Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats pretty cool! If I ever manage to get a camera maybe I could toss you various monies to print one up for me? No 3d printer :saddowns:

However some more weight savings has been applied to my boat over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I broke the part of my key that attaches to a keyring so I got some blanks online and had em keyed for a few bucks. Tried programming the keys myself since I have two sets. After programming a new key the PATS light was supposed to light up for a few seconds but it didn't. Today I drove to work using the new key but I had the old key in my pocket in case it didn't work.

1) The key in my pocket was too far away to be read, right?

2) I must have programmed the keys right, right? Its hard to find much info, but it looks like using a non-transponder key in a transponder ignition will most likely cause it to crank and never start? The guy at the key shop mentioned something about the car possibly stalling too if the key isn't programmed. If I took a 20 minute drive on the highway should I consider myself safe?

3) Its possible for PATS to be disabled by a tuner but I didn't request it and I assume marty wouldn't do that by default. I also have a remote starter but it was installed by a reputable shop...those are only supposed to disable that PATS system for remote starts and not 100% of the time...right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

randomidiot posted:

Is yours a former fleet (police or otherwise) or civilian vehicle?

The fleet cars almost always had PATS disabled. If it did have PATS, the transponder key would need to either be in the ignition or held up to the steering column while trying to start, otherwise it would crank/no start. It sounds like your car is ex-fleet.

A tuner can disable it, but Marty doesn't normally do that unless you're going to him in person. If your car was always civilian, it's possible a previous owner installed a remote start, and taped part of a transponder key near the ignition switch (it'd be under the plastic trim).
Always civilian. I had the remote start installed myself at a pretty reputable shop. If they do stuff like tape keys to ignitions it'd be the first I'm hearing of it. I guess I'll just assume I programmed the keys correctly and carry a spare for a little while?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm not sure if my old keys were a cloned set or a proper 1+2 set. Either way as long as my car isn't gonna stall out randomly I'm good 👍

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I can see the paint coming off in the wind...but the corner light??

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Not going for any world records but it only took me 15 minutes and I didn't even get my hands dirty! Happy friday!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Bummer.

Only issue I have is that mine has a limited slip rear, and the donut is smaller than the full sized tires, so if I get a flat on the rear, I have to sap a front back there and put the donut on the front.

Update from my above post - the new headlights work fine. I'd say better than what they replaced, even when they were new.
I swapped the donut in about 15 minutes and then spent 20 minutes googling on the side of the road because I too have an lsd! I took it slow and swapped it as soon as I could.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I do have a total of 12 (!!) tired wheels sitting around for this car so I guess I have no excuse!

I just have to sell the original wheels that came with the car. I have 6 of em but they're not exactly cool so I don't look forward to getting rid of them.

Cage fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 12, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

FYI, assuming they did the same on the Panthers as the Mustangs, there should be a physical metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts calling out that it's an LSD and needs friction modifier on fluid changes.
Mine came with an open diff and I had a shop throw a limited slip in there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Broke: Alternator died while driving. Took about 10 minutes to go from "hm, never saw a battery light appear on the dashboard before" to car dead on side of the road.

Woke: Takes like 20 minutes to install a new one in these cars. Awesome!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
We recently got some bitter cold and snow in the northeast, it's all good now and the car was a trooper but the first bad day when I did start the car up I didn't have any window function anywhere in the car. None of the doors will work any of the windows, and the drivers door switch panel doesn't light up anymore. Everything else works. There is a relay the seems to be just for the windows?

2005-2011: Circuit breaker: Power windows relay feed (RUN/ACC)

Should I try anything else?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Replacing that relay didn't work. :<

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have an 07, I've mostly been using this - https://fuse-box.info/mercury/mercury-grand-marquis-2003-2011-fuses-and-relay

I can go check this fuse I guess -
9 2007-2011: Ignition (ON/ACC) - Door lock switch illumination, Heated seat switch illumination, Moon roof (2007-2008), Overhead console, Radio, Antenna, Electrochromatic mirror, Window relay coil

My radio still works though so thats why I haven't looked at that one yet (and its cold). My next guess was a new driver's master switch so I guess I can stand to be cold for a little while while checking fuses before I try that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

No I didnt need that paint you can have it. :sigh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
None of my windows are working, none of the door window switches light up. Everything was hunky dory before the snow, all the windows stopped working at once. Tomorrow Ill just go pull a bunch of fuses I guess!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I checked all the fuses and nothing was blown :mad:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So about 6-8 months ago all my interior lighting went out. The fuse will instantly blow when I replace it.

My power windows stopped working about 2 months ago.

All signs are pointing to a short somewhere in the system, right? I'm going to check the wiring in the doors and the wiring around the visors as those seem to be most suspect. After that though I'm lost. I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I swear sometimes I think this car is cursed.

Its at least 12 inches long. Happened while parked in my apartment complex. Luckily I have full glass coverage so I'm getting a brand new windshield put on tomorrow.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have a beautiful new windshield now.

Had two little pieces of tape that I was supposed to leave on for a day. I removed it and a nice section of paint. :slap:

And now I have some less beautiful wheels that I'll be using for the summer.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

New shoes for gramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I may have made an oopsie for myself. I have 225/60r17 on the rear and 225/65r17 on the front. I thought it wouldn't be a big enough difference but my traction control light came on when driving to work only when I was on a curve. Straight roads were fine.

I'm signing a lease tomorrow so moneys tight for a little while. I'm aware my abs and traction control systems will not be operating at 100% but I won't be harming my vehicle by driving like this for a few weeks will I?