Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I too, would love to build one of those. A bit pricey kit, but it apparently is good quality and fits well. If they would make one for the Caprice/SS, you could have a modern El Camino. Trouble is the base for it is much rarer and/or more expensive than a Charger. I would accept a kit for a G8, then slap a Holden nose on it. Probably a lot cheaper than getting one from http://www.lefthandutes.com/

edit: Or a kit for Crown Vics/Gran Marquis. Now *there's* a common-to-find base, and they're ALL V8s! Maybe one for a Town Car for an extended bed...

Yeah, a Panther Ute would seem like it would be really easy, especially considering the body-on-frame nature means the structural aspects are significantly less critical than the various unibodies they support and the lack of change over the years means they could easily cover a huge swath of vehicles with slight variations on the same kit.

The chassis didn't change significantly from 1979 through 2002, and even the '03 redesign kept almost the same body mount points. "Mr Bean" on GrandMarq.net dropped an '85 2 door body on an '07 frame and only needed to do some minor adjustment to the header panel. The rest bolted right up.

They could probably cover the entire Panther production run with two cabin rear structures (box and aero/whale), two bed structures (swb and lwb), and a half dozen or so sets of body panels.

edit: Actually since the LWB models are only six inches longer I don't know if it'd make more sense to use that length to extend the bed or to extend the cabin in to somewhat of a "supercab" with room to recline the seats further and store things behind them.

edit2: Now I'm picturing a 2 door box body with the longer doors on a LWB frame with a ute conversion and it's basically what I'd imagine an '80s era Ranchero to have looked like.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, this one is a 1992-1997 "sorta aero" model.

'92-97 cars are referred to as "aero" bodies in contrast to the original "box" bodies. When the '98 facelifts came around those got the nickname "whale".

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I've seen that car on that forum, and it was the poo poo. I loved the look of the 2-door CV lowered with the Bullit wheels.
The only things he really needed to change as I recall were the mounting points for the bumpers and core support, and - a bit more involved - maybe the trunk floor over the rear axle to accommodate the newer fuel tank?
Yeah, he did a lot more because he wanted to use as many of the '07 parts as he could. The steering

I was speaking purely from a body mounting standpoint since that's what'd be important to a ute conversion.

quote:

Guess I'll just have to build my own. It's either that, or a "whale" wagon.
edit: I think I like the Extra-cab option.
I've never seen an aero or whale wagon done well. There's a '95-97 aero wagon someone built using a rear roof section from a Taurus wagon that was done very skillfully but the lines do not match up, especially at the rear. Would definitely like to see it done properly though.

Agreed on the extra-cab option. The more that I think about it the more I think that the best Panther utes would be a 2 door box or the '01-02 TCL with the extended b-pillar on a LWB chassis. We're not looking to maximize payload here, just to build a couch that you can throw dirty poo poo in the back of.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't know how much the body being a unibody matters, but it seems to me that if the dimensions are as close as you say it shouldn't be significantly different from the people who have been dropping F-100 bodies on Panther frames. I'd recommend looking in to build logs of those conversions. If you think you could handle one of those jobs plus a bit more fabrication and fiddlefuckery you can probably make it work.

I mean rednecks manage to slap all sorts of car bodies on old truck frames all the time and you rarely see them fail catastrophically.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lincoln Freak posted:

I do have a quick question for anyone overly familiar with the DOHC mod motor in the Marauder:

I'm assuming that the 32 valve DOHC motor in the Marauder is the same as the Lincoln Mark VIII and the Mustang Mach I. I'm also assuming that the motor in the 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra is also the same, but with a supercharger bolted on.

So, in theory, a Marauder or Mark VIII could be just a junkyard supercharger and computer reflash away from close to 400 horses, right? Or am I missing something?
The DOHC 4.6 had a bunch of different variations over the years, they're not all equal. The '90s models use a block cast by Teksid in Italy, Ford then changed to an in-house block produced in Windsor in '01. The supercharged Cobra used an entirely different iron block. Somewhere in there the heads also changed for improved intake flow. There's probably still something to your idea, but it might not be as straightforward as bolting on a blower and flashing the PCM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
FWIW that post is the extent of my DOHC knowledge so by no means should you take it as a "no this is a bad idea" just be aware that there are substantially different variants of this motor and the Terminator Cobras' version is the most different. In the end it's still a Ford V8 that shipped for many years so there are definitely ways to turn it up.

A bit of googling found a Motor Trend article about the DOHC 4.6 quoting an engine builder as saying that the Teksid blocks are good for 1500 horsepower. Obviously that doesn't say anything about the heads, pistons, rods, crank, etc. but it's something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lincoln Freak posted:

While I would LOVE to get my hands on a clean 97 or 98 Mark, or a Marauder, I'm actually considering finding a clean 03-05 Towncar hearse and supercharging that to scare the general populance. :dance:
I like the way you think :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Waffle House posted:

Are there many documented Panther 4.6 ===> 5.4 swaps from an early 2000s Lincoln Navigator/Aviator? Seems like a good engine to stick in there.
It really isn't a great choice. A few have been done but there's a reason they're not common.

The 2V 5.4s are taller and wider for the longer stroke so you have all sorts of fitment issues, but they have the same heads as the 4.6 so they run out of airflow earlier in the rev range. They give you a bit more torque down low but nothing more at the top end.

The 4V engines have plenty of airflow but now those heads are substantially larger and still sitting on the taller/wider block so you have even more fitment issues.

AFAIK the 3V engines require a newer computer so you still have the same fitment issues as the 2V 5.4 but also now need to deal with that, at which point IMO you may as well just go Coyote.

The easiest option for more power is a blower, and if you really want to swap the engine a 4V 4.6 is obviously just a matter of getting the right Marauder parts.