Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
So I bought a 2003 CVPI. It seems pretty rad so far. I should take pictures or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have my first question. I have the ridiculous cop spotlight on it, but it is super fogged to the point there is water in the lamp. I am torn between fixing it and removing the thing because it is preposterous. How tough is either of those? I have done some of my own repairs in the past to like, exhaust systems and changing belts and wiper motors and poo poo but GOOFY COP SPOTLIGHT is new territory for me.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Caps wont work because all the ones I've seen have been a U shaped channel cut into the door. It looked pretty simple but it was too dark for photos so if you haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll take some nice pictures.

Yeah the big chomp cut into the driver's door weirded me out a little.

leica posted:

Aren't there caps you can buy to plug the hole if you remove them? Unless you live out in the boonies I really don't see a need for a spotlight.

I can use it to annoy other drivers and probably eventually get arrested I imagine.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So periodically I am getting five long chimes from the warning system in the dash; google informs me this means my airbag light is out. Checking the owners manual says SEE YOUR DEALER if one of these is out. This is something I can fix, right? I don't have to replace that whole goddamned cluster, right?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

It depends, does your documentation say it's just the bulb out? or an airbag system fault? It took me like 20 minutes and a 7mm socket/rarchet/extension to pull my cluster to swap bulbs.

The documentation in this instance is googling and finding some crown vic forums that seem to indicate the problem is the airbag light is out, it is an audio warning to note the fault in the airbag system. The fact that the airbag light is not coming on seems to lend credence to this, and I am guessing the airbag system has a fuckup in it which is why the bulb burned out in the first place.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, Ford just uses the world's cheapest shittiest bulbs in their instrument clusters. My '98 Ranger had maybe two out of eight still working when I bought it, and the tach-equipped cluster I bought to swap into it was equally bad.

Maybe. Carfax seems to indicate the last act of this as a county cop cruiser was to "hit an animal" which caused disabling damage to the front, front quarter, and top. "Airbags did not deploy" and they were serviced 30k ago, so you are probably right. I should paint THE DEERSLAYER on the side.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I noticed the owner's manual in mine suggested not putting lights in front of the grill because it would gently caress with cooling; is this actually a thing then or is that just bullshit?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, Ford just uses the world's cheapest shittiest bulbs in their instrument clusters. My '98 Ranger had maybe two out of eight still working when I bought it, and the tach-equipped cluster I bought to swap into it was equally bad.

I discovered driving at night that the trip odometer/gearshift light is the only remaining working dash light, so I am just gonna replace all the bulbs. Question, since autozone is being super fuckin unhelpful here and saying these won't fit but they look like they will, these are the bulbs I want for the dash cluster, right?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

leica posted:

NO. gently caress autozone, order from rockauto. You're welcome.

Holy poo poo, these prices are so much better it is not even funny. Thanks. So this guy right here then?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

More noob questions. The spare tire seems to want to fall off that shelf in the back like fire, should I just give up and throw it in the well and put a board over the drat thing or something or is there a way to get the loving thing to stay where it goes?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I do, I dunno if it is the wrong size or whatever because the tire just sort of falls to a 45 degree angle off the thing, hanging on like mad. I figure I can just cut it down or run the thread down with a threader, but I wondered if there was some veteran trick for it. I notice the cop poo poo sites will sell you all kinds of goofy trunk organizers if I want to get all Holly Hobbie on this mofo.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 14, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK pics.

Hello, big white copmobile.

GOT AN rear end ON HER, SHE DOES.

Only the finest in luxury. If you look close you can see the holes drilled in the dash for the cop poo poo.

Lug for my future telecommunications array.

Perp in custody.

The BELLY OF THE BEAST.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Pulled off the dash panels to get to the lights on the cluster, when I pulled off the center panel (with the trunk release and rear defrost) the engine light came on and stayed on. I am sorta hoping I tripped something in the process of removing the panels, anything obvious spring to mind?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

You mean the MIL/Check engine light?

How would you know? Were you doing this with the car started? Was the light even working before (it should turn on for a short time when you turn the car on) or did you just jar it back into working?

Actually the possibility that I jarred it back into working is pretty large, I had noticed it did not flash when I started and assumed it was burnt out. Time to head down to the parts store and have them check the code.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

MISSION SUCCESS

Lights replaced, all is sunshine. Sort of. Airbag light was MISSING, and replacing it led to an airbag code flashing (22) and then the light staying on. Balls. Check Engine light no longer comes on, but it no longer comes on at all (like before). Took it to the parts store, they ran the code, and everything checked except for a diagnostic cycle which would have to run again since I had disconnected the battery. Thinking of taking it in; I can mess with a lot of stuff but airbag poo poo sort of intimidates me.

ETA: Code 22 is apparently side air bag fault on the driver side. Since I don't have side airbags I looked about, looks like a little yellow resistor is the virtual airbag simulator. Ford part XF2Z-14B022-AA, looks to be about $13 bux. Apparently I can just pop a new one on and that will be good to go?

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 20, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

Not to poo poo on your parade, but understand that if the I/M monitors aren't set it means the bulk of the "check engine codes" (DTCs) that are likely to be set won't be yet and you should have is scanned again to figure out what is wrong. And it's obviously something, as someone went through the trouble of scumbagging the SRS light out of the dash. I can guarantee you that's not all they did to hide problems.

Yeah, that is sort of a concern to me although the place I got it from has a decent rep. I have a mechanic I trust, more or less, so I might just take the fucker in and see what he says.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK, this car is way more loving fun to drive than I was expecting. Goddamn. The 13mpg I am getting is not so cool, but it is a fun 13mpg...

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

With the government shutdown, I am glad I have my road warrior car to tool around in.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So I was cleaning the back of my CVPI and found this:

What is this cable? It was under the passenger seat, I didn't have a chance to follow it back.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

That is a "PL-259" connector attached to coax. It's for an antenna which may or may not still be on the car (or at least the antenna base).

Found it, the lug for it is through the rear windshield. Maybe I should get my CB on.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

It looks like the cable goes to the radio, not the antenna. Dis here is the mount, note it has the other end of that cable plugged in:

Also the check engine light is still hosed, won't light at all. It is showing no codes at all, everything tests clear. It is weird.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

That's just a lovely glass mount antenna base. Throw it out. You can remove it from the glass with a razor blade.

At present since I am not in the market for a scanner or whatever I am leaving it be, it is currently waterproof and whatever plug I would end up sticking in would take doing something to not be. Maybe next summer I will pull out the cop light and patch the hole in the door it leaves and take care of that antenna mount at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So if I was looking for a rebuilt transmission for a 2003 CVPI, where would I even start?