Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

lorn Wayne posted:

How was the watch anyway?

I'm using mine on iOS. It's pretty darn good in terms of build quality, although the functionality is a little limited at the moment - text messages, music control, addressing phone calls, and switchable watchfaces are most of what it does at the moment. Waiting for the extensibility to get grafted onboard.

Piquai Souban has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lorn Wayne posted:

A very large amount of them have broken and there's a bunch of problems getting them repaired.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CAustin posted:

Just came across this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053509224/new-unique-bottle-for-maw-n-paw-bbq-sauce-go-natio

At first I thought it was stupid. After watching the video it's just goddamn depressing. These people are trying to raise money to create a single product: a plastic bottle shaped like a pig's head. Actually, that's their own description, but it really gives the whole thing too much credit. You might get the idea that this bottle will look like a realistic, detailed pig's head. Strange and grotesque, sure, but probably an interesting knick knack for someone out there.

No. Instead, this is what they have planned:

BBQ sauce not included. Yep, that red thing on the right is this family's ingenious new product. And let's be clear here, just in case. It really is just a plastic bottle. It doesn't have any special features, moving parts, or really anything that makes it any different from any other plastic bottle other than, of course, the lazily rendered cartoon pig face. Hell, I'm pretty sure there are already bottles in existence somewhere out there that have reasonably similar pig faces on them. And they probably didn't need kickstarters.

Back to the video, I don't know if I've really seen anything as awkward and pathetic as this 2 minute clip. The little girl is clearly uncomfortable with having this string of inane questions yelled at her over and over, and in the end they couldn't even get her to endorse the product. They literally cut the audio and switched it out with a recording of her saying she likes it. When even a 5 year old girl who is probably (read: hopefully) related to you seems entirely unimpressed by your bullshit, you know you've got a problem.

Oh, and the funding goal for all this? $42,000

So far they only have $25, but hey, they just started.

Why is this penis ejaculating an atomic bomb out of the wrong hole?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
If any goons would like to advertise their own crowdfunding campaign or seek advice for one, we have a thread for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

CAustin posted:

Just came across this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053509224/new-unique-bottle-for-maw-n-paw-bbq-sauce-go-natio

At first I thought it was stupid. After watching the video it's just goddamn depressing. These people are trying to raise money to create a single product: a plastic bottle shaped like a pig's head. Actually, that's their own description, but it really gives the whole thing too much credit. You might get the idea that this bottle will look like a realistic, detailed pig's head. Strange and grotesque, sure, but probably an interesting knick knack for someone out there.

No. Instead, this is what they have planned:

BBQ sauce not included. Yep, that red thing on the right is this family's ingenious new product. And let's be clear here, just in case. It really is just a plastic bottle. It doesn't have any special features, moving parts, or really anything that makes it any different from any other plastic bottle other than, of course, the lazily rendered cartoon pig face. Hell, I'm pretty sure there are already bottles in existence somewhere out there that have reasonably similar pig faces on them. And they probably didn't need kickstarters.

Back to the video, I don't know if I've really seen anything as awkward and pathetic as this 2 minute clip. The little girl is clearly uncomfortable with having this string of inane questions yelled at her over and over, and in the end they couldn't even get her to endorse the product. They literally cut the audio and switched it out with a recording of her saying she likes it. When even a 5 year old girl who is probably (read: hopefully) related to you seems entirely unimpressed by your bullshit, you know you've got a problem.

Oh, and the funding goal for all this? $42,000

So far they only have $25, but hey, they just started.

My god. This has to be one of the most bizarre, schizophrenic projects I've ever seen. $42,000 for a lovely plastic bottle? And all they have is a goddamn RENDER? :psyduck:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The guys who kickstarted Tropes vs Men in Videogames has taken the money and run. :irony:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Huh almost like the Tropes vs Women in Videogames kickstarter as well..

Edit: Misinformed opinion sorry.

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Mar 5, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Exmond posted:

Um...the first video of that is coming out this month, dude.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Like that's a big shock.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Um...the first video of that is coming out this month, dude.

According to the posted article, this week even.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

OtonX
http://www.otonx.com/

Hey let's take a page from the Phantom console! Also Kickstarter that's cool with the kids these days

I notice they say "Not on Kickstarter because of policy change". Most likely referring to the "no using 3D models to pretend you have the design ready to go" policy.

I've also come across a pretty interesting article on the OtonX:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/10/3833080/oton-autonomous-game-console-crowdfunding

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Exmond posted:

Shes actually documented what the funds have been used for.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

senrath posted:

Like that's a big shock.

Wow they actually photoshopped a donation to the ovarian cancer fund. These dudes can get hosed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lorn Wayne posted:

100% useless and tacky looking. I get so many emails that the watch pretty much buzzed and vibrated non-stop. I realize I could have turned off notifications for my email accounts, but that's sort of the point of the watch.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Deadeye Dick posted:

My favorite part is that he decided to spend Christmas posting his IQ test results to his KS update page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0/posts?page=3

He's bragging about scoring 105 on an online IQ test :psyduck:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ashenai posted:

He's bragging about scoring 105 on an online IQ test :psyduck:

I didn't think those things even went lower than like 120

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

I didn't think those things even went lower than like 120

If it is a traditional IQ test and designed correctly, it should have an average of 100 and a standard deviation of 10 with a more or less normal distribution. So he would be smarter than ~50% of the population.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Lady Gaga posted:

If it is a traditional IQ test and designed correctly, it should have an average of 100 and a standard deviation of 10 with a more or less normal distribution. So he would be smarter than ~50% of the population.

It's an online test so it's not remotely designed correctly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I think this commenter said it best: "whiny manbabies turn out not to be very decent people, surprising no one"

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Pead posted:

It's an online test so it's not remotely designed correctly

I just gave it a go, it's just 35 yes/no questions, and then it asked me to pay $10 for my "Complete Personal Intelligence Profile." I chose to believe that was actually the secret 36th question on the IQ test, and I feel like I nailed it.

Ashenai has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Mar 6, 2013

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
Wait, IndieGoGo remove the project pages for projects that are funded successfully and then turn out to be scams? That isn't shady in the slightest...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

makomk posted:

Wait, IndieGoGo remove the project pages for projects that are funded successfully and then turn out to be scams? That isn't shady in the slightest...

They do that because the scam projects are likely to be linking or directing people to other scams by the same people. It actually makes sense in order to try to avoid directing people to be scammed further.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

They do that because the scam projects are likely to be linking or directing people to other scams by the same people. It actually makes sense in order to try to avoid directing people to be scammed further.

They could do the same thing by owning it, retheming the page and content to make it clear that it is a known scam. However it's a lot easier just to sweep it under the rug, walk away and let the press handle it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maluco Marinero posted:

They could do the same thing by owning it, retheming the page and content to make it clear that it is a known scam. However it's a lot easier just to sweep it under the rug, walk away and let the press handle it.

Uhhhh just telling people that something is a scam is not enough to keep people from being suckered by it. If you leave up links to the scammers websites and stuff where they can invite people into other scams, then some people are going to ignore the warning you put up and go blindly ahead to be scammed further.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Speaking of other ditched projects, I recently came across this one. I personally didn't invest in the project, but probably would have had I known about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Uhhhh just telling people that something is a scam is not enough to keep people from being suckered by it. If you leave up links to the scammers websites and stuff where they can invite people into other scams, then some people are going to ignore the warning you put up and go blindly ahead to be scammed further.

But transparency is supposedly the only leverage donors have. If they lose their backer-only comment page where are they supposed to compare notes/organize a class action?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

But transparency is supposedly the only leverage donors have. If they lose their backer-only comment page where are they supposed to compare notes/organize a class action?

Literally anywhere else online. Really organizing on the backers only comments page of a scam project is the least effective way to organize.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Literally anywhere else online. Really organizing on the backers only comments page of a scam project is the least effective way to organize.

But what if they didn't have the foresight to set up an offsite forum? I know you're going to say "idiots", I'm just saying sweeping under the rug is hardly what I consider "protecting people"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maluco Marinero posted:

I play EVE Online, and have an alt named Prince of Nigeria. He is explicitly for scamming when there's nothing better to do. I don't even try very hard, just poo poo like "send me money and I'll double the amount!" There will be dozens of people in chat calling out my scams.

I've still made a decent amount of money doing it with that name, and those people calling me out. In one case someone sent me 500 million spacebucks. You can't do anything to save stupid but make sure stupid never sees the scams in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

But what if they didn't have the foresight to set up an offsite forum? I know you're going to say "idiots", I'm just saying sweeping under the rug is hardly what I consider "protecting people"

A lot of people don't even know how to use backer only forums or comment pages. Indiegogo's are particularly awful to deal with.

At least on ones I've backed, all you get is a comment box and space to write 500 characters per comment. No threads or anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Indiegogo's Terms of Use policies on dealing with shady stuff is pretty much the same as Kickstarter's:

quote:

By way of example, and not limitation, your promise means you will not use the Service:
c. viii. Make any false or misleading Post (such as false or misleading information in the Campaign, in your Campaign Profile (such as misrepresenting the Beneficiary or Campaign purpose) or in a comment)

You agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your Member Content without any obligation to monitor Member Content or disputes between Users or Members. You are responsible for protecting yourself from Member Content or Indiegogo Content which is offensive or harmful.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that Indiegogo may, but is not obligated, in its sole discretion and judgment, to:

a. verify your use at any time as a User or Member
b. permanently or temporarily terminate, suspend, or otherwise refuse to permit your access to or use of the Service or your account(s) or to remove any Member Content, Posts or other content or block any individual or entity for any reason (or no reason at all)
c. delay or withhold the payment of or reverse or refund any Contributions or other amounts

All without notice and without liability for any damages and without necessarily consulting any other parties. Upon termination for any reason, you continue to be bound by this Agreement.

quote:

We are an open platform. You understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to Member Content that may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Member Content should not be viewed as being an endorsement or opinion shared by Indiegogo. You agree that Indiegogo is not liable for any damages or losses resulting from such Member Content.

Basically "We're just a platform, we're not going to get involved in any dramas."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

I play EVE Online, and have an alt named Prince of Nigeria. He is explicitly for scamming when there's nothing better to do. I don't even try very hard, just poo poo like "send me money and I'll double the amount!" There will be dozens of people in chat calling out my scams.

I've still made a decent amount of money doing it with that name, and those people calling me out. In one case someone sent me 500 million spacebucks. You can't do anything to save stupid but make sure stupid never sees the scams in the first place.

I feel like you've mentioned this before, but if not. You really should tell the tale in the Griefing Thread over in Games. I'd love to hear more. Again, assuming you haven't told the tale.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

Something I've always wondered about this; is there any accountability? If the person getting the money cuts and runs with it all is there anything anyone can do? I would imagine Kickstarter has something in their T.O.S that says "Screw you, we're not held liable" to protect themselves.

As someone who is fighting Kickstarter, Amazon, Paypal, and a "developer" for a refund, there's nothing. Kickstarter has it in their TOS that a developer needs to provide a product or a refund, but that's it, and a TOS isn't legally enforceable anyway. So if a developer decides that you don't deserve a refund, you don't get one, and if they cut and run, you're out the cash. As long as they dick you along past the 105 day limit on Amazon Payments refunds there is no recourse outside of a lawsuit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Captain Capacitor posted:

Speaking of other ditched projects, I recently came across this one. I personally didn't invest in the project, but probably would have had I known about it.

Not entirely sure if that one was ditched. If you check the updates there are two backer only updates from January of this year.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

I feel like you've mentioned this before, but if not. You really should tell the tale in the Griefing Thread over in Games. I'd love to hear more. Again, assuming you haven't told the tale.

It's really nothing interesting, just mindless spams while I read stuff. The only thing notable about is that I'm basically named Nigerian Prince and people still fall for it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Verdugo posted:

As someone who is fighting Kickstarter, Amazon, Paypal, and a "developer" for a refund, there's nothing. Kickstarter has it in their TOS that a developer needs to provide a product or a refund, but that's it, and a TOS isn't legally enforceable anyway. So if a developer decides that you don't deserve a refund, you don't get one, and if they cut and run, you're out the cash. As long as they dick you along past the 105 day limit on Amazon Payments refunds there is no recourse outside of a lawsuit.

Which project if you don't mind me asking

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

rootphreak posted:

One thing I noticed no one mentioned on the original thread is the new UPDATED VERSION of Androx.

:master:

I love how these guys never understand plagiarism and art theft.

"This is totally my original character, concept, and art, guys!"

"Oh yeah, and this too!"

I'm still reading through the originally Awful Kickstarter Thread. Every 30 pages, the zombie theme park goon seems to pop-up and whine about how goons don't understand how totally awesome and safe his idea is. I'm ready to skip ahead, how did his tale end?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

afterhours posted:

I'm still reading through the originally Awful Kickstarter Thread. Every 30 pages, the zombie theme park goon seems to pop-up and whine about how goons don't understand how totally awesome and safe his idea is. I'm ready to skip ahead, how did his tale end?

Nothing came of it

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
I think this one qualifies as awful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809021552/the-new-black?ref=category

The presentation is good enough but I just can't wrap my head around it. Is there some sort of market for particular colors? Why would anyone care about the "New Black?"

More to the point, why do you need $15,000 to open Photoshop and play with the color palette? Is he paying Pantone $15k to let him sit in the cafeteria on his Macbook?

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant and missing the point but it seems silly to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SovietSpyGuy posted:

I think this one qualifies as awful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809021552/the-new-black?ref=category

The presentation is good enough but I just can't wrap my head around it. Is there some sort of market for particular colors? Why would anyone care about the "New Black?"

More to the point, why do you need $15,000 to open Photoshop and play with the color palette? Is he paying Pantone $15k to let him sit in the cafeteria on his Macbook?

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant and missing the point but it seems silly to me...

Clearly you just don't get it and quite frankly I'm just embarassed for you

*DJ's trap music at a gallery opening for instagram photos*