Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thing rules.

I have never seen a cop car in that colour (detective cars here are brown). What's the paint code?

Also get more police steelies (I would run the CVPI steelies + hubcaps on a fox body in my alternate-universe American hot rod). Aren't they built tougher than regular steelies?

The cool thing about some CVPIs is that after they've been retired and their rear pee seats removed, they often will slot in the original fabric rear seats which means you have some low, low miles back seat. Unfortunately you still have the pee seat. :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

I've heard the transmission needs regular servicing, it currently shifts like butter and I intend on keeping it that way. Everything works. I dont know what to do with myself.
Hook 'em.

Also how did they patch that hole on the rear passenger quarter? Any rusty holes on the roof where the lightbar used to live?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You could probably tie a string from the top of the steering wheel to the spotlight to get adaptive headlights without having to have any friends. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa, look at who has big engineer pants here.

Ok, use a bungee cord. Or a complicated system of same including one that loops under the car and attaches to the underside of the wheel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe time to buy a Blackvue or something, run a dashcam and show us all the people who are afraid of you.

Plus now you probably have a bitchin' work car for when you quit your job and become a theme stripper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Doesn't the firewall gasket for the steering shaft get worn out too?

Doesn't look like the bearing kit comes with it based on that pic (although it is called the boot..) and you should definitely replace it while you're doing the shaft (hurr).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Why isn't that avatar animated?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The nice thing about American cars it seems to me is that there are a shitload of OEM parts you can swap on from other platform mate models. Are there no Panthers that have thicker sway bars that would be cheaper from a junkyard than addco aftermarket gubbins?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It might be cheaper to chop the blades off the existing sway bar and weld in a bigger bar of spring steel? I assume that's what all the custom swaybar manufacturers do to make theirs.

This is also coincidentally why I haven't bothered to learn to weld. "Hey, time to make my own chassis components and then drive to work on them!"

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 6, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is basically the only reason I don't have a V6 SHO intake mani in my garage art collection. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Turtle Wax headlight kits on sale hell yeah.

Great. Now put laminx on it or you'll be doing this again in a month :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You're gonna need to buy aviators and suspenders to go with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Too bad it's only 7, or you could have FIVE WHOA or WOOP WOOP.

I guess you could do "5 WHOA."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Reminds me of the story of the PhD scoring a free upgrade to first class by putting "Doctor" on his tickets, only to end up being asked to help a fellow passenger in medical distress in-flight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

Tally here :) I traded my LS in on a Subaru WRX 2 weeks ago, and am already about to gut the uppipe due to that very fact.

Swap for an STI or an 06+ WRX up-pipe. Gutting is a pain in the butt and you can get more than the up-pipe in costs back by selling the catted one to an emissions state.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sunshine Mix posted:

It isn't anything incredible off the line. I think the Marauder is much better appreciated as a solid, capable sedan rather than as a muscle car.
That makes it sound broken to me. It's your duty to now secure a blower and make it into a muscle car again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I had a Police Interceptor badge on my Miata from the PO for a little while. Unfortunately it ended up in the trash when I debadged the rest of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How'd you end up getting that wheel? Too bad the eBay prices were so steep.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would assume the absolute nicest P71s are the detective cars with the highway cars second. Too bad it seems hard to get a detective car around here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just can't trust air suspension for quick cornering work although I fully acknowledge that's not what the Panther is for.

I do recommend the air horn solution though. Don't even do a plenum, just wire it in directly so it honks every time the shocks deflate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Junkyard part? I've had good luck with junkyard compressors and there are many AC specialty shops that deal in rebuilt ones for great savings.

I'd consider going to an AC specialty shop for a second opinion if you've got one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Swap your trunk for a cop's trunk when the cop isn't looking, then wait for the cop to come out of the donut shop.

The tagger will get his mouth fractured and you'll get a nice new trunk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Today I learned that Ford made a special 4r70w trans oil pan for U-Haul trucks (F8UZ-7A194-AA) that fits the P71 and eliminates it as a low point when you're hopping curbs.

http://www.p71.ca/P71interceptor.com/p71interceptor.com/tranny/uhaul/oilpan/pictures/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

I had no idea how horrible the side crash test ratings are for Panthers. My wife looked it up on a whim because she loves Vics and has been serious about her next car having good to excellent ratings....Back to the drawing board :(

It's pretty bad. Jack Baruth's family got big-time hosed up in his Town Car a few years ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Throw junkyard Vic panels on it. Who cares if it even matches?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not sure if this is a valid use for the Panther megathread but I got a free '88 Town Car Signature a few months ago and have just now sat down to fix it.

The PO stated the main problem was that the AMP light never turned off, which I think interrupts the alternator from working and nobody is happy.

I pulled the alternator only to find out it was a practically brand-new Motorcraft rebuild. It's a 75A unit, internally-regulated.

When I was picking through the wiring harness on the drivers' side, I found this quick-disconnect on the alternator harness has cracked in half and is rotten through with copper corrosion:

It's basically rice-paper brittle if I try to handle it by hand so I haven't been able to get it unplugged yet. Does anyone know what the replacement for this part is? I can't seem to find reliable parts fiche or wiring diagrams for this car. 10882-4 hasn't turned anything up.

Also curious how I'm going to be able to re-crimp this wiring; it is fairly heavy gauge considering the relatively wimpy alt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not sure if this is a valid use for the Panther megathread but I got a free '88 Town Car Signature a few months ago and have just now sat down to fix it.

The PO stated the main problem was that the AMP light never turned off, which I think interrupts the alternator from working and nobody is happy.

I pulled the alternator only to find out it was a practically brand-new Motorcraft rebuild. It's a 75A unit, internally-regulated.

When I was picking through the wiring harness on the drivers' side, I found this quick-disconnect on the alternator harness has cracked in half and is rotten through with copper corrosion:

It's basically rice-paper brittle if I try to handle it by hand so I haven't been able to get it unplugged yet. Does anyone know what the replacement for this part is? I can't seem to find reliable parts fiche or wiring diagrams for this car. 10882-4 hasn't turned anything up.

Also curious how I'm going to be able to re-crimp this wiring; it is fairly heavy gauge considering the relatively wimpy alt.

Update, here's what some guy on Lincolns Online had to say:

gadget73 posted:

You've found one of the reasons these cars catch on fire.

Will probably end up going 3G and rewiring this whole mess now, awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have that cabin air filter on my 88 TC which is a very good thing because otherwise it would be mouse turd city.

Probably junkyardable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So my '88 Town Car has AM radio, and tape, but not FM radio (it just seeks forever and plays static). Does anyone know which of the two antennas is the one that works for FM?

The power stick antenna deploys itself when I turn the car on, and retracts when I turn the car off, but doesn't respond to the "ANTENNA" toggle switch on the dashboard (is it supposed to?)

I have no idea what the boomerang antenna on the trunk is supposed to be for.

Haynes manual doesn't have a wiring diagram for my year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Free Town Car brothers :respek:

That thing looks way nicer than mine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

boxen posted:

*Eyes "not for personal use" 3D printer at work speculatively*

It's training, not personal use.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fender Anarchist posted:

3, makes me think this shop doesn't really do any diagnosis at all and just shotguns the most profitable parts cannon work at it that they can.

This is the conclusion I am ambling towards as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sweet. Now that you've mentioned it, I am kinda surprised there's no el camino kit for the panthers.

Isn’t that what the Ford Durango was supposed to be?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

boxen posted:

What killed the cats in the first place? Were they the cause of the flashing check engine light were they both symptoms of something else?

Flashing CEL is almost always a misfire, so it was probably dumping a boatload of unburned fuel into the cats. That'll pollute them and clog them up in short order.

Misfire causes could be a whole spectrum of "Ford things." My money is on: bad coilpack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

boxen posted:

I haven't had that issue in my TC but (points at thread title) could that be a cause?

Ah, you got there before my edit did. Yeah, my guess would be coils. A secondary guess would be that the PO replaced the coils, thinking he was fixing it, but did a bad job. IIRC they have some stupid little rubber boot that slips off of the pack if you're not paying attention or are sundowning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is it feasible to do a conversion to the GM truck coils? Those are dirty cheap these days and junkyards are overflowing with them.