Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kai Tave posted:

Hamburgers

I cook mine on medium-high heat, then throw some water in under a lid, and cook it to 60% done on one side. Flip, repeat cover, cook less.

You need a fattier chuck to do this, and if you have lean ground, consider adding olive oil and cooking on high with no lid.

Either one works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm a grill man myself for hamburgers. Egg, breadcrumbs, beef/chicken/pork/turkey(depending on what I feel like), herbs to complement the meat choice. Mix em up the day before, stick them in the fridge overnight, pop them in a preheated grill and flip them every 5 minutes until they're done. You know they're done by breaking open a Sacrificial Burger, looking at the inside, saying "looks fine to me", and then eating the Sacrificial Burger in bits as you bun up the rest.

If you don't have a grill an oven will do but it won't taste quite the same.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, a grill isn't in the cards for me right now but maybe in the summer I can experiment with a neighbor's.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ratoslov posted:

So what's the state-of-the-art with bad D&D Next design decisions?

And also, I've got this bottle of black rum. I like it- it's like rum-flavored rum- but it's a little strong. What's a good cocktail that uses black rum?

The two best things to do with rum are a Cuba Libre with real has-sugar Coke (from Mexico or kosher) or a Dark & Stormy (1:3 rum:ginger beer over ice, lime slice, do not use ginger ale or you are a horrible person).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Darwinism posted:

Have they said why they're going back to martial competency = roll more dice?

I think it is because rolling more dice is fun. Like, that is the actual reason. Having a lot of dice to throw around is a visceral appeal, and having a little pile of dice you can spend is fun as a whole mess of indie games have shown. I am pretty sure at the heart of things that really is the deal.

palecur posted:

The two best things to do with rum are a Cuba Libre with real has-sugar Coke (from Mexico or kosher) or a Dark & Stormy (1:3 rum:ginger beer over ice, lime slice, do not use ginger ale or you are a horrible person).

I make my own ginger ale. It will make you weep with joy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Ginger ale is wonderful, and so is single-malt Scotch, but neither has any place in a Dark 'n Stormy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

How do you guys cook hamburgers on a stove? Do you prep the meat in any special way? Temperature settings, cook times, I'm all ears. Hit me with your best stovetop hamburger techniques please.

If you're pressing down on your patties, don't. You're squeezing fat out and causing them to dry out and burn on the edges more rapidly. If you aren't, consider added some marinade or getting higher fat content patties.

I like making Mojitos with the mint from my back yard and then finishing it with my home grown bananas. Later I look at the mango trees in backyard and curse the gods for not having them be old enough to bear fruit yet.

DnD Next's theater of the mind is a poor decision to try and use as a base for a modular system. It requires too much rules overlay and interlocking if you want to make the game's combat more meaty and meaningful in your tactical choices to the point where you might as well go play something that isn't actively working against you.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I've enjoyed the poo poo out of the Next Playtest so far with my group, but that might be less the rules fault and more just having fun at the table regardless of what I'm playing. I do enjoy it a hell of a lot more than 4e mind you, the powers and crunch just really killed DMing for me for whatever reason. I don't know how Next is going to shake out but the idea that each class gets their own unique powers and plays more interestingly than 3.5 without feeling as samey as 4e.

But I definitely think DnD is losing its luster compared to other games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Winson_Paine posted:

You lie! How is this possible?

On the other topic, I always preferred rolling a single die for resolution, and never cared much for modifiers. But for damage? I want to roll ALL THE DICE

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

And also, I've got this bottle of black rum. I like it- it's like rum-flavored rum- but it's a little strong. What's a good cocktail that uses black rum?

My favorite Rum cocktail is called a "Tropical Storm". Pour three finger of your selected rum into a rocks glass. Add a paper umbrella. Enjoy.

Winson_Paine posted:

I think it is because rolling more dice is fun. Like, that is the actual reason. Having a lot of dice to throw around is a visceral appeal, and having a little pile of dice you can spend is fun as a whole mess of indie games have shown. I am pretty sure at the heart of things that really is the deal.
They have, in fact, said as much in a G+ hangout. Basically they think that rolling dice is fun so the more mechanics they turn into dice the more fun their game is. The problem is that they don't seem to have a goal for what those dice do other than roll.

I keep at least one bottle of this in my trunk at all times for when I have to go to somewhere where I must interact with people. If they're not the type of people I can share a bottle of trunk bourbon with I find that telling them that I have to take a break from listening to them them talk to go drink some of the bourbon that I keep in my trunk is a good way to un-break that ice.

Also, while bourbon is good drink for boys, men drink Rye when they are out of the house.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

It's true, throwing lots of dice around is a lot of fun. It should be noted that using some of a Fighter's special abilities result in rolling less dice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

DnD Next's theater of the mind is a poor decision to try and use as a base for a modular system. It requires too much rules overlay and interlocking if you want to make the game's combat more meaty and meaningful in your tactical choices to the point where you might as well go play something that isn't actively working against you.

To be fair we haven't seen much of their vaunted "tactical rules module" yet, facing rules and all, assuming that's even still a thing. But I largely agree that for a year into development even the core, basic structure of the game seems incredibly lackluster. I never thought that I would actually say this, but given what we've seen so far I honestly wonder what things would look like now if Monte Cook hadn't left. Like, I'm doubtful that I would think it was a vast improvement or anything, but I don't know.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

So instead I'll ask about hamburgers. I don't have a grill or anything, just some skillets (one cast iron, one not) and an electric stove, but I love me some hamburgers. The problem I have is that my efforts at cooking hamburgers always wind up being kind of lousy. Either they end up overcooking and turning dry and tough or they end up cooking too quickly on the outsides and getting burnt and blackened.

How do you guys cook hamburgers on a stove? Do you prep the meat in any special way? Temperature settings, cook times, I'm all ears. Hit me with your best stovetop hamburger techniques please.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html

Please ignore anyone telling you to add egg and poo poo to a burger. That is a meatloaf sandwich.

MadRhetoric posted:

Unless you're a wizard: "Do more damage" is never the right tactical choice when your X is "end the encounter".

If Fighters got the same "Save or gently caress You" maneuvers as Wizards got spells, I would be entirely content.

Well, no, I wouldn't, but it'd be better than all the 3x variants and probably better than whatever we're getting in Next.

quote:

Both sides of this axiom are still true in 4e to certain extents: if you are a Striker, "Do more damage" is always the right decision. Unless you're a Warlock, then "Do X" is better than your damage until Paragon. Or you have something like the Rogue's Knockout.

I shouldn't have said "Do more damage", I should have said "Do damage", because 90% of the time with maneuvers that was the choice you had to make, and I'm suspicious of Next doing any different.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gr3y posted:

I keep at least one bottle of this in my trunk at all times for when I have to go to somewhere where I must interact with people. If they're not the type of people I can share a bottle of trunk bourbon with I find that telling them that I have to take a break from listening to them them talk to go drink some of the bourbon that I keep in my trunk is a good way to un-break that ice.

Old Grandad tastes like it was brewed inside a 1982 Chrysler Lebaron so not serving it out of your trunk is an insult its flavorful legacy. I like to keep a bottle of Rose in my trunk personally because I haven't been able to get rid of the stuff and I want it out of my house.

If anybody else here is a big Gin person, I can't recommend Nolets enough if you want a smooth fruit flavor. Or if your a big traditionalist, turpentine is available at Home Depot at rock bottom prices right now.

I wish Next introduced better fight resolution mechanics. DnD is a squad-based murder simulator first and an anything else second so why is it that alternate objectives, combat scenarios, and encounter designs are so hard to come by? Also have we seen anything that keeps aggro in this game? Lack of stickyness in previous DnD's meant that gentlemans agreements were the only reason the wizard survived anything.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair we haven't seen much of their vaunted "tactical rules module" yet, facing rules and all, assuming that's even still a thing. But I largely agree that for a year into development even the core, basic structure of the game seems incredibly lackluster. I never thought that I would actually say this, but given what we've seen so far I honestly wonder what things would look like now if Monte Cook hadn't left. Like, I'm doubtful that I would think it was a vast improvement or anything, but I don't know.

Well, I mean, my trust with the Next team has run pretty low. I'm not sure these modules exist or will ever exist.

Remember when Mearls said 4e fans would be getting some neat toys? When he told us to wait and see, 4e flavor was coming? When he told us every class every printed would show up in the core?

Then remember when surges/hit dice got axes, and we lost martial anything, and we now have the Warlord effectively cut, and cleric is back to heal bot?

The extent to which the Next team is willing to keep whittling this thing they've made, down and down, until it's just some bizarre 2e/3e mashup with almost no lessons attached to it is staggering. The latest round of 'eyeball design' strikes me as particularly egregious.

If I've just started drinking whiskey, what's a good way to go without breaking my wallet or my throat?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm a huge fan of Jameson, and a pint will run you about $12-14 in Michigan. It's smooth and according to my gf, mixes well with ginger ale. (Don't mix it with anything).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mendrian posted:

If I've just started drinking whiskey, what's a good way to go without breaking my wallet or my throat?

I enjoy Knob Creek but I'm not really an expert on booze, I just drink what tastes good.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

moths posted:

I used to mix a half can of beer, some seasoning, and diced onions in with the meat before forming patties. That will keep them from setting out.

Start off at a medium-high setting, flipping frequently, until brown, then turn it down to a lower heat and cook until the middle is how you'd like it. You won't need to flip as frequently at three lower temp, and you can cover it now if you'd like.

You know, I have tried a lot of these sorts of things and the result always tastes more like a meatloaf sandwich than a hamburger. I am a fan of a well packed patty with salt and pepper on the outside.

fatherdog posted:

If Fighters got the same "Save or gently caress You" maneuvers as Wizards got spells, I would be entirely content.

One of the things I liked about the Mongoose Conan d20 game is they actually gave fighters save or die and save or suck maneuvers, so they could kabong a guy in the head and daze him or just cut his goddamned head off if they were a cool enough dude.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Lord Frisk posted:

You lie! How is this possible?

A very simple recipe is take a cup of water and a cup of sugar and boil them until the sugar is dissolved. While that is getting up to temp shred up a SHITLOAD of ginger from a fresh ginger root, once the sugar is dissolved and you have a clear simple syrup throw your ginger in and let that poo poo steep for an hour or so, basically until the poo poo is cold. Strain the resultant liquid into a clean two liter (you can save the shavings because they are basically ginger candy) and then fill the two liter up the rest of the way with water. Add like, 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast to this, screw the cap on, and then put this under a sink or somewhere dark and cool for about 36-48 hours. After that it should go in the fridge, to stop it from exploding. Fuckin' delicious. Once you get the hang of that, you can start messing with the basic recipe, I have added lemon zest with good results ferinstance.

Splicer posted:

It's true, throwing lots of dice around is a lot of fun. It should be noted that using some of a Fighter's special abilities result in rolling less dice.

Well, gently caress those special abilities. I think one of the reasons I like the new Cortex+ Marvel game is generating whacky dice pools for every roll.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

One of the things I liked about the Mongoose Conan d20 game is they actually gave fighters save or die and save or suck maneuvers, so they could kabong a guy in the head and daze him or just cut his goddamned head off if they were a cool enough dude.

BECMI had that sort of thing too, as I recall. It was part of the Weapon Mastery rules whereby Fighters could learn all sorts of crazy poo poo with weapons, so you could do things like specialize in using torches as weapons or throw bolas at people and force them to save versus strangulation or die in a few rounds, stuff like that. "Fighter as basic attacking meat robot only" is one of those weird things that people seem to have retro-engineered into an immutable part of D&D's legacy even when it demonstrably hasn't always been the case.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, gently caress those special abilities. I think one of the reasons I like the new Cortex+ Marvel game is generating whacky dice pools for every roll.
Play WFRP3 and/or Danger Patrol. In both of these the player and GM response to pretty much everything is "roll some more dice".

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking personally, I've found step one to be "have low standards"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Splicer posted:

Play WFRP3 and/or Danger Patrol. In both of these the player and GM response to pretty much everything is "roll some more dice".

What is Danger Patrol? I know it is a tangent and a derail, but I checked with the mod and he said it was OK.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

What is Danger Patrol? I know it is a tangent and a derail, but I checked with the mod and he said it was OK.

It's like a retro-pulp sci-fi game by the guy who did Lady Blackbird and GhostEcho/Ghost Lines. Still in beta, I don't know whether he's continuing to work on it or not.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
If someone were to run Danger Patrol, I would kill all the other applicants and climb over the pile of bodies to play in that game.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Kai Tave posted:

The perfect smash technique has worked extremely well for me in past, though I don't have a hood fan on my stove so it gets crazy smoky and meat-smell permeates the apartment for days afterwards. Get some fresh, super-soft buns and go hog wild.

Gau: there was a Danger Patrol game but it only ran for like two pages before it was abandoned :( I miss my GHOST DETECTIVE.

I think probably the best thing to come out of Next is the art. There have been some really cool concept pieces created for characters:

and monsters:

from Conceptopolis that, while they may not make it to the actual print material, still make me go 'heck yeah, D&D'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Chivas. Its a blended scotch whiskey with smooth flavor. Note, you will be called a huge loser because its a blend and not single malt but I don't think you're quite ready to pull of the level of smug required for being a Whiskey Connoisseur at this point.

Have they made a clarification of what prestige classes are? Because if leveling is anything like 3e where I should basically never stick to my class unless I'm a wizard I'm going to be more mad than when I see Whiskey Connoisseurs talk down to Wine Connoisseurs in some sort of smugularity.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Have they made a clarification of what prestige classes are? Because if leveling is anything like 3e where I should basically never stick to my class unless I'm a wizard I'm going to be more mad than when I see Whiskey Connoisseurs talk down to Wine Connoisseurs in some sort of smugularity.

As far as I know, and this is based solely off what's been said in articles and such since I don't think any PrC stuff for Next has been released for public playtest yet, Prestige Classes in Next are essentially the exact same thing they were in 3.X except with the designers re-emphasizing the whole "Prestige Classes are meant to be tied into the setting somehow and not just be buckets of Lego you dip into to build your frankencharacters, no really, this time we mean it" thing that was ostensibly a part of 3.X's Prestige Classes right up to the point that the first supplemental book containing new PrCs came out.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Kai Tave posted:

It's like a retro-pulp sci-fi game by the guy who did Lady Blackbird and GhostEcho/Ghost Lines. Still in beta, I don't know whether he's continuing to work on it or not.

It's moments like these when I realize how I don't have nearly enough time to fit in all the game systems I want to run. This looks incredible.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Winson_Paine posted:

A very simple recipe is take a cup of water and a cup of sugar and boil them until the sugar is dissolved. While that is getting up to temp shred up a SHITLOAD of ginger from a fresh ginger root, once the sugar is dissolved and you have a clear simple syrup throw your ginger in and let that poo poo steep for an hour or so, basically until the poo poo is cold. Strain the resultant liquid into a clean two liter (you can save the shavings because they are basically ginger candy) and then fill the two liter up the rest of the way with water. Add like, 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast to this, screw the cap on, and then put this under a sink or somewhere dark and cool for about 36-48 hours. After that it should go in the fridge, to stop it from exploding. Fuckin' delicious. Once you get the hang of that, you can start messing with the basic recipe, I have added lemon zest with good results ferinstance.

Well I know what I'm going to try tomorrow.

On a meat-note, recently I tried some turkey meatballs that contained breadcrumbs and pesto in it, and I think I'm going to try this out with hamburgers. Perhaps dice some onions in it for texture and taste, and lightly salt the outside prior to grilling.

Kai Tave posted:

BECMI had that sort of thing too, as I recall. It was part of the Weapon Mastery rules whereby Fighters could learn all sorts of crazy poo poo with weapons, so you could do things like specialize in using torches as weapons or throw bolas at people and force them to save versus strangulation or die in a few rounds, stuff like that. "Fighter as basic attacking meat robot only" is one of those weird things that people seem to have retro-engineered into an immutable part of D&D's legacy even when it demonstrably hasn't always been the case.

Honestly if Next was going that far in appeasing the old-schools and started aping BECMI stuff, I'd be on board 100%. Basic is boss as hell.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Slimnoid posted:

Well I know what I'm going to try tomorrow.

Bear in mind since it is a naturally fermented product, it is gonna have yeasty poo poo in the bottom. Just leave it sit so that poo poo settles and pour it slowly so it stays where it is. It won't hurt you or anything, but some folks don't like the taste.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Honestly if Next was going that far in appeasing the old-schools and started aping BECMI stuff, I'd be on board 100%. Basic is boss as hell.

Of course, the problem they'd run into there is that if you've got a hankering to play BECMI then all you really need to do is go and grab the Dark Dungeons BECMI retroclone which is completely free and pretty much comprehensive for all your B, E, C, M, and I-ing needs.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Of course, the problem they'd run into there is that if you've got a hankering to play BECMI then all you really need to do is go and grab the Dark Dungeons BECMI retroclone which is completely free and pretty much comprehensive for all your B, E, C, M, and I-ing needs.

As a fan of that, I rec Darker Dungeons to the modern reader. It is the same thing with some house rules that make sense and while the math is not changed the numbers are shuffled so it follows the d20 metric of just add things.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
As a bourbon drinker, I find the Four Roses Small Batch to intersect price and quality quite neatly. Speaking of neatly, I recommend taking any new whiskey and drinking it neat with a glass of water nearby. Gradually splash a bit of water in every few sips and see how the flavor changes. Like a nice tea.

Some people do that with rocks, but I find that puts you at the mercy of the ice and not your own control.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

More's the sin, the ice is cold enough to diminish your sense of taste.

Edit: autocorrect :argh:

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 2, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
New Legends & Lore is up a bit early looks like:

Mike Mearls posted:

It might be strange for the guy in charge of D&D R&D to say this, but here it goes: After the core rules for the game are done, we really want to stop adding so much stuff to the mechanics of the game and shift our emphasis to story.

D&D is a shared language. The rules serve to make it easier to talk about the game and make stuff happen. They take abstract concepts and give them clear meaning. When we say "5th-level wizard," we know what you can do and how you do it. We know that because we play D&D. Someone who never played the game would be utterly lost.

A language works best when everyone who uses it can communicate efficiently. If I described my character as a "prime tier ensign," that doesn't mean anything to you. Could you guess what my character wears, what sort of weapon he might wield, and what special abilities he uses? Any answer you give is a pure guess.

For that reason, in building classes, character options, and everything else in the game, we need to stick to things that make sense and resonate with you. That's why we've adopted things like specialties and backgrounds as tools to organize game rules. Rapid Shot and Precise Shot are abstract things that aren't really clear. You can only understand them by knowing what they are. They don't stand on their own in a meaningful way. Describing your fighter as an archer, though, makes sense to anyone. Your character uses a bow. That's self-evident from the word archer. There are still details to study, but the general idea evokes a key fantasy archetype.

The trick is that the list of things that resonate is shorter than an unbound list. It's a challenge, but it's one worth tackling. Realistically, I'm willing to bet that most people didn't start playing D&D because they wanted to take Rapid Shot. You probably wanted to play an archer, or a sneaky thief, and so on. The most resonant elements arise from outside the game, in the myths and stories that we're all exposed to.

The other side to this coin is that with a much-reduced emphasis on turning out new rules mechanics, the material we make receives more playtesting, development, and care. If you want to make an archer option, it has to be a good option. You don't get a second chance at it.

So, that's the general philosophy on expanding the rules of the game.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

^^^ drat you and your modly quickness!

Barudak posted:

DnD Next is a lot like making an Old Kentucky Shark whiskey, You mix Old Grandad, Landshark Beer, and Gummy candies to create an unpalatable mess that nobody likes even if they like the individual ingredients.

I actually prefer Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's just that right mix of pretty good and inexpensive.

Winson_Paine posted:

You know, I have tried a lot of these sorts of things and the result always tastes more like a meatloaf sandwich than a hamburger. I am a fan of a well packed patty with salt and pepper on the outside.

Hamburgers are more of a condiment delivery system anyway. I like to take half an onion, cut it lengthwise into fat rings, toss the whole thing into tin foil along with some olive oil, rosemary, and garlic, wrap it up tight, and let it slow roast directly on the charcoal while you cook your burgers until it semi-caramelizes.

In the spirit of the actual thread, the new Legends and lore is out. Mike Mearls believes that things should be named after things that already existed.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 2, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Gr3y posted:

My favorite Rum cocktail is called a "Tropical Storm". Pour three finger of your selected rum into a rocks glass. Add a paper umbrella. Enjoy.

This is a good cocktail. Goes down smooth.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Man, I don't want to be too uncharitable, but did Mearls just say that he wants archers to roleplay~~ being archers rather than having archery-based abilities?

Edit: I should think more before posting. He just wants to have an archer package or something, rather than splitting bonuses up, and keeping them clustered under one name is better than Precise/Point-Blank/Rapid/Rapider/Powerfulfastcloserange Shot feats.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Kai Tave posted:

New Legends & Lore is up a bit early looks like:
It's not a terrible idea; I'd question if any game company actually has the restraint to implement a plan like that when they could publish more books and sell them to people filled with feats and powers and classes. But I don't have a problem with the thought process behind wanting to pare down the dozens and dozens of similar "get better at thing" options.

Mind you, I'd be happier still if instead of using Precise Shot and Rapid Shot, two things that actually have a slightly obvious differentiation he would have gone with something like Ray of Enfeeblement, Energy Drain and Fatigue.

EDIT: Or Fireball, Searing Orb and Flaming Sphere to be even more "Those are all the same thing..." :stare:

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 2, 2013

• Locked thread