Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buy 13" Inch Dick's he's selling his :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could be anything, but at worst you could probably have a rebuilt trans put in it for under $1500 so it would still be a good deal if the car is in good shape overall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

How hard are the supercharged Cobra motors to swap in from the 2004 or so Mustangs?

Not hard at all, the Marauder already has the NA Cobra motor in it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Yup. I just had to change out my #5 coil and plug and went that route, no issues so far and the car actually runs better than it did when I bought it. I don't expect it to last me forever, but hey, for the price I couldn't complain.

How long you had them in? I might just go this route because for $50 why not.

Been contemplating selling our CV though, so probably not anytime soon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Unless I'm missing something, that seems a bit high just to replace the manifold, unless a new manifold costs 450 bucks or something. Would be an easy enough job to do yourself if you have some basic tools.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cbx posted:

That one shows up as a product not found. If I can get money together, a decent shop manual and the necessary tools, I'd feel confident enough to try and do it myself. Well, that and some workspace. Anyways. I'm assuming this one is the one I'd be interested in, even for a 2000 P71?

http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_70&product_id=158

Yep that's it. Make sure you check the torque specs, you may need a torque wrench. Also might wanna check cv.net and do a search on the procedure so you don't run into any surprises, looks easy enough but you never know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I use that method for plastic interior bits too, works like a charm!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Transmission shudder. If it's bad walk away, but if it's minor a fluid change will probably fix it. Other than that I'd offer a grand lower because even with the low miles that price is pretty steep for a '00 GM. Unless it's perfect, in which case if it's worth it to you go for it, that car will run forever.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

So I'm seeing conflicted info (as always) as far as how to go about with a trans flush. Obviously Mercon V fluid, looking like anywhere from 14-18 quarts.

I'm seeing anywhere from dropping the pan, draining the torque converter, changing the filter, to taking it to a dealer for a flush, to disconnecting one of the lines going into/out of the radiator and flushing it through that way, all with a combination of stopping/starting the car and shifting through all the gears.

So now I'm clueless as to the best way to go about it, and I've never done any trans fluid changes or flushes so all this reading has me paranoid that every old drop needs to be out and I need to install an additional cooler as well.

Don't take it to a dealer, just find out what shops near you have PASSIVE flush machines (usually a BG machine). Passive machines don't use pressure, they just replace the old fluid with new fluid and do a good job of getting all the old poo poo out. And you don't need any "detergents" to clean it out either, it's just a fluid replacement, flush is really the wrong word to use. Doing it yourself it's hard to get all the old fluid out, even if you drain the converter it's not all coming out. The last two services I've had done I took mine to a shop. That being said, the next service I'll probably do myself since the mileage is getting near 150k and the filter should probably be changed. A shop would charge too much in labor to do that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A lot of people swear by Motorcraft fluids (especially for the trans) but as long as you use the correct OEM specs for fluids you'll be fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda sad to report I'm no longer a Panther owner, but a new roof for the house was more important so adios, it was good while it lasted :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I found that Panthers go through summer tires pretty quick, I switched to all seasons and the tread life was much better. General Altimax were the last set I had and they were great tires.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I fear my username may have been too Vietnamese-sounding for the good old boys over at crownvic.net, it's been a month and my account still languishes un-approved.

You're not missing much, trust me. If and when you do get approved just search and don't ever post or you'll open the portal to douche nozzle planet and we'll all be screwed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where does the term whacker come from anyway? That's some funny poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Nobody really talks about it much (as far as I've ever seen), but I've rarely been around a panther car that didn't have or eventually develop weird electrical issues. I had a 98 that ate fuel pumps and eatc modules for lunch, one of my best friends had a 99 that would turn on the windshield wipers when he hit the overdrive button. My dad owned a 96 that suddenly poured precious blue smoke from under the dash and then we never, ever found a smoked wire.

Anecdotal, but still.

I owned two panthers ('97 and '02) over a span of ten years and never had any electrical issues, but I also live in Florida so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also the eatc modules are (mostly) vacuum operated and eat o rings, that's usually what kills them, but $1 worth of new o rings makes them work like new.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah don't expect any better than that unless you're always on the highway then you might do a bit better.

My '97 got close to 30mpg HWY but that's because it was an aero.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never got above 20 in my '97 or '02 in city driving, and that's over ten years of driving a Panther.

You're wasting money if you start throwing parts at it to try and get better MPG.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, nice upgrade! Or downgrade, depending on who you talk to :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that if it has leather it should have air suspension in the rear. Nice find.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's the trunk release. Kind of a nice feature to be able to lock it so nobody can get in the trunk even if they break into the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Unless you pop it out of the bezel and hotwire it.

CannonFodder posted:

Or they get the owners manual out and it has the code for the door keypad, which can also open the trunk.

That's assuming the idiot crackheads that broke into it are smart enough to do that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Rearend should be the same as the same generation Crown Vic, so find you a cop car with limited slip. I've not researched it thoroughly, but a lot of years should fit, up to 2002. 2003 has the wider suspension requiring more positive offset, so the rearend is wider. May physically fit, but would require the later wheels in the back, or they stick out. May not fit due to other suspension changes.
Crownvic.net has been a useful resource for me.

I think it's funny seeing later model Vics with early model wheels, clearly sticking out a good inch beyond the fender, it looks ridiculous and I imagine it could be a bit stressful on the wheel bearings.

Also if you already have air ride and the bags are leaking just get new bags, it's easy as hell to replace them and having the self leveling feature is a nice feature to have when you load the trunk full of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had no idea how horrible the side crash test ratings are for Panthers. My wife looked it up on a whim because she loves Vics and has been serious about her next car having good to excellent ratings....Back to the drawing board :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah this kind of intrusion at 30 mph is unacceptable. I was shocked, especially when adding curtain air bags on later years did basically nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ctRRtQXo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

It kinda got lost in the media frenzy over how they're deathtraps when hit from behind ... by an 18-wheeler doing 70+mph, when the trunk is full of long pointy stuff.

The Pinto had a legitimate problem, the Crown Vic not so much. But the statistics made it look bad, when in truth Highway Patrolman Georg, who gets hit from behind by a semi 10,000 times a day, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

My wife and I got rear ended in our '97 Vic. Hit so hard the radio was on the floor. Car got totaled, and my wife had to have her spine fused in her neck. We were lucky because we only got hit at 40mph, any faster and it could have been a lot worse. If there was active head restraint my wife might have been fine.

That being said, I wasn't talking about rear or front collisions, look at the side impact at 30mph and tell me how you feel about that.

I love Panthers, but it's time for me to move on from them when there are so many safer options. It's too bad, but it is what it is if safety is a concern.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks good, how much you end up paying for it?

Now you're gonna need tint, vent shades, and a good sun shade if you wanna keep that thing cool this summer. You can get custom sun shades on Amazon for 30 bucks (you don't want a universal trust me) and vent shades aren't expensive either. Tint will be the most costly but as you know it's pretty much a necessity down here.

Other than that, have the transmission serviced if it hasn't been done recently as it's the only real weak point of these cars. The transmissions will poo poo if neglected.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can tell just by the condition of the interior. If it's nice it was a detective car, if it's worn it was a cruiser.

Does it have real back seats or plastic? That's a tell tale sign too.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 25, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does it have bucket seats or split bench? If it's split bench definitely not a cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would start by cleaning off all the sensors and then see what happens.