Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I looked at about a dozen CV's today in my car lot jaunt and man, I just don't see what you guys do. They do nothing at all for me. But I'm still glad you got a nice car 14"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

I really hope my sarcasm meter is just broken.

Since there's hundreds of adapters to tie that poo poo into any major-name head unit now

Unless you have a BOSE system. gently caress, you insert a CD and it breaks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

Same with Mazdas. If you want to upgrade ANYTHING to the stereo, you have to upgrade everything. Otherwise it's not balanced at all.

It's nearly loving impossible to upgrade the head unit in the 6 because of how everything is integrated around it. And most of the dash replacement panels are brittle as poo poo. The most popular option I've seen is putting a second HU in the glovebox or trunk and using a remote to control things. As for speakers, it's not too hard to upgrade those but I gave up because I loving could not get the door card to snap loose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

That's what sucks about the Mazda 6 and 3's. I really want a 6 wagon but I can't stand the lovely integrated system. And I feel sorry for all the people that bought base models and can't upgrade the crap stereo. Bose is lovely, but it has to be better than the base unit.

As STR mentioned earlier, there are kits for swapping out the HU and retaining your HVAC and steering wheel controls. But I've seen numerous reports on M247 of the kit just crapping out all of a sudden. The integrated systems are so easy to gently caress up I decided to just leave it as is and just jump in an aux port rather than gently caress everything up. I still can't fathom how a car built in 2007 didn't support MP3 playback from the factory. I bought a $50 HU for my old Jeep that supported MP3 new out of the box. loving BOSE.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You stole it, no question. Retired P71s go for 3k around here with twice the mileage.

If you keep it it will go another 200k easy.

Like he's going to keep it that long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah that's why I added the "if".

I'm just saying with his skills he could keep it going forever with minimal effort. Once he gets all the worn suspension parts replaced it's basically just fluid changes, brakes and tires for the next 100k.

We both know some slutty old Honda is going to catch his eye in the near future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Or aircooled VW

We all go back and have sex with an ex at least once in our lives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Actually, with how bad my joints are aching in the morning, and being 6'2, I'm kind of finding that I like the whole seating position and the whole "all this poo poo works properly" part of it. Also it's my first V8 and I finally know what it feels like to be a man.

In looking back at your threads here in AI there's a really good joke on the tip of my tongue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Didn't Fleetwood75 or someone have a drag Crown Vic a few years back, it might have been a more boxy generation?

Yeah, he had a bunch of SVT parts on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Bunch of enablers...

Stack so fat it won't fit in my wallet. And I'm driving a former Californa highway patrol 2008 p71 To work tonight.

Do your neighbors hate you now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
'90's are still Panthers right? I'm checking out a friend's younger brother's 1990 LTD CV as a possible daily beater since my MS6 is going to be MIA another week and borrowing a car is annoying. Buddy says the little bro would let it go for $1000 and it's in amazing shape with little rust.

We shall see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yep It's a Panther, and it probably has the 5.0 liter.

If it's clean and runs good you can't go wrong for a grand.

Good to know. Just weighing options since I don't see myself getting my car back within the next week and I need a freaking vehicle!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You'd be able to drive it for fuel cost and maybe an oil change or two, and be able to make your money back and maybe more when you decide to sell it. Even if you put money into it like tires or brakes, etc. you should be able to make it all back as long as the car stays clean and runs good.

Very good to know. Gonna message the kid tomorrow and see if I can see it before lunch. I guess he wants a bike so the boat has to go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahhh quit enabling my bad decisions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I'm sitting in my car checking my emails in front of the pet store and a gentleman just knocked on my window to report a suspicious looking bag on the sidewalk a couple stores down.

Do you wear aviators?

Time to start. I'd grow a bitchin' handlebar mustache while you're at it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kid sold the CV I was gonna look at and I still need a DD so thoughts on this?

Thoughts on this?

2000 Mercury GM 124,000K miles, $3200. I know a guy who works at this place so I should be able to get them to drop the price. Forgot to snag the VIN to run it but it looked straight and solid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

^^^^That's a good price.

What should I look for before I make an offer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, my friend quit working at that lot so there goes any chance of getting the GS for super cheap.

Just ran the VIN, totally clean, no accidents, looks good. It's actually a 2003 as someone pointed out earlier.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

You're missing an old boxy Cherokee. :colbert:

Kastein's owned enough to balance things out for all of AI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I tried to buy that Marquis today but nobody showed up to the lot in the hour I was there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

2nd week of July I'm taking time off and hopefully gonna put a dent in the huge pile of parts I have for the Vic. I want to get it done but I'm not exactly excited about it because gently caress working on cars in FL in July :(

And people give me poo poo about living in Indiana. It was 74 degrees outside today and I was able to get my garage sorted cleaned up while barely cracking a sweat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

When I returned the tow dolly yesterday the three guys jumped my poo poo about towing with the vic. The said it was not a valid hookup and it should have never left uhaul. It was pretty funny how little they know when that think that the know everything about towing.

Uhaul gave me poo poo about towing the EXP with the Lightning.

"Your truck doesn't have 4WD, what if you got stuck???"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Midniter posted:

Uhaul people are comically inept and that entire company should burn to the ground. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

They installed a hitch on my old Cherokee and hosed it up pretty badly. Brake fuse kept blowing out and the flat out refused to fix it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

What? I... That... What?
I'm not even sure how I would respond to that. There's words there, bit they don't make any sense.

Well there's two factors.

1. Uhaul's training takes about 45 minutes.

2. I live in Indiana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A guy I used to work with just wrecked his '04 Marauder because he decided it would be a good idea to take it out when the roads were totally iced over.

It's a sad, sad day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some prick is trying to get a law drafted to prevent the sale of police vehicles to civilians because they are SO loving DANGEROUS or some poo poo. His position is that they are not only dangerous to use post police work, but it's too risky that criminals could buy them and pretend to be police. This guy doesn't seem to know that they sold CVs and Impala's outside of law enforcement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T1g4h posted:

He also apparently doesn't realize that people could also just buy a base CV and then get the cosmetic stuff to make it look like an actual cop car, so people could still pretend to be police easily without the sale of former police cars.

I know a dude who loves law enforcement so much that he did just that. He was too fat and stupid to be a real cop so he made his own cruiser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm starting to want one of these again. Fleetwood put a bunch of SVT stuff on his older CV, what's available to make these bastards faster and/or handle better?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smokey Blue posted:

So I was changing the driver side rear tire on my P71 because of a flat and was greeted by this when I popped the wheel off.

Now I need to see if any other fun messages are scribbled on the car somewhere.

Heh, I knew a dude who did this when he was renovating his house. Little "touched this with my dick" messages everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T1g4h posted:

One of us, one of us, one of us...

I constantly think about buying a CV. Hell for what I'd get out of selling the MS6 I could get a nice CV and a decent Jeep to beat around in during the winter.