Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice find, great price for the mileage.

Crownvic.net is your friend, just do lots of searching/lurking and don't post too much. :v:

If you have any questions about common issues (there aren't many) I can probably answer them. I have an '02 also.

[edit] service the trans ASAP and then every 30k, it WILL poo poo if it's neglected.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not sure who your parts distributors are, but the KYB monotubes are popular upgrades and are super cheap. Also ADCO sway bars make huge improvements, as well as billet rear upper and lower control arms. Instead of spending money on repairs you can spend it on upgrades :)

http://adtr.net/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's just a popular upgrade because it's one of those areas that improves the car a lot. Any chassis upgrade is going to help big time because these cars are so heavy and floaty. The Heinous control arms are the best deal.

In my opinion if I were you since you can get parts at cost, I would rebuild the entire front end with Moog parts, then KYB monotubes, and new springs. If you do that the car will drive like new for relatively cheap. Add a few suspension upgrades like sways and rear control arms and you're riding a lot better than new.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just look under the hood, if it has silicone hoses it's a P71.

Also an fyi, if the steering wheel feels "loose" especially on rough roads the lower and mid steering shafts are wear items and may need to be replaced. I'm currently dealing with it on my car. Also any parts you need to get from a Ford dealer order through Tousley.

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Oh, will the 4.6 have the spark plug problem I've heard about? The removal or lack therof, I mean.

No. That was for the later motors with the "modified" super long spark plugs that break.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the lenses are cloudy at all they will buff out nice and clear with one of those kits, the Mother's kit is the best one. If you're in the city mostly not a big deal, but out in rural areas it makes a big difference.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

No prizes, but I did just whip out of a parking lot and turn my headlights on because it was drizzling and the dude in front of me immediately popped his hazards on and pulled over. I wasnt even chasing him down and obviously dont have strobes.

Haha, get used to this. People slowing way down in front of you will get annoying after awhile. Also it's funny to see people come flying up behind you on the interstate and slam on the brakes. Once I had a guy on a crotch rocket come flying up and almost wrecked trying not to pass me :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mine is an LX Sport, has 17" alloys and chrome trim and it still freaks people out. It looks nothing like any local police cruisers marked or unmarked, I don't get it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I guess it's just safer to assume every Crown Vic is a cop car? Seems like that's what most people do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But just think of all the money and time saved on repairs and trouble shooting!

Got my steering mid shaft and firewall bearing in today, supposedly they'll make my car feel like new again, we'll see.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 3, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sure, why not.

Also thanks meatpimp for quoting and pointing that out I'm at work an can't edit pics :mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks, edited it out. Could you seriously read that? Because I didn't even notice it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Panther Megathread: Wannabe Cops and Old People ITT

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here's a pic of the parts I tried posting earlier.

Mid steering shaft and the firewall bearing (or BOOT) which it passes through. Not pictured is the lower shaft which I have already replaced. These are wear items, and if you own an '02 or older Panther this is an important part to help the steering and front end feel tight and correct. People rebuild their front ends thinking it's the problem when it's the steering shafts that need to be replaced. Symptoms are "loose" and clunky steering wheel feel, almost like the wheel itself has loose bearings. The knuckle you see on the end of the mid shaft sits right next to exhaust manifold and essentially gets the grease baked out of it. It is not serviceable so it needs to be replaced.

It's recommended that if you rebuild the front end you also replace these parts. Prices quoted from Tousley Ford and are usually the best prices on the net.

Lower Shaft: F8AZ-3B676-AA $129.99

Mid Shaft: YW7Z-3B676-AA $109.75

Bearing (boot): 2W7Z-3C611-AA $25.43

[edit] The family Led Sled:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 3, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Doesn't the firewall gasket for the steering shaft get worn out too?

Guess I'll find out. The guy that did the writeup on CV.net didn't mention it so I'm assuming it can be re used.

I'm also going to be completely replacing the rear air suspension with new air bags and compressor soon so that should be interesting. Gonna need to pick up some 6 ton jack stands because my 3 tons are kinda sketchy under the Vic :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And they are reliable as hell. Mine has over 140k, has never let me down, and I'm just now starting to replace suspension parts. Before the only thing I've done to it is basic maintenance and tires. Did brakes once and a rear axle too. The mpg isn't the greatest obviously, but I'll take the trade off. Every time I think about getting something European to replace it I slap myself in the face because I'll probably never have it this good reliability wise.... Crown Vic and a Miata, can't get much better than that :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got the steering midshaft in and it feels like new instead of like a wet noodle.

Changed the oil too and my Rhino ramps are starting to buckle under the weight :btroll:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's just the body roll that annoys me. I would love to get a set of ADDCO sways to cure that but this needs to be next

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_yid1_pid9_gid462.html

Then probably gonna start rebuilding the front end, new front coils and KYB's all around. Aftermarket goodies won't be happening for awhile :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Marauders, that's it. Mine currently has a Marauder sway bar on the rear that the PO installed, but I guess it's not that much bigger than stock. The ADDCO's are pretty fat and according to people that have installed them they are the best thing you can do for a Panther because they almost completely eliminate body roll.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the P71 is the car you would gank those bits off of if you had a softer Panther car you wanted to firm up. Is the Marauder suspension actually any beefier than the P71?

Not really, the sway bars are a little thicker and that's about it. P71's have the highest spring rates for Panthers and also the stiffest shocks out of the box. But even the PI shocks are adequate at best (I have them), most people run Bilstein if they want decent handling although some people complain they're too stiff. This is coming from lots of old people though. I'd love Bilsteins, but the KYB monotubes are half the cost and from what I understand pretty drat close to Bilstein.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ Looks good

Strawberry posted:

Got it.

drat I want one. It's built like a truck, I can sort of (ab)use it like a truck, and spill coffee in it and not give two shits. That huge trunk is perfect for hauling all sorts of crap.

IMO, it rivals most SUVs for utility. The trunk is huge and also safer as it's separate from the passenger compartment. With SUVs and wagons it's realy not a good idea to stack poo poo higher than the top of the seat. Even then, unless it's secured tightly it's bad news in an accident. Throw a roof rack on top of a Crown Vic and you've got a vehicle that will rival any SUV out there. Crown Vics are awesome camping vehicles :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah manual swaps are pretty common and not that difficult.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've got 4x6 Pioneer 3 ways in the doors and rear deck and it made a huge improvement. I've got the stock premium deck though, it's made by Alpine and puts out plenty of power for me. Plus I have steering wheel controls and I don't wanna gently caress that up :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah, stock speakers are ALWAYS the weak link of a system. If you think the stock speakers sound good, just think how good some cheap Pioneer/Kenwood 3 ways would sound. I would probably even do 6x9's in the rear deck for better bass, I just didn't go that route because I didn't feel like cutting a bigger hole.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I really hope my sarcasm meter is just broken.

Since there's hundreds of adapters to tie that poo poo into any major-name head unit now

The expensive head units maybe. Like I said though, the factory head unit is made by Alpine and is plenty powerful enough, looks good stock, and is ten times less likely to be stolen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's what sucks about the Mazda 6 and 3's. I really want a 6 wagon but I can't stand the lovely integrated system. And I feel sorry for all the people that bought base models and can't upgrade the crap stereo. Bose is lovely, but it has to be better than the base unit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since you're a tech I'll ask you.....What's proper procedure to bleed ABS brakes? I read somewhere to take the fuse out first or something.

Also if you know of a way to test the COPs that would be awesome. Apparently on our cars the COPs slowly lose their efficiency over time, kinda like a oxy sensor I guess....But I haven't heard of a way to test them. They are kinda pricey so I really don't want to replace them all just because.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BAM found this on CV.net:

quote:

Using a multi-meter, Select Ohms resistance.

Place one probe in the spring end,Now place the other probe between the side of the clip on top and either pin.

Wait a second for meter to read.

5.00 ohms is GREAT!
5-5.30 is ok
5.30-5.50 is suspect
Anything 5.50 or above is considered dead and needs replacing

5.60 or more IS your misfire.

Also thanks for checking on the brakes. I didn't think it was any different but I've read conflicting poo poo and I wanted to make sure.

[edit] Also the consensus for coil replacement is OEM Motorcraft, cheaper aftermarket coils are hit or miss apparently.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 12, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I always thought that was the case for any coil, not just Motorcraft.

I know I went through plenty on my Integra before settling on a Denso (OE) part... which then outlasted the car.

Yeah pretty much, but I didn't know whether or not the 8 pack 14" was talking about are Motorcrafts or aftermarket.

Francis Baconator posted:

I see what you did there. Nice. :v:

Um, ok what did I do :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Can't believe I didn't catch that, right over the head :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

They're available, theres a lot on Aurora between 90th and 100th thats got a few of them in SPD blue but all the other ones I've seen are in the 2800-3k range. I think I stole it, considering I was 1400 out the door with tax title and all included

You stole it, no question. Retired P71s go for 3k around here with twice the mileage.

If you keep it it will go another 200k easy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's why I added the "if".

I'm just saying with his skills he could keep it going forever with minimal effort. Once he gets all the worn suspension parts replaced it's basically just fluid changes, brakes and tires for the next 100k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Actually, with how bad my joints are aching in the morning, and being 6'2, I'm kind of finding that I like the whole seating position and the whole "all this poo poo works properly" part of it. Also it's my first V8 and I finally know what it feels like to be a man.

Honestly you should just force yourself to keep it as your DD, you got it super cheap and it will never let you down as long as you own it. If you feel the need to torture yourself again just get project to gently caress with.

Also if you've ever wanted to take a road trip start planning now because you have the best vehicle for it. IIRC cruise control is plug and play, all you need is a steering wheel with the buttons.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nope, pretty sure every Vic is cruise ready, all it needs is the wheel with the buttons. P71s are the only Vics that came without the cruise wheel. Probably because they didn't want cops using it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think so, I could be wrong though. It's stupid easy, I know that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Wait, you sure about this? When I bought my P71 it already had a wheel with the cruise control buttons and it's interior matched and factory looking. Of course it also has the mounting points for a carseat harness in the back too.

Your car probably wasn't a cruiser then, maybe a detective P71 which tend to be a lot nicer.

I've never seen a cruiser with CC.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mine has Cobra mufflers and it sounds awesome :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not very realistic, 14" lucked out. Expect to pay around 3k for non ragged out cruiser with under 150k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah just replace the coil, and that should fix the problem. All you need is a 10mm socket IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

If it's anything like my Lincoln, a flashing CEL is most definitely a misfire, and a bad one, like you are melting your cats from all the unburned fuel escaping. I swear every ford-flavored V8 I've ever touched has had COP issues. Sneaky ones too, not just an outright failure, just a marginal one that you have to pull them and test with a multimeter to chase down.

Yeah I think I'm gonna change my plugs and while I'm at it test every coil and I'll post the results. People on CV.net claim it's how the mpg's slowly get worse over time without you really noticing, the coils just get weaker and less efficient and sometimes never actually die, just barely putting along enough not to throw a CEL. I hate gradual issues like that because it's impossible to tell you even have a problem, even more so because the oem COPs are loving expensive to just replace for the hell of it.

The MSD COPs seem to be getting great reviews though, and are cheaper than oem and an aftermarket name I would trust with making coils anyway. Never heard anything bad about anything MSD makes.