Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yesssssssssss, welcome to the club. I paid $1800 for mine with no bullbar, a busted header panel and grille, and 140k miles and no spotlight. But at least I got the cloth rear seat :v:

Seriously, be prepared to love that fucker. It will run forever, and take any kind of abuse you throw at it. Just don't expect it to be super quick. They've got a good amount of power and from a 60 roll they will move, but they're not exactly the fastest barges out there. Also, I really hope you like being caught behind traffic that refuses to do anything but the exact speed limit anytime you come up behind them. It's usually a 50/50 shot on people forming a rolling roadblock because they're too afraid to speed, or immediately moving over and letting you by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

14", does yours have the Police Interceptor badge on the trunk? If not, it might be a Street Appearance Package. IIRC those came with the chrome grilles and no police badging. The black honeycomb grilles were stock on the P71s after... 2000, I think? Not sure.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hmm, might just be an option I don't know about. Our local Chief of Police has a silver P71 with Police Interceptor badging but the chrome slatted grille instead of the black honeycomb, so... v:shobon:v

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

No prizes, but I did just whip out of a parking lot and turn my headlights on because it was drizzling and the dude in front of me immediately popped his hazards on and pulled over. I wasnt even chasing him down and obviously dont have strobes.

And so it begins :allears:

I can't freak people out as much, mine has glasspacks and Bullitt wheels :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Mine is an LX Sport, has 17" alloys and chrome trim and it still freaks people out. It looks nothing like any local police cruisers marked or unmarked, I don't get it.

"Maybe it's like... an undercover!"

Yours at least has that going for it. I love how mine looks and sounds, but the only time it terrifies people is at night when I come flying up behind them and all they see is the headlights :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ooof, that patch job by the taillight is rough.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh god that roof. Nice to see you still have the ticket light though. I still have mine but the cover busted off so it's EVEN BRIGHTER. I think my ticket light can illuminate cars next to me :v:

Also, if we're consolidating here as Panther owners, can I show off mine? Because I love mine :allears:

Love that big barge. Out of the cars i've owned, it's my favorite by far.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

If we're going to have it more inviting to all panther owners, how about "I think it looks more like a Puma- Panther Parking Only" as the thread title?

I like it. But honestly man, it's your thread, it's up to you if you want it to be the Panther owner's megathread.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

My ex room mate went down for selling coke to an undercover in a Town Car for what its worth.

Course, I've also seen someone get pulled over by an undercover Neon. How do you manage to pull THAT beat?

Hey, at least he gets a Neon and isn't one of those poor bicycle cops :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Strawberry posted:

Got it.

drat I want one. It's built like a truck, I can sort of (ab)use it like a truck, and spill coffee in it and not give two shits. That huge trunk is perfect for hauling all sorts of crap.

I managed to fit like 3 full size spare tires in my trunk alone, no lie. Real life tests with friends have also proved that they can hold one grown male, sitting comfortably, without issue :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I forget what i'm using, I think some cheapy VR3 Wal*Mart special, but you'd be surprised just how good the stock speakers are. I've cranked mine up pretty loud and cranked the bass on my deck while listening to Glitch Mob and good lord those speakers sounded good. They have a surprising amount of bass to them for the factory speakers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Nah, stock speakers are ALWAYS the weak link of a system. If you think the stock speakers sound good, just think how good some cheap Pioneer/Kenwood 3 ways would sound. I would probably even do 6x9's in the rear deck for better bass, I just didn't go that route because I didn't feel like cutting a bigger hole.

Well yeah, i'm not disagreeing with that, i'm just saying for factory speakers they sound amazingly good :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ahaha, emissions testing. Poor suckers, come to the glory of Arkansas where we have chipped diesels rolling coal and mid 90's GM products with exhaust leaks running around everywhere :smug:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Nope, pretty sure every Vic is cruise ready, all it needs is the wheel with the buttons. P71s are the only Vics that came without the cruise wheel. Probably because they didn't want cops using it :v:

Wait, you sure about this? When I bought my P71 it already had a wheel with the cruise control buttons and it's interior matched and factory looking. Of course it also has the mounting points for a carseat harness in the back too.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Your car probably wasn't a cruiser then, maybe a detective P71 which tend to be a lot nicer.

I've never seen a cruiser with CC.

Hmm. Could be. It's an old county car that belonged to one of the deputies that patrolled the town I grew up in, so lord knows how they fitted it. Hell, they left the radio gear in the trunk when they sold it to me :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ Ahaha. Yeah they do sound mean.

Motronic posted:

If you bought it recently the radio gear was left because it is worth less than nothing.

Everyone had to switch to narrow band a few years back due to an FCC ruling. The old radios are basically of no value anymore as most of them are too expensive to convert to either naroow band or to usage on a band that doesn't require narrow band (like for business mobile or amateur use).

These FCC rulings are basically Motorola's sales channel.

If by "worth nothing" you mean "worth $350 when sold on eBay" :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

Good on you! That's real money. It must have been newer/more useful than a lot of what one would typically find abandoned in them.

Heh, i'm clueless about radios, but this is what it was:

I would have been happy with $20, so that $350 was a drat nice surprise.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I just had a cop wave at me on a country backroad out past Olympia. poo poo's awesome.

It never, ever gets old.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This just started parking on the street :tinfoil:

It's the GTA effect. Soon your entire street will be nothing but Crown Vics :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I have never felt less safe in the driver's seat than I did in a new Camaro. I love giant greenhouses.

Oh thank god, it's not just me then. My mom has one and every time I ride in that thing I feel so drat cramped and unable to see. It has the tiniest side windows I have ever seen.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh hey, my state is getting all kinds of snow right now, probably a bad idea to be driving a RWD barge, right?

Wrong :allears:

I love how planted it is unless I kick the pedal and make it slide.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6x23uHnYs
Yeah, I replaced the stock mufflers with a pair of Flowtech Red Hots. Cheap little glasspacks but they make a wonderful crackling sound when you really get on it. I maaay end up replacing them with Flowmaster Super 44's eventually, not sure yet though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And I love the Mustang rims (or are they look alike?). Both of these cars look great!

Bullitt knockoffs, haha. They're 17x9, +30 offset all the way around. I want to replace them with some proper offset ones that are wider and fit better since these require hefty spacers, but they were $200 for all 4 so I can't complain too much :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I think I am rocking 245/45/17 on all 4 wheels, I THINK. I'd go check but it's covered in half a foot of snow outside right now :v:

But yeah. I had to have 1.25" spacers up front because the back of the rim was grinding the balljoints. And then I've got 1.5" in the rear to make it look right and keep the rim away from the suspension and wheelwell.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Because you guys are all bastards, I have been looking at retired cruisers.....

What do you guys do about the hole in the middle of the seats in the front? Do you find a new center console or what? I was just curious!

I just left the gap there in mine. Makes for a nice, easily accessed spot for my camera bag and tripod :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Velour split bench is the correct seat for sexytime. And/or 8 passengers.

Not gonna lie, I keep getting tempted to replace my two front buckets with a bench but then I am reminded that as bad as I slide in the stock seats in my P71 during hard cornering, a bench would be infinitely worse :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

No joke. gently caress, 14", you're making me really want to get a Setina pushbar for my '01.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Frog Lip posted:

Just wanted to drop in, I'm new to the panther club, just bought a 03 Mercury Marauder with 158k on it. To be a 4 door boat, that car really flies.

Oooooh, Marauder. Make sure to post pictures. I've seen a whopping one running around here and the poor thing is abused, the owner chews tobacco and just spits all over the interior :sigh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So out of curiosity, I looked back for leica's post on axle codes and went out to check mine. Turns out I have the X5 3.27 locker. I'm not sure if I should be stoked or not but drat, that might explain why it's such a hoot to drive in rain and snow :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Sinestro posted:

It's a former CHP car, there is only one option: ESTRADA.

If you don't go with the BDR 529 option, this is pretty much perfect, just saying.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Goddamn there is nothing sexier than the belt whine from a beefy supercharger setup :flashfap:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This happened today. Only 10k to go until I hit the 200k mark :toot:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

If that was a Whale instead of an Aero i'd be all over that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

There is something oh so right about Panthers with blowers poking through the hood :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

11BulletCatcher posted:

Guys, I just saw the most amazing thing: A Crown Vic Police Interceptor with police decals cruising the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKXObHdQLc

That thing is bigger than their SUV's, and I find that hilarious.

Oh hey, I remember that guy. Back when I was in the CVN Facebook group he posted that video and yeah, it was the weirdest drat thing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Parked in Belltown for a half hour earlier.

... What does that even say?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You guys are dicks, look what you made me do

2005 CVPI from the local county sheriff's department, 134k on the clock, every possible piece of paperwork and maintenance history, brand new spare, and the original title. Now I just need to see if I can get temp tags in NC without an NC driver's license so I can bring it to Ohio for the title transfer and registration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XYCAxxnSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XYCAxxnSc

One of us, one of us...

I need to wash mine. loving doves have bombed it to hell and back and it's a mess :sigh:

EDIT: Okay, so here's a question. Do any of you guys get terrible, loud clunking from the front end whenever you go over a bump while turning? It seems like if i've got the wheel cut fairly sharp and I hit a bump or pothole, there's immediately this loud-as-gently caress CLUNK from my front suspension. It's mildly unnerving.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 25, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

What game is that? I've basically recreated my car in Saints Row The Third, trying to find one in Saints IV.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I have my first question. I have the ridiculous cop spotlight on it, but it is super fogged to the point there is water in the lamp. I am torn between fixing it and removing the thing because it is preposterous. How tough is either of those? I have done some of my own repairs in the past to like, exhaust systems and changing belts and wiper motors and poo poo but GOOFY COP SPOTLIGHT is new territory for me.

If you want to remove it and get rid of it, feel free to let me know. I've been wanting to get one for my car but i've been too lazy to go shopping around.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Crosspostin' this from the Automotive Photography thread.

Rainy Day by T1g4h, on Flickr

I dig the grass at the bottom :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

On a test drive, what should I be looking for, in regards to that problem?

Also, what else are trouble spots I should look out for?

One last question, does anyone drive these cars in winter? How are they for it?

I've successfully driven mine, in the foothills of the Ozark mountains, in a good half a foot of snow on Kumho All Seasons with no real issues until I got to a super steep incline that even 4wds would struggle with. Granted that was with 50 - 100lbs of turnout gear in the trunk, but still, they handle snow surprisingly well.