Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My googling came up with something about a phrase that's supposed to repel evil, possibly foreshadowing the downfall of Ragnar's sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Sigurd's character deserved more than this, I'm pretty disappointed. This series has some really strange story direction sometimes. Lookin' at you, Thorunn.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Henry VIII gonna own so many fools next season.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Googling for info on that dude and that sword lead me to this Q&A about season 5. I guess he was some battle bishop.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone else feel bad for those two poor guards left to defend Ecbert and the bishop from the GHA?

And c'mon, Viking dude. You're gonna use a bow and arrow to shoot one old dude in a crowd full of your armed comrades?

Floki. :(

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 2, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bjorn is wearing an entire species.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One down in the great IVAR KILLS EVERYONE fantasy i have, i never liked him anyway.
Nobody knows whats up with the last scene and who that is then judging by last few posts? He looked p rad at least, and i swear i've seen that actor before recently.

Also i was very surprised to see one of the norwegian brothers go with Bjørn. I guess he might be disappointed in his brother. Or maybe its just another part of the great plot to overthrow the Lodbroks. In any case it might fall apart when they return to Kattegat and hear what Lagertha has to say.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

wukkar, dec 7th posted:

They've cast one too many sons.
On the money.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I liked the Sigurd character, they should have killed off the one who went with Bjorn. He's done nothing significant.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Historical Sigurd is more interesting I think. And may have made for better TV drama since He married one of King Aella's daughters and his descendants include Harold Bluetooth and Cnut the Great who ruled Denmark and England.

Hvitserk is lesser known buy probably the same person as Halfdan Ragnarsson who led the Army after Ivar became King of Dublin. He may have also tried to conquer Scotland but was killed in battle there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zero One posted:

Hvitserk is lesser known buy probably the same person as Halfdan Ragnarsson who led the Army after Ivar became King of Dublin. He may have also tried to conquer Scotland but was killed in battle there.

I was reading up on Ragnars' sons on Wikipedia the other day and it said Halfdan/Hvitserk was captured and (like Ecbert in this last ep) was allowed to choose the method of his death. Apparently he chose to be burned alive :stare:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

sigurd was a snooze anyways gently caress him

i wonder why Hirst killed off both of his daughters

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

Apparently he chose to be burned alive :stare:

The Vikings really are wonderful in just how metal the stories about them are. Didn't someone mention a Viking nicknamed 'baby-lover' because he didn't enjoy impaling babies on spears? That's a hardcore society.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gonna miss my homie Ecbert though

Best character of all seasons next to Ragnar

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Zero One posted:

Historical Sigurd is more interesting I think. And may have made for better TV drama since He married one of King Aella's daughters and his descendants include Harold Bluetooth and Cnut the Great who ruled Denmark and England.

That's kind of why it surprised me that they smoked him already

He did a lot of poo poo historically so I figured he was gonna last for a while

And whoever said that about Thorunn nailed it. That was a really weird derail that felt like it was supposed to get wrapped up but the actress got a better job somewhere else so they just ended it.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Historical Sigurd is cool but Show Sigurd had the shittest actor of all the sons and was a boring character. This show has always made some pretty bad storytelling choices but this season has had some of the most baffling choices by far. I'll still end up watching next season but my expectations are as low as humanly possible.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Historical Sigurd is cool but Show Sigurd had the shittest actor of all the sons and was a boring character. This show has always made some pretty bad storytelling choices but this season has had some of the most baffling choices by far. I'll still end up watching next season but my expectations are as low as humanly possible.

You clearly haven't watched Dexter because in spite of Vikings' flaws, it's still a long, looooooong way from the lowest of my expectations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, gotta admit I never liked the Sigurd actor, especially when the others are so good. Hvitserk is a bit weak too, but I find his grin alike enough to Ragnar that I forgive it. The rest though are stellar.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I would not fight Hvitserk. What he lacks in charisma and presence he makes up for with being a loving monster in combat.

The sons of Ragnarr were very angry young men.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dongattack posted:

One down in the great IVAR KILLS EVERYONE fantasy i have, i never liked him anyway.
Nobody knows whats up with the last scene and who that is then judging by last few posts? He looked p rad at least, and i swear i've seen that actor before recently.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is awesome and you should be stoked he is coming on board! He played Henry VIII in The Tudors which is awesome if you haven't seen it. I read a brief thing about him coming on board that said (spoiler I guess?)

he is a battle bishop based on accounts they found of real battle bishops who were excellent fighters as well as extremely charismatic, the writers felt the Saxons needed a big hero to oppose the Vikings going forward and he will be it

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So the point of Ecbert renouncing his thrones and giving it all to Athelwulf is that his promise of East Anglia to the Vikings was bullshit? Man they're not gonna be happy that fancy parchment they got is toilet paper basically.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's not like the English would just give up the land to the vikings even if he was still king.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So the point of Ecbert renouncing his thrones and giving it all to Athelwulf is that his promise of East Anglia to the Vikings was bullshit? Man they're not gonna be happy that fancy parchment they got is toilet paper basically.

While it did ensure that he was effectively selling them the Brooklyn Bridge, the purpose was to be his own version of Ragnar's last play. He knows that he has to die, but he's using his death as his last move in his bid to realize his dreams for England.

Renouncing his power for Aethewolf gives clear and obvious succession that no one can question, even if any questioning would have been weak to all but non-existent. Then he gets to give a bullshit offer that in conjunction with his death causes the Viking horde to fracture in goal and manpower. Ragnar is avenged, his dream of good farming land for Vikings is realized, and all he had to do was fake give up some land that was, relatively, unimportant to himself and his dream.

So now England is facing an invader that is weakened because their best general(Bjorn) is leaving and taking men with him, another portion of the invaders are going to just sick around East Anglia and farm, others will just go home because they've got enough loot and sweet stories to tell. So all that's left is whatever portion of the original unbeatable horde decide to follow Ivar. Still a big problem, but a much lesser one than it was just before Eckbert's final hot tub session.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Great post, thanks. I was not really appreciating all he did before you laid it out like that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Sadly the last Kingdom cannot hold a candle to Vikings. Just to warn any goons who want to fill that Viking shaped hole in their hearts. (The books are alright though)

I couldn't disagree more, not only is the Last Kingdom a good show in it's own right, it's first season is vastly superior to Viking's latest mess of a season, or half-season, or whatever it's being referred to

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Also i was very surprised to see one of the norwegian brothers go with Bjørn. I guess he might be disappointed in his brother. Or maybe its just another part of the great plot to overthrow the Lodbroks. In any case it might fall apart when they return to Kattegat and hear what Lagertha has to say.

The historical Harald Fairhair did unify Norway, which is bad news for Lagertha.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Killing Bjorn is part of the plan. That's a shitstorm you can't hide from.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

The historical Harald Fairhair did unify Norway, which is bad news for Lagertha.

Has it been established that the shows version of Kattegat is in Norway tho? I mean geographically it wasn't a town at all, but a area of sea between a tiny bit of viking Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Just lmao if they want me to believe those mountains are in Denmark tho, then this show truly is fantasy :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It was a clever last troll act

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Has it been established that the shows version of Kattegat is in Norway tho?

When Harald says he wants to unify Norway to Aslaug she says that then he would have to defeat Ragnar, plus when Ragnar first visits Aella's court way back in season one a carpet with colors of the norwegian flag is prominently featured.
Of course Hedeby, which was a town in Denmark, is a horseride away from Kattegat so geographically speaking the show makes no sense.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 4, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alhazred posted:

Doesn't Bjorn become king of Sweden as well?

Season 6 of Vikings is just the extra cold war between Norway and Sweden.

Edit: Man, Harald's brother better hope Bjorn doesn't stop back home on the way to the Med. They not only attacked his mom but also shot his baby momma.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 4, 2017

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

etalian posted:

It was a clever last troll act

was thinking the parchment probably says something like "vikings suck dog balls. kill anyone saying this is a legal title to east anglia. ECBERT RULES BJORN DROOLS."

Shout out to whoever called the return to the med. though. That should be pretty interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Erghh posted:

Shout out to whoever called the return to the med. though. That should be pretty interesting.

TGe most interesting thing actually already happened. In the sagas they mistook the town of Luni for Rome. Unable to break the walls Bjørn's buddy, Hastein, pretended that he was dying and said he wanted a christian burial. He was then carried into the city by an honor guard and proceeded to leap of the stretcher and opened the city doors. Then, because viking were complete assholes, he sailed to Africa and enslaved some of the local population.

Erghh posted:

was thinking the parchment probably says something like "vikings suck dog balls. kill anyone saying this is a legal title to east anglia. ECBERT RULES BJORN DROOLS."
I honestly don't think it will matter. If push comes to shove the vikings will probably just do a Cersei and kill everyone who disagree with their claim.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Has it been established that the shows version of Kattegat is in Norway tho? I mean geographically it wasn't a town at all, but a area of sea between a tiny bit of viking Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Just lmao if they want me to believe those mountains are in Denmark tho, then this show truly is fantasy :smug:

Yeah, Kattegat is part of Norway. It's been mentioned several times that Harald is king of all Norway except Kattegat and it's inevitable he's going to take it from Lagertha at some point since the historical Harald united Norway and the show follows history in broad strokes.

Kattegat is just a fictional town somewhere on the coast of the actual Kattegat body of water between Norway and Denmark. I always just imagine it's not-Oslo.

Alhazred posted:

When Harald says he wants to unify Norway to Aslaug she says that then he would have to defeat Ragnar, plus when Ragnar first visits Aella's court way back in season one a carpet with colors of the norwegian flag is prominently featured.
Of course Hedeby, which was a town in Denmark, is a horseride away from Kattegat so geographically speaking the show makes no sense.

Yeah that part doesn't make much sense, but Kattegat is definitely supposed to be part of Norway and the landscape is a Norwegian fjord. Denmark is flat as a pancake, it's all islands, farmland, and bogs. Sweden is rocky shoreline and forests, Norway is mountains and fjords.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

How does Finland figure into viking history? I always imagined I had some viking in me since my ancestry is Swedish and Finnish. As far as I could tell the vikings didnt really gently caress with the finns because they considered them to be too crazy/dangerous.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Orange Red Bull posted:

How does Finland figure into viking history? I always imagined I had some viking in me since my ancestry is Swedish and Finnish. As far as I could tell the vikings didnt really gently caress with the finns because they considered them to be too crazy/dangerous.

According to QI the Mongols arrived at the same conclusion. Russia should probably have taken the hint.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Don't insult the Khan's emissary. Don't attack Russia during the mud seasons. No, that is not enough boats to overcome the English/British navy. Switzerland and Finland just aren't worth it.

Now you're good to go with your conquest of Europe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Red Bull posted:

. As far as I could tell the vikings didnt really gently caress with the finns because they considered them to be too crazy/dangerous.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not the case. Sometimes the vikings traded with the finns but all in all they didn't think the finns were worth raiding.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, Kattegat is part of Norway. It's been mentioned several times that Harald is king of all Norway except Kattegat and it's inevitable he's going to take it from Lagertha at some point since the historical Harald united Norway and the show follows history in broad strokes.

Is he really king of that much already in the show's current timeline? Between Ragnar being a much larger heroic figure and king himself and his interactions with his stalkee bae, I thought he still had a lot left to do to fill out his historical resume

Also, I was bummed when his brother announced he'd be splitting with him to go raiding with Bjorn in the Mediterranean. I think the two brother characters and their actors have great chemistry and find their scenes together some of the most entertaining out of the many side-characters/subplots, even if the writing for most of them this season did fall to the dumb n cliche level of most of the rest of the show. Also bummed that their new ally met his demise so quickly, thought he had potential to bring a new and different type of perspective to the Viking political n conquest scheming, as well as enjoying his scenes with the ultra-rad tattoo face bros. I don't even really see the point of them having introduced that character outside of giving Lagertha another opportunity to show that she's just so much the baddest of badass Vikings that she never even has to use more than a single facial expression when she's effortlessly and lethargically overcoming another non struggle(to her anyway, any other character would've been overwhelmed and barely scraped by while struggling mightily, maybe even resorting to the cowardly tactic of emoting under duress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kattegat is the furthest away from Norway and is just between Sweden and Denmark

I've bathed in kattegat :getin:

• Locked thread