Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Kai Tave posted:

It's like a retro-pulp sci-fi game by the guy who did Lady Blackbird and GhostEcho/Ghost Lines. Still in beta, I don't know whether he's continuing to work on it or not.

It's moments like these when I realize how I don't have nearly enough time to fit in all the game systems I want to run. This looks incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Mendrian posted:

I told them that they need to seriously liven up the way the game plays because right now it's just kind of dull.

I feel like, not only play, but the actual experience of reading the rules needs to be livened up. Reading about 3e after coming from 2e was mind-blowingly cool. 4e, whether or not it delivered it, promised a whole insane new paradigm for the game that made me hunger to learn more about the system. 5e has... slightly different mechanics for old things, and a couple of small tidbits that might make you go "huh".

The greatest failing of Next to me isn't the wonky math or character imbalance. It's the fact that every class, ability, or creature I read the rules on instills in me a sense of anticlimactic disappointment. I couldn't get through even the parts of the latest playtest packet I was interested in because it was so dull.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

quote:

I think it says something that the only role played by the Fighter in this ad is suggesting spells for the Magic User to cast.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

AlphaDog posted:

If the metal interfered with the magic as a "this is the way the world works" thing, then you should be able to wreck a caster by running your armored arse up to him and giving him a hug*, at which point his magic fails and you can administer the wedgie that the scrawny nerd desperately deserves.

*Edit: Or throwing a metallic net over him. Even if it weighed as much as a chain shirt or suit of plate mail, an 18-str fighter should be able to hurl it a significant distance.

This actually sounds like a fun piece of worldbuilding. Plus, it would give Fighters a way to deal with wizards!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Cleric paralyzed on the first turn, probably for the rest of the battle. This is consistent with my experience with Next.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
So setting aside the prospect of a low-level monster making three attacks per round, any one of which can paralyze for ten rounds on a hit - why are elves immune? Is there any actual reason?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I feel like the Fighteriest way to make that feel like a proper capstone would be to make it so that you just need to attack someone at 20 or less HP to instakill them. No attack roll, you just do it. You are the Fighter.

It sounds like I should really check this packet out, it sounds nuts.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I just read through the classes in the new packet and I'm blown away by how much this has changed. The Barbarian is flavorful and awesome, the Fighter has two paths I'm actually really interested in trying out, the Mage has a system for making potions/scrolls that I actually want to play around with, the Monk looks like it could actually be fun to play...

Anyone planning a playtest for this doc? I'll totally contribute a Barbarian.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I can't get at the new Q&A article from work. What are the new points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I wouldn't much mind a company attempting to make a virtual tabletop that wasn't heinously overcomplicated or just plain lovely, though I have yet to fully investigate roll20.

roll20 isn't without its flaws, but it does all of this and is astoundingly easy to use.

• Locked thread