Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm kinda tempted to cover my hood and roof in tape, then rip the tape off. Easier than sanding the paint off! Might not be able to do that to the trunk for a bit, it hasn't been peeling as long.

I was going to cover it in bedliner, or just do a roller paint job. Gotta remove the poo poo that's there first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine came with a U-Haul receiver and bag of bolts, but I couldn't find any holes that anything lined up with.

I may still have the drat thing...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine was in the trunk of the car when I bought it. :shrug:

I did find it in the garage last night though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is yours a former fleet (police or otherwise) or civilian vehicle?

The fleet cars almost always had PATS disabled. If it did have PATS, the transponder key would need to either be in the ignition or held up to the steering column while trying to start, otherwise it would crank/no start. It sounds like your car is ex-fleet, especially since the security light isn't coming on.

A tuner can disable it, but Marty doesn't normally do that unless you're going to him in person (AFAIK). If your car was always civilian, it's possible a previous owner installed a remote start, and taped part of a transponder key near the ignition switch (it'd be under the plastic trim).

It's also possible someone swapped your PCM for a fleet PCM at some point. IIRC you have a Marty tune, right? I think (not sure) he'd be able to tell you by the part number on the PCM.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 13, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, the remote start installers probably taped a cloned key head to the steering column under the plastic. If they did, even a basic metal key will start the car.

Some will use a programmable transponder specific to the car, but it's cheaper for them to just clone your existing key. You should assume your new keys didn't get programmed, but PATS is probably picking up whatever is closest. It's also possible your "new" keys are cloned copies if you went through anyone except the dealer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 13, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It only checks the VATS during startup - once it's running, it's not going to shut down on you. At least not for that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

I can see the paint coming off in the wind...but the corner light??

The cheap aftermarket ones come apart really easily. When I got rid of mine, one was starting to come apart as well.

The aftermarket headlight housings (even the OEM clones) also don't light up the road for poo poo. Most of the really cheap ones are made by Eagle Eyes, DEPO is the only decent aftermarket one for Panthers. My last car had Eagle Eyes housings as well, and even with the projectors, didn't do poo poo to light up the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, a friend did this to his '10 Town Car:

So anything's possible. I THINK he's still running the stock long block, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.