Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly the main reason I use synthetic is longer change intervals so I don't have to do it as much :)

It is worth it though, Mine has had synthetic it's whole life and it looks brand new through the oil filler. I bet if I sent a sample to blackstone they'd tell me I could go even further between changes. I've been meaning to do that but never get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

Visteon's are virtually identical to motorcraft for a fraction of the cost.

Visteon is the European wing of motorcraft.

Where can you get them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the info, I'm surprised I haven't heard about these on CV.net.

14 inch, maybe you should start putting info like that in the OP since it's a megathread now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tousley Ford is the best for dealer parts, I have it linked earlier in the thread with my steering shaft info. Other than that, Rockauto for everything else pretty much.

Also link ADTR for aftermarket performance parts, Arnott for air suspension replacement parts and CV.net.

I'm going to be replacing my air suspension here pretty soon so I'll make sure to document that the best I can.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The '97 I owned would get close to 30 hwy with 2.73 gears. Last year of the aero body style, I loved that car.

My '02 has 3.27 gears and doesn't do near as well per gallon (low 20's), the lovely aerodynamics doesn't help either I'm sure. It is noticeably a lot quicker off the line though, not sure I'd want to trade that off since we do mostly city driving and that comes in handy. The taller gears only help on the interstate, and I imagine the gains for Whales isn't that great.

For whales this is the door sticker axle code chart:

quote:

The axle ratios are:

l C8 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l 58 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l AZ — 3.08 conventional (non-locker)

l R2 — 3.55 conventional (non-locker)

l Z5 — 3.27 conventional (non-locker)

l X5 — 3.27 locker

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah "whale" is the latest body style and "aero" is the generation before it.

AFAIK, all P71's got the short gears as well as the Sport. 3.27's are the shortest stock gears, but lots of people run 3.73's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tested my new foam gun on the Vic, it's fuckin' awesome. Gonna use it on the house too :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's an '02 Sport, no tach but it has bucket seats and console with a console shifter.

What did it for me most was the wheels which are Sport only, and when Ford refreshed the Panther front ends in '03 the wheels changed from going inward to outward almost like FWD wheels. I've seen an 03+ with the earlier wheels and the offset looked odd and way off, so apparently they had to change the wheel offset to compensate for the new front end. Too bad because the early wheels look a lot better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The left one looks like the offset is further out so it's from an 03+ Vic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I think you're right, could very well be a truck wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also if you can find an LX Sport or Towncar console it's a perfect fit.

Or grab a nice split bench :whatup:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What about transferring the seats out of the seats and console out of a town car? I just really like leather seating (I know, I am a huge prima donna).

Town car parts are pretty much plug and play.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Just crested 1,000 trouble free miles in the cop car. Its, uh...a wierd feeling for me.

Kinda nice, huh? I've had my '02 for 7 years and 60k miles, and the only relatively "major" problem I've had was an axle leaking that ended up having to be replaced recently. It's at over 140k now so I guess that's normal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Great. Now put laminx on it or you'll be doing this again in a month :v:

Yeah I did the Turtle wax kit about a year ago and it's even worse than before now. I'm thinking about just buying new lenses, anyone know who makes/sells them cheap?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just "rebuilt" the bottom 3/4 of my steering column and it took less than an hour.

The only thing I can think of to be replaced in the rest is the tilt mechanism, but even that is pretty straight forward. Yeah don't be going to the dealer anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, even with those miles the price is way too high, but some old guy will buy it because LOW MILES.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sports posted:

I really want to make the world's best cruising car.

It consists of a
-suitable Panther-bodied donor car, column-shift (with plush interior)
with a detuned 3.4L v8 from the 1999 Taurus SHO.

Smooth, slow, and safe. I'm basically attempting to make something that's part-Volvo (good) and part-DeVille (smooth).

Any other ideas?

What 14" said. Putting an SHO motor in a Panther is a hilariously bad idea.

A stock Panther is already the world's best cruising car :colbert:

Holdbrooks posted:

You guys are no help, I about to pick one out and put down a deposit. There are 8 to pick from.

How much? If it's a good deal jump on that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Add a supercharger/tune and you're golden.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sweet, don't forget to post pics. So what are you using the car for? Don't you have an Abarth and a WRX already too besides the truck?

Be careful, because once you drive it on the interstate you'll never want to drive those cars on the highway again :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NOT A COP

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you have front plates:

3VOM

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep It's a Panther, and it probably has the 5.0 liter.

If it's clean and runs good you can't go wrong for a grand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You'd be able to drive it for fuel cost and maybe an oil change or two, and be able to make your money back and maybe more when you decide to sell it. Even if you put money into it like tires or brakes, etc. you should be able to make it all back as long as the car stays clean and runs good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, more like you'll want a P71 after driving a Panther for awhile.

I guarantee nobody will gently caress with a P71 parked on your street :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holdbrooks posted:

I just bought a new steering wheel with controls and hope to have a dealer her enable the cruise control and dome lights with the IDS tool next week. Do you guys know of any place that sell stuff to refurbish the front seats? Mine are not really torn up but the do seem a bit lumpy.

I would just look up a good local upholstery shop to "rebuild" them, or if you want to go all out throw some Town Car leather bucket seats in there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

Something else I learned about the Coils on the Lincoln that most likely applies here: If they continue to fail, replace your VCG's. Oil intrusion is why they failed so often.

Good to know, sure as hell won't hurt to do that when replacing the coils.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well luckily for me I live in FL and can replace the cats with test pipes :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tow ratings tanked because of the watts linkage. Not sure exactly why that is, if someone can explain why the addition of watts linkage would effectively ruin towing capacity that would be great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I've heard stories of braking the studs on the watts linkage.

Yeah I remember hearing this too. But what about just beefing it up? There's got to be a way to mod it to make it stronger, it can't be that hard.

[edit] AH HA!! problem loving solved: http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=196

Also, billet links motherfucker: http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_72&product_id=115

Those upgrades right there should increase towing capacity substantially.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 20, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't get too happy, man. Those parts may help but still might not be enough for a trailer with a car on it. I'd do some more research before you depend on a CV to tow your race car on a regular basis. How much does the trailer and car weigh?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've never seen a Panther towing anything significant, so there's that. I camp a lot and live right near the water and have never seen one towing a boat or camper. I suppose if it were the opposite I'd be more inclined to recommend one for towing, but it's just not the case.

Maybe the transmissions could be a weak link also? I know you can't use OD while towing but isn't that true for any auto trans?

Beach Bum posted:

After further research you're probably right. Figure 2500 for the trailer, that gives me only 2500 for car and gear and that's pushing it. I should probably just fix my truck :v:

Jesus you have a truck? Why would you want to buy another vehicle to tow if you could just fix a truck that you already have?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

When I was kid, it was common to see Country Squires and Caprice Wagons amongst the pickups at the boatramp. This was pre-minivan era, and Suburbans were only driven by contractors. It was the only way to haul a family of 5 and all their crap to the river/beach.

Sure, when I was a kid my uncle towed his ski boat with an LTD. I dunno, if I was in the market to buy a dedicated towing vehicle for a large boat/camper/race car I would not buy a Panther. However I plan on buying a lightweight trailer for camping eventually and will not hesitate to tow it with my mine. A pop up may be in the cards, and I doubt the Vic would have a hard time with it. Reasonable is the key term here I think.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^That's a good price.

Lord Gaga posted:

The AOD is a 4R70W like a 1960s flat tappet 260 is a roller 302. It isn't. Theyre both windsor motors, ones miles ahead of the other.

Yeah That's what I kinda figured. I've been thinking of getting a bigger tranny cooler anyway just for insurance from the FL heat durring the summer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

Admittedly I do have a Miata 93LE with the gokart suspension if I want to hoon on the weekends but my next car is going to be: boat, RWD, V8, leather.

I own a '97 Miata and a Panther. Best of both worlds :haw:

Also don't feel like you "sold out" 14, you deserve to have a comfy dependable DD because you bust your rear end on poo poo piles all day. When you can afford it get a second car that you can torture yourself with, but on your terms when you want to and not when you have to. Big loving difference and WAY more enjoyable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

You're missing an old boxy Cherokee. :colbert:

Been there, done that :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Silver and Maroon Marauders look awesome. You don't see them a lot though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Weather Tech Vent Visors help a lot as well as a sunshield. Those as well as tint are a must here in FL.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Only way you're gonna do better is with taller gears.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Batman wrote that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like it would take less time to just replace the motor. A used 4.6 can't be that much....

Are you absolutely positive it's a rod knock? Have you had it checked out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExtremeODD posted:

On these cars how hard would it be to install a trac lock unit? After some rain yesterday noticed my 00 cvpi is damned one wheel peel happy and quite difficult to get the rear end to step out. Im willing to bet I can find at least one 8.8 28 spline unit and the rebuild kits arent too bad price wise. Im just technically not supposed to work on any cars in my neighborhood, but if its only an afternoon project screw it. Or is this something thats better left to someone more knowledgeable?

I wouldn't do it if you can't work on cars where you live because you'll just be rushed and probably gently caress something up. Pay someone else to do it.

Also bagging a Vic would probably be super easy. Most (civilian) of them already have bags on the rear (air ride), so all you would need to do is get bags for the front, splice in to the compressor lines for the rear, disconnect the level sensor in the rear and install a switch.