Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Are there many documented Panther 4.6 ===> 5.4 swaps from an early 2000s Lincoln Navigator/Aviator? Seems like a good engine to stick in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

wolrah posted:

It really isn't a great choice. A few have been done but there's a reason they're not common.

The 2V 5.4s are taller and wider for the longer stroke so you have all sorts of fitment issues, but they have the same heads as the 4.6 so they run out of airflow earlier in the rev range. They give you a bit more torque down low but nothing more at the top end.

The 4V engines have plenty of airflow but now those heads are substantially larger and still sitting on the taller/wider block so you have even more fitment issues.

AFAIK the 3V engines require a newer computer so you still have the same fitment issues as the 2V 5.4 but also now need to deal with that, at which point IMO you may as well just go Coyote.

The easiest option for more power is a blower, and if you really want to swap the engine a 4V 4.6 is obviously just a matter of getting the right Marauder parts.

I have seen a few older videos about the swap; do you know offhand if it's more that they don't fit under the stock hood or that they're too wide for the engine bay? Panthers are the biggest passenger sedan with plentiful aftermarket that I could think of to chuck one in, because I'm not as much a fan of Mustangs, cool as they are.

I was aghast at how many of these motors were just sitting in trucks in junkyards. It's not EXACTLY a Terminator motor, but on a whim I emailed Ford's Performance Techline about them and their response (copy/pasted here) was:

quote:

2003 and newer 5.4 DOHC engines have a steel crank and common intake port heads and iron block.
Add H-beam rods and forged pistons and you will have a strong engine.
Don't forget to add a billet oil pump. With the added HP you will be changing the crank torsionals.
The combination is nothing really complex.
Add a moderate amount of boost and proper tuning and fuel delievery.
Intake manifold you are on your own.
FPP does not have parts for those due to how old they are.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 29, 2023

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Just to clarify, the only motor I'm talking about are the 5.4 Intech 4V V8s from the Navigator. (Thank you, btw, I misspoke about the Aviators)

The 2V mods and 3V Tritons are neato but not really what I'm after.