Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
Whew! Finally got through all 52 pages!

This has been a hell of a thread. I have been a Panther fan for most of my life. My parents owned a fully loaded '87 Country Squire in the late 80's, and my first car was an '86 Grand Marquis. Since then, I have owned the following:

1985 Ford Crown Victoria
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Gevenchi Edition
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1986 Lincoln Town Car base model
1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition
1991 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series

Hence, my forum name. ;)

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the older panthers, as I've had PLENTY of experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001

Cage posted:

I swapped the donut in about 15 minutes and then spent 20 minutes googling on the side of the road because I too have an lsd! I took it slow and swapped it as soon as I could.

All of my panthers came equipped with full size spares except for my 91 Towncar. The SECOND that I discovered the doughnut in the trunk, I took the extra full size spare from my Grand Marquis and tossed it in the trunk.

Doughnuts are for dunking, not for driving, IMHO. :cop:

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
I do have a quick question for anyone overly familiar with the DOHC mod motor in the Marauder:

I'm assuming that the 32 valve DOHC motor in the Marauder is the same as the Lincoln Mark VIII and the Mustang Mach I. I'm also assuming that the motor in the 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra is also the same, but with a supercharger bolted on.

So, in theory, a Marauder or Mark VIII could be just a junkyard supercharger and computer reflash away from close to 400 horses, right? Or am I missing something?

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001

wolrah posted:

The DOHC 4.6 had a bunch of different variations over the years, they're not all equal. The '90s models use a block cast by Teksid in Italy, Ford then changed to an in-house block produced in Windsor in '01. The supercharged Cobra used an entirely different iron block. Somewhere in there the heads also changed for improved intake flow. There's probably still something to your idea, but it might not be as straightforward as bolting on a blower and flashing the PCM.

Ah. That makes sense. I don't see very many blown Mark VIII's or Marauders, and if it was as simple as what I originally thought, there would probably be a lot more.

Thanks, Wolrah. :)

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001

wolrah posted:

FWIW that post is the extent of my DOHC knowledge so by no means should you take it as a "no this is a bad idea" just be aware that there are substantially different variants of this motor and the Terminator Cobras' version is the most different. In the end it's still a Ford V8 that shipped for many years so there are definitely ways to turn it up.

A bit of googling found a Motor Trend article about the DOHC 4.6 quoting an engine builder as saying that the Teksid blocks are good for 1500 horsepower. Obviously that doesn't say anything about the heads, pistons, rods, crank, etc. but it's something.

Sure, no problem. I was just curious if it really was just as easy as finding a wrecked early aughts Cobra, and doing a supercharger transplant. I'm sure that companies like Magnussen and ProCharger already make packages for the Mark VIII and Marauder.

While I would LOVE to get my hands on a clean 97 or 98 Mark, or a Marauder, I'm actually considering finding a clean 03-05 Towncar hearse and supercharging that to scare the general populance. :dance:

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001

Waffle House posted:

Are there many documented Panther 4.6 ===> 5.4 swaps from an early 2000s Lincoln Navigator/Aviator? Seems like a good engine to stick in there.

The Aviator, as I recall, is based on the Ford Explorer platform, and never got the 5.4. The Navigators and the Ford Expeditions could be had with the 4.6 or the 5.4.

I am in agreement with Wolrah: The DOHC in the Marauder, the Mach I or the Cobra would be a better swap candidate than the 5.4.

Just out of curiosity, someone posted a pic of a 2010 supercharged Towncar. Does anyone know what type of gains can be had by slapping a supercharger on a stock 4.6?

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
Yup, alternators on Ford products are usually stupid easy to do. I would usually upgrade my alternator with a police package alternator from the same year, and other than an occasional pulley swap, it's usually pretty plug-n-play.

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
I agree with Darchangel: If none of the windows are working, and the door mounted switchgear is not lit up, I'm thinking blown fuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001

Cage posted:

I have an 07, I've mostly been using this - https://fuse-box.info/mercury/mercury-grand-marquis-2003-2011-fuses-and-relay

I can go check this fuse I guess -
9 2007-2011: Ignition (ON/ACC) - Door lock switch illumination, Heated seat switch illumination, Moon roof (2007-2008), Overhead console, Radio, Antenna, Electrochromatic mirror, Window relay coil

My radio still works though so thats why I haven't looked at that one yet (and its cold). My next guess was a new driver's master switch so I guess I can stand to be cold for a little while while checking fuses before I try that.

Quick question: You mentioned that the master power window switch was dead, and none of the windows do anything. If you use the switches on the other three doors, do THEY work?

If the other three windows work when you use the individual door switches, then it's probably the master switch that took a dump. Have you noticed any issues with the windows before they quit?