easy enough. The deck height is a little bit more (about an inch or so), but if its easy to stuff in a Mustang, you should not have a problem stuffing it into an old Crown Vic.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If your going across the country I couldn't recommend towing that much weight.

But around town? I can't see it being a huge ordeal. The 5 series is rated pretty high in Europe and in the US? Nothing.

Part of it is because the US drivers are pretty good at being idiots and really overloading the poo poo out of things.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
[quote="KennyLoggins" post="414707260"
The 4R70W transmission had one speed for shifts, slow. I really haven't driven many 1998+ Panther car mostly cause I don't like the whale styling and I wanted something with more options and speed. So now I drive a car not quite as old as a Panther but it is discontinued like a Panther a N* DTS.
[/quote]

I have no idea why... but it seems like every one in AI secretly loves an land barge just to go for a drive in.

Well, almost all of AI.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.

Seat heaters rock. I know, you do feel like a sell out, but having a reliable DD is never selling out. Keep this car nice and unmodified, find yourself a nice car to work on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That makes it sound broken to me. It's your duty to now secure a blower and make it into a muscle car again.

There is only like a 60 HP gain with the 32 valve engine.... So its only 302 hp give or take.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KennyLoggins posted:

I really prefer the Northstar vs the Intech DOHC 4.6.

Its to bad GM killed this engine. Just when they got it right, they killed it.

To bad, really for a big car, and my driving style (relatively aggressive) I still managed around 21-22 mixed driving. Not bad for a 2 ton car.

And besides the STS-V with the supercharged Northstar just... just sounds amazing.

http://youtu.be/bEhi3R6qqpU?t=1m2s

Fast forward to 1:00 minute in...

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 25, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Pushing around a 2 ton brick isn't going to net the best MPG's and even switching to taller gears won't help all that much. The engine will end up working a little harder off the line so what ever gains on the highway will be completely negated in the city.

Or so one would think.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why not pull the plug to the AC compressor? Or is it just spinning with out the ac on?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Pretty much. But keep in mind with those miles if the rear air springs are the originals I guarantee they will need to be replaced.

My car has 140K and here's what happens after it sits for a day:

I have a replacement kit, just waiting for time to install it.

For some reason.... if the front was the same as the rear.... that looks really good.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Oh, yeah...I almost forgot to start doing "before" pic dumps to this thread of cop cars.

I think this is the impala (sorry) but I'll get the CV at some point. Just as soon as one of the idiots un-cop-proofs the radio or laptop in it (which will be soon, as it's a pool car).

Just to give you guys some whacker inspiration.

Wow... a Motorola Radio. We used to have those on the railroad both engine and portables. They couldn't upgrade the old Motorolas to the new digital poo poo, so they bought these god awful JEM engine radios and Kenwood handsets. I hear lots of "what" and "I can't hear you". I hear them loud and clear..... because my Motorola Handset was upgradable. :smug:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

And now you guys know the true long-term fallout from the FCC starting to auction spectrum.

Spectrum is now so precious and valuable that they have to do all sorts of digital narrowband bullshit to maintain service.

That being said, a lot of public safety is just moving to LTE.

--Motorola Solutions employee

Ugh. Seriously, we can move this to the misc chat.... but gently caress that auction ordeal. Really hoses the people that actually need the wider band in order to communicate.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Figured this seemed appropriate here....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It looks so... right. It could be the theme for AI.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, highway cars are the ones to get for sure. Another tip is that the newer cars I think 06 and up have an hours meter in the cluster when you cycle the odo/trip. So you can see if it spent an eternity idling. I would not want railway car as those would spend a lot of tile driving lovely dirt road and have probably seen a lot of airtime from crossings and washes. And if its anything like the rail industry the were beat on without mercy as the people I know that work rail company tell me tails of basically destroying new cars and how may transmissions and such they have broken.

Not to mention the railroad industry is just flat out harsh on vehicles.

We are working on 7th set of ball joints on a Chevrolet Colorado 4x4. It only has.... 49,000 miles

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It can't be that awful to do the AC work on a Crown Vic....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have had only one miss with rockauto.... but I wasnt sure if it was them or me.

Either way, the customer service folks were incredibly nice.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4089150741.html
:stonklol:

That interior looks in great shape..... actually this is one of the nicest civilian Crown Vics I have seen in a long time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

This photo really makes me want a Crown Vic.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

16 mpg in a land barge, pulling basically its own weight behind it.... :stare:

... while my 2800 pound 2.2L plastic economy car is lucky to hit 22 MPG when used for delivery, and so far, I've yet to break 26 mpg highway.

:sigh:

Tall gears and lots of low end torque is that really really helps. When I used to own my 92 Trans Am, if I drove it sanely and kept it under 80, I would regularly do 24.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
13 Inch Dicks car would be worth while in buying. Hes gone through it, and should be reliable for some time. Buying one for 1000 bucks could put your friend in more pain and spending way over 1700 total.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What about the 32v V8? I imagine if would fit.....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I wouldn't get to hung up on the link bushings. You can miss poo poo, it happens to the best of us. I imagine it's a cheap and easily fixed part.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I should have added... Nice ride BTW. Looks very clean.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I would bet a vac leak or IAC control. I'm not sure on fords of that era.

I wouldn't expect much over 20 going downhill in terms of fuel economy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So instead of driving your cloth couch down the road, you can drive your fine leather couch, and smoke a pipe.

Nice car, price isn't bad either. Does this have that self leveling suspension or is it just standard coils in the rear?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I can't remember, but I think even just a simple tune were you can get a little aggressive with the timing and fuel rates will yield a few HP, but remember your going to start going into premium fuel territory. Less restrictive exhaust is the first upgrade id do.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
With a little searching and waiting you can easily get a town car for 2000 bucks

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm going to sound stupid... But does the 5.4 drop in place of the 4.6 on panther cars?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mooseykins posted:

If it's Supercharged. A naturally aspirated 5.4 bolts right in. (4.6 and 5.4 are Ford Modular engines on the same block architecture.)

Ok then what about the 32valve motors? is it a direct bolt in or are the heads to big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It would be cool to do a proper super charged engine, with just a small cowl, just enough to keep it subtle. I just don't have the shop space to do anything right now. I was offered a cheap crown vic (500 - the body was really nice) with bad timing chains, I figured the motor is trash, but if I am going to do it, I would add some power, maybe a different rear axle gearing.

:sigh: The things about life... never enough space, time or money or any combination of those.