Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Can I get an opinion on my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS? I'm at 250K on the original 4.6l engine. I love the hell out of this car and other than some minor body issues (driver seat is wore out, a scuffed bumper, the pins holding up the headliner fell out) it's in good shape. I did have to replace the intake manifold once.

Do I replace the engine on this thing and keep driving? Jasper quotes the following:

Price: 3183.00
Core Charge: 800.00
Skid Charge: 250.00
Kit Price: 347.00

Good deal or not? Has anyone had experience with Jasper on Panther-type engine replacements? Should I be asking this somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Anyone have experience changing out the AC compressor on a Panther body? I've got a 2001 Marquis with the original compressor that I suspect has died. AC is the one part of a car I've always been hesitant to work on. How hard is it?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Anybody got a good source for interior parts (i.e. replacement seats, etc.). I'm ready to pay a little more to avoid the junkyard. 01 Marquis LS if it matters.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Cage posted:

Hello thread. I'm doin my part to keep cars big.

2007 grandpa car, garaged with 71k miles. More pics tomorrow when I pick it up.

Man, glad to see this. So many beat up Panthers rolling around my town, love how fresh it looks.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Fuckin' awesome

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I really miss my Marquis. If I wanted to hunt for a Panther in good condition where should I look (other than CarMax)?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I need buying advice.

So there's this 99 Grand Marquis a friend of a friend has. 100k miles and the body and interior look great (other than cigarette smell). Current owner wants $750 for it.

Problem is the PO ignored the flashing check engine light. He ruined the cats (which have been removed) and melted some wiring in the process.

Am I a schmuck for taking a flier on this thing? A garage I trust says they can replace the cats for ~$800 all told. I will, of course, have to get a quote from an auto electric garage about wiring and ensuring whatever ruined the cats has been fixed.

My thinking is that even if I put around $2500 into the thing I'd have a used car for a lot less than I could find otherwise.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Yeah, apparently the guy replaced all the coil packs -after- he had ruined the cats.

I'm still weighing this one. The quote from the auto electric guy will be the deciding factor.

Thanks to whoever posted the auto tempest link. I could just skip all the hassle, save a few thousand more and buy one from there that's already running. There's more of these available now than I would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Ended up passing on it. Just going to save my money and get a better one in a few months.