Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Devyl posted:

You guys are making me want one so I can build the ultimate sleeper car. Twin turbo police interceptor Crown Vic? Yes please.

This has been on my list for a long time. Honestly if I could have found one that I could afford back in school I wouldn't even have the truck. But if I am still alive after I wrap it around a cactus the drivetrain will be going in a p71 next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Rhyno posted:

So I looked at about a dozen CV's today in my car lot jaunt and man, I just don't see what you guys do. They do nothing at all for me. But I'm still glad you got a nice car 14"!

But POLICE CAR!

I was looking pretty hard for one to be the family beater race car, but my computer died a coupe of weks ago and I used up my money to buy another. Am I crazy for wanting one as a 3 driver autocross/rallycross car? I am still wanting to buy in a couple of months when I get my stacks back up.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

opengl128 posted:

Oh thank god a new av. I can finally browse this thread at work again.

Ha, so true. I wonder when his name will change again. Officer 14 inch dick detective?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
talk me out of buying a 2009 black P71 this week

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
You guys are no help, I about to pick one out and put down a deposit. There are 8 to pick from.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Bunch of enablers...

Stack so fat it won't fit in my wallet. And I'm driving a former Californa highway patrol 2008 p71 To work tonight.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Jus had to get my glasses out of the trunk. The car was running and it's still on corn from the CHP. Flex fuel bitches.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I feel it was a good pretty good deal at $3800. I got it from a guy that supplies municipal cars for basically all tv an movies. So this car is 1 of 10 background cars fresh off the set of a Denzel Washington movie that was filmed in NM. New paint, new firehawk GT cop tires on the newer 17in steelies, and everything works like they should locks, handles, power seat, and all lights and electronics. It has the newer dash with the tachometer and hours display. 2008 model with 157k and 3,300 hours on the clock so average speed 47.5 mph like a good highway car witout a shitload of idling. Last title was issued to the CHP and still had 1/4 tank of e85 in it from them. Somehow I forget to have Ickna take an engine bay shot, but it is fully detailed and honestly looks brand new.

Only dent I could find was on the back passenger door at the bottom and I have a set fresh painted front door trim, factory dome/map light an coat hooks in the massive trunk.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 15, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I snapped a quick pic of the bay when I got home

Now my question is for the tag do I go the lol cop route or blues brothers? I do basically look like jake.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Splizwarf posted:

How many letters per plate in your state? What non-letter characters are allowed?
7 letters/numbers or spaces on the standard plate
https://servicearizona.com/webapp/vehicle/plates/personalizedChoiceSearch.do

ones that are available that I came up with before I left work in order of perceived shittieness:

BLUESBR
BLUESMB
JAKEBLS
COP SHX
COP SHOC
COP SHOK

COP C4R
BST EM
CHRYTOP
ROADBLK
EX FUZZ
BLU N 2

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Too bad it's only 7, or you could have FIVE WHOA or WOOP WOOP.

I guess you could do "5 WHOA."

hah, I can't sleep for some reason and cam back to say that WOOPWOO is available,

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I just bought a new steering wheel with controls and hope to have a dealer her enable the cruise control and dome lights with the IDS tool next week. Do you guys know of any place that sell stuff to refurbish the front seats? Mine are not really torn up but the do seem a bit lumpy.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
The p71 is like a greenhouse here in AZ, I'm going to get it tinted today.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I got 21mpg on my first fill up. I probably has 1/8 tank or so of e85 and it was probably 2/3 highway and 1/3 city. Not bad

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Cross post fror the AI image thread, but why do I want to ruin everything I own?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Negromancer posted:

This is the exact car that makes me want to get a p71 and put air-ride on it so I can have it look like that.

Yep, when I crash the truck I will be swapping the turbo ls and and bagging the p71. Also I drove its again today for the first time in a week, and its still awesome. I really like it since I got the ceramic tint installed, now it's like driving a couch in a walk in fridge.

Tomorrow I hope to install the new radio, keyless entry/remote start, and new steering wheel with controls. Then it will be a proper DD.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
ARGGH, I'm on day 3 of the stereo and alarm install. It's a 2008 and apparently my car has a blend of 3 types of harnesses. It has the stereo plug of the 90's, ignition of a 2008 and most of the body more matches the 2009. The colors don't match poo poo so I have been tracing everything with my multimeter and then it took a poo poo. So pissed. Just have to finish the wiring to the door switches, trunk release, and parking lights.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
There are several Vics for sale up in phoenix that are CNG.

And other news $115 for the ford dealer to plug in their IDS tool for 10min and turn on my cruise control and dome light. What a rip, but whatever I want to drive it all over CA next week and that will be nice to have CC for future road tripping too.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

AmericanBarbarian posted:

That is an amazing thing to see in Texas. If you could ask if they bought theirs at a State Surplus auction that would be helpful, and what model year it was. I think I'm lucking out that nearly 100% of the cars I'm looking at are highway patrol cars and not PD patrols cars.

Yeah, highway cars are the ones to get for sure. Another tip is that the newer cars I think 06 and up have an hours meter in the cluster when you cycle the odo/trip. So you can see if it spent an eternity idling. I would not want railway car as those would spend a lot of tile driving lovely dirt road and have probably seen a lot of airtime from crossings and washes. And if its anything like the rail industry the were beat on without mercy as the people I know that work rail company tell me tails of basically destroying new cars and how may transmissions and such they have broken.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

travisray2004 posted:

I've heard of people get pulled over because they have the black/white color scheme on P71s that the police department used and still had the spotlight.

I know that It is illegal in California to still have the black and white.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So any idea on increasing the headlight output? I'm spoiled with the night suns of the Fiat, STi, and hella projectors in the truck. The Vic's are terrible and I don't really want to do a projector retrofit, I think it will kill the look of the front end.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
The car is super easy to work on and I love how easy it was to run the 0awg wire for the amps using the cord covers already in the sills. But the non flat mounting surface for the from door speakers and the like 2x4 speaker grill on the door panel. I have to hand file the contours of the door on the MDF adapters I made to put some comps in the front doors.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Protip: when reinstalling the rear seat be sure to feed the middle seat belt to the front of the seat before you bolt it down. And the bottom cushion is easy to get back in if you get to the hooks in first and then tuck th back in.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

leica posted:

It was leaking right out of the nip. Wouldn't do it non powered, but as soon as I started the car and put the pedal down it came gushing out.

Sounds like you have some poo poo on the seating area or damage to that part of the speed bleeder. That should seal like standard bleeders when tight.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I ordered a go rhino pushbar and some :krad: LED headlights to mount on it to fix the lovely headlight situation. And now that people will drive even slower in front of me I got some supertone to honk an tell them to get the hell out of my way. And a new badge for the trunk since mine did not get put back on after the respray. Oh and last week since I was way too lazy to pull the headliner to remove all the NMO mounts and plug the holes I spent $20 on ebay for some antennas to cover up the big rear end brass lugs.

If the weather holds out this week I will wash it for the first time since I bought it and give it its first coat of wax in preparation for the trip to Vegas and Alabama. And of course get some sweet pics of clean my FauxPo mobile

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
My led lights came in today. I had to call on Friday to check the status of the order after not hearing anything for a few day. The guy was nice and arter being on hold for a bit he told me that they the were behind on filling orders, but they would ship them out that day. 30min later i get an email with a tracking number and it turns out that they overnighted them to me. props to them for taking care of the customer. Since everything was here and the STi was back together I wrapped up the installs on the P71 today

I put the push bar on over the weekend and bent the brackets with the help of my big jack to get perfect clearances to the bumper. And after some "fitting" I got the lights to fit the buckets, and I painted one of the supertones. This might get me in to some trouble, lol

Way more subtle with the grill back on, maybe I won't get in trouble.

I finished wiring that poo poo up just in time for it to get dark to aim them properly. They are on a relay to the parking lights so I can run them with or without the stock lights and they will stay on with the high beams too. and as a bonus the flash when locking/unlocking the car with the keyless and the alarm.

Stock lights only (looks way brighter in the pic)

LED's only

Both lows

Highs and LED's

From the front both lows

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Getting an alignment, hope nothing "needs replacing" today.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Found out my heater dosen't work this morning, nbd in AZ but the window were fogging bad here in AL. Any ideas? I don't feel like there is any resistance on the temp knob. Also no indexes on the temp knob, should there be?

E: google says blend door and dash removal. F that, glad I live in lower AZ.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So far so good, looks like I might be able to get 15mpg too. 14mpg so far with mixed city driving. Only 1600 miles to go to AZ.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I made it back home with no issues, 5400 miles total in two weeks. I got 16mpg overall for the 1800 miles home, which I think is pretty good for towing 4000lbs and keeping up with the speed limits. I have to say that I am really impressed with the P71, best $3800 I have spent on a car.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
When I returned the tow dolly yesterday the three guys jumped my poo poo about towing with the vic. The said it was not a valid hookup and it should have never left uhaul. It was pretty funny how little they know when that think that the know everything about towing.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
It's been 40 degrees outside when I have been leaving for work so I decided its time to fix the blend door actuator and get my heat back. I would have been done in under an hour if I didn't drop the socket into the heater core box. So that ment I had to loosen the rest of the dash to get my hand in there and fish it out. So about 2 hours total to get it done.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I think I am going to put mine up for sale this week. :( I just don't really have a use for it now that I got a job in town. Also the parking deck at the new hospital is really tight and the fiat is way easier to park and gets awesome milage in town.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Still driving the poo poo out if mine, had it less than a year and already put like 30k miles on it. No problems yet. I guess that's why there are not a ton of post in here, they are pretty reliable.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I had the same thing when I went to a tire shop. The only thing that was "listed" for the car was the pursuit tires that the cops used I just want a super high milage tire since I have other performance cars.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
If I could keep mine that's exactly what I would get.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Ok guys, why is my cvpi getting hot and the ac not as cold these days. It get pretty hot when we autocrossed it but I was t too concerned since we were hot lapping it for over an hour in first gear I figured the trans was getting pretty hot and that was the issue with not getting a lot of air with the lower speeds.

The efan is going but does not sound very loud. Is their a high speed?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

lampey posted:

I had my fan controller go out with about 100k miles and 4000 idle hours. It is a very easy part to replace though. It sounds like a similar symptom, overheats when idle or in very low speeds, AC is warm unless going 30+ mph.

Update: I replace the fan and controler and it worked awesome for a day... I am having amazon replace the new fan again an am hoping that it was a QC fluke. Is there any reason I would be killing these? In other new I might be replacing the ac system soon. The compressor is sounding pretty bad since this whole thing and the low side pressure is getting pretty high when the compressor cycles off. Ugg I just wanted to fix it and sell it since I ordered the truck.

The new fan symptom is that it runs on low but will kick up to high for about a second the off again and repeat every 20-22 seconds. Confirmed with a scanner that the dash is reading 3/4 high temp and ecu is saying 240deg coolant temp while it's is doing it.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I can't explain it, but I have an irrational love for my $3500 cop car. It really is my favorite car that I have owned but I don't know why. If is probably the slowest, dosen't get great mpg, and is nothing fancy but I am finding that I am finding every excuse not to put it up on CL since the truck is on order. Now I'm telling myself that I will sell it when I get back from F1 in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Today I learned two things!

Top speed is 130mph and you can set the cruise control there.