Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

One thing I noticed about the Sunstone mentioned in the first episode. I'd only seen it in a documentary ages ago, but the ABC News had an article on it yesterday.

Very interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-07/shipwreck-crystal-could-be-viking-sunstone/4557966

According to that article they navigated "even perhaps as far as North America". I thought it more or less universally accepted that the Vikings landed in North America, considering the archaeological evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just watched episode 2 - I'm glad the writers didn't shy away from the fact that Viking raids were basically straight up theft and mass murder parties. The careless way the defenseless priests were massacred was both shocking and a sober reminder that there's little to celebrate or revere about that aspect of their culture.

Theft, rape and murder was pretty par for the course back then, the primary reason the Vikings were vilified was that they didn't give two shits if the people they attacked were Christian.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
The actress who plays the shieldmaiden is phenomenally attractive. Her facial features are really striking in a perplexing mix of beauty and badassery. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that the actress who portrays her was born in 1977.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Radius Fracture posted:

For those of you who were wondering exactly where this is set, I think I heard Erik say that they were in Kattegatt when they returned to the village. It's the waters between Denmark and Sweden. Although their pronunciation isn't always the clearest, so I may be wrong.

The landscapes shown rules out anything but Norway, though.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

I thought this last episode was awesome! I can't believe how absolutely few posts this show gets, say compared to something like The Walking Dead, which pretty much sucks. This was about 5 episodes worth of plot for The Walking Dead, but everyone still manages to have character and depth.

Yeah, if this was The Walking Dead or Lost this episode would be, no exaggeration, them walking from the shore to the town for a good 40 minutes (Lagertha would get lost on the way and maybe fight a bear) and then end on a cliffhanger as they hear the church bells and prepare to attack.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
Katheryn Winnick on the late late show. Goddamn, she is stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GiEfRO6pU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

I think someone earlier said Canada.

Since I'm an American who was never taught jackshit about geography, it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure if I lived in one of those countries this is meant to portray, I'd be annoyed, too.

It could easily pass for western/south western Norway, which I suppose is "close enough" since there were Vikings there as well (just not the particular historical persons the show portrays).

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Conquistador posted:

As she came onto stage I was like. Oh man, what a great smile! Then, oh oh, what a great rack! Oh what a great butt! Oh, and the legs!

Then I realized that she is just absolutely fantastic :stare:

Then realize that she is closer to 40 than 30, unbelievable.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Affi posted:

I also climb mountains when I go to Uppsala from Denmark.

Judging by the scenery they took the famous shortcut through Western Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

it's all rather vague, Danish territory in the 12 century was almost connected with Norways, whos to say who held what near 800AD that south east area of Norway must have been a hotspot for disputes, not much of Norway is inhabitable along the coast.

Actually, due to the gulf stream, more or less all of Norway is inhabitable along the coast, good farmland is sparse but people lived off the sea.
Coastal areas around Tromsų (latitude corresponding to northern Alaska) has been inhabited since the end of the ice age.

• Locked thread