Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Do the Froot Truck or the Starion even count, since neither ever ran?

IIRC Froot Truck ran and drove, for suitably small values of "run" and "drive".

This thing is amazing, though. Next order of business is find a Grand Marquis, or, if they'll fit, a Town Car from which to pull seats. Those front seats look lost in the interior, and bench seats are awesome in cars like this. To say nothing of that back seat; now, I'm not going to get in a dickwaving contest over who's kinkier with a man with a bolt through said dick, but I've never found myself needing car seats specifically adapted to transport someone in handcuffs, but suffice it to say that I don't think you'll have much call for that particular feature, and probably a lot more call for seats someone would want to sit in/seats that haven't seen every possible fluid a human body can produce.
Speaking of seats, from another forum I used to be on comes a tale of a gentleman who worked at an automotive electrics shop who, in the process of de-commissioning an old squad car, discovered behind the back seat backrest a loaded snub-nose .38 special revolver. Figuring they'd like to know about it, he phoned the police department the car had belonged to. The detective who turned up to collect the pistol was the one who had been assigned the car; his only comment was something along the lines of "Heh. I knew that sumbitch had a gun on him!"

Is the speedo "Certified Calibrated"? Does it have a low-gear blockout, or any other weird-rear end police-package specific equipment?

I think you've made a great find here; these are excellent cars for someone who knows how to work on cars, lots of little stuff will be worn out but the base vehicle itself is tough as old boots. Even the frame on the P71 is tougher than the normal CV frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

leica posted:

Looks like it would take less time to just replace the motor. A used 4.6 can't be that much....

Are you absolutely positive it's a rod knock? Have you had it checked out?

Just for the sake of argument, what else fits in the 4.6's place? 460 Big-block? 10cyl. from a van? I bet if the 10cyl. fit it'd go like stink. I've always had the idea kicking around my head to combine the frame and suspension from a P71 with the body of an old square Town Car, the 10-cylinder motor from a commercial truck, and some kind of stick-shift. Is that just a pipe-dream, or something do-able?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Perusing my IMGUR account:

Saw that one ^ parked outside the Marriott in Coralville, IA a few years ago.

Why does a Town Car need a forestry-service type brush gaurd???