Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I grabbed a few typical comments off those rehosts if people are wondering what they're like. (Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

... and so on and so forth.

Ha, I'm kind of glad she ended up disabling comments - the explosion of insane manbabies getting pissed off in other parts of the web is even funnier than the comment thread would have been.

I'm most blown away by the fact the Amazing Atheist still makes videos after his banana loving incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean

Hmmm, I certainly hope the food he's planning on cooking doesn't look like curdled snot slopped onto a paper plate...
Just kidding, the curdled snot was his teaser pic on the project listing page:

Those are deviled eggs. Though I do admit it looks like he just slapped the poo poo on a plate and called it a day.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Desperado Bones posted:

:swoon: This is beautiful, does Amazon accept international debit cards? I just want to throw money at them.

So long as it reads on their end as a valid credit card, yes it should. I use a Canadian one all the time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Another (potentially) non-crappy Kickstarter appears!

Richard Garriott is making a new game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

To balance it out, here's something completely idiotic:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460594218/the-rock-string-for-iphone

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Wait wait wait... we're getting a new Planescape Torment, a new Baldurs Gate I/II/Infinity engine, a new Elite, a new Wing Commander and... and now a new Ultima? It's like all of my gaming prayers have been answered, I'm flabbergasted. :psyboom:

For all the dreck on it I sure love what Kickstarter is doing to the games industry.

Nightmare Squad
May 15, 2008

Look here steakhead...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1177069668/the-comeback-angelina-pivarnick

One of the cast members from MTVs "hit" tv show Jersey Shore started a Kickstarter. Its from Angelina, the one who somehow got kicked off twice. She is asking for 8000 to fix her car start a reality show since MTV apparently didn't show the real Angelina. It is quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen. Check out the picture in the update and see whats wrong with it. I think I will just donate a buck just out of pity

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Another (potentially) non-crappy Kickstarter appears!

Richard Garriott is making a new game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

This one belongs here because it's loving ridiculous that millionaire space tourist Richard Garriot is asking us to pay for his next game despite being loaded and easily able to contribute the entire sum himself. And even if he has spunked all his cash on castles and luxurious robes, he's still one of the most recognisable names in the industry and should have no difficulty finding a publisher or someone to stump up some real money. But then unlike us plebs those arseholes always want stupid things like a "return on their investment" while we're just happy having an artist spend two seconds putting our names on a virtual gravestone.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
For all the people saying "don't treat kickstarter as a pre order system, see it as helping people get stuff done with bonus things if they succeed!" Kickstarter is WORKING as a pre order system, along with the less tangible projects. It's raised millions through pre selling stuff like video games and comics and miniatures. Companies and pledgers alike often treat it as such, and it often works very well. Look at the miniatures companies with laughably small goals but ridiculous choice of rewards packages, you know you're pre ordering models, they know you're pre ordering models and kickstarter knows models are being pre ordered.

Don't treat it as a risk-free pre order system is better advice. As with any unknown, start up or pre order not backed by a huge parent company, research the people and companies involved, sit down and think hard about whether the business plan you're looking at makes sense, look for existing alternatives on amazon or alibaba to make sure it's not just importers with a markup. If you do that, there's nothing wrong with putting down money with the expectation (though not cast iron guarantee) that something will be delivered. And, as far as I'm aware, you have as much of a right to sue the company if they don't deliver as you would have if you ordered through their own website, you just can't involve kickstarter as they treat themselves as a platform, just as you can't sue the web hosting company of the website of the people who dicked you over.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Mar 8, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nightmare Squad posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1177069668/the-comeback-angelina-pivarnick

One of the cast members from MTVs "hit" tv show Jersey Shore started a Kickstarter. Its from Angelina, the one who somehow got kicked off twice. She is asking for 8000 to fix her car start a reality show since MTV apparently didn't show the real Angelina. It is quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen. Check out the picture in the update and see whats wrong with it.

It's been rotated 90 degrees?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Her teeth are covered in lipstick.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's been rotated 90 degrees?

What's with the lipstick on her teeth? I mean surely she could have had someone Photoshop that out before posting it.

Edit:
I am now getting an odd Weekend at Bernie's vibe from that last picture..she's really dead and someone is now doing her make up, posing her on the ground, etc. Explains the soulless eyes/smile.

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Mar 8, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean
Hmmm, I certainly hope the food he's planning on cooking doesn't look like curdled snot slopped onto a paper plate...
Just kidding, the curdled snot was his teaser pic on the project listing page:

This is a Kickstarter to buy groceries. His video consists of him...pouring water into a bowl?

And if you pledge $75, you get "excutre producer and cop of dvd," in December 2014.

Sweeeeeeeeet.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SovietSpyGuy posted:

This is a Kickstarter to buy groceries. His video consists of him...pouring water into a bowl?

And if you pledge $75, you get "excutre producer and cop of dvd," in December 2014.

Sweeeeeeeeet.

Check his other Kickstarters :psyduck:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/515481689/lunchman-foodemon-adventures-and-tasks?ref=users

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/515481689/silent-animals?ref=users

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

I grabbed a few typical comments off those rehosts if people are wondering what they're like. (Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

... and so on and so forth.

To be fair poo poo reddit says is full of terrible comments. Same with Tumblr.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Lunchman posted:

Foodamon is the same as the hit TV series Pokemon. The only difference is that he is on a mission for food "gotta catch 'em all." The legendary foodamon man is on his regular quest to discover more food. As he finds more food, they keep turning sugar free. ((Sugar free is the same as Kryptonite to Superman). The hero now must go and find out why they are turning into sugar free. He must defeat his arch enemy doing all this before everything is sugar free.

How did I not know this existed when it was running? I'd have pledged the entire 1,000 for Foodemon.

edit: I found his first video that he wants to make the sequel to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCq8F-8QWk

It may actually be loving genius.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Mar 8, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

pathetic little tramp posted:

How did I not know this existed when it was running? I'd have pledged the entire 1,000 for Foodemon.

The good news is Japan already made that show, and it's more amazing than you could ever imagine.

But without the food turning sugar-free part. And more chopping tasty monsters to death.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Exmond posted:

To be fair poo poo reddit says is full of terrible comments. Same with Tumblr.

Thanks for being fair, I guess?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Someone is kickstarting graph paper.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

SomeAsshole posted:

The purpose of this project is to fund a print run of pads designed for sketching geomorphic map tiles.

A lot of words for something that is basically "pad paper for drawing pretend castles".

More content:

"Help me make an even crappier Snorg Tee":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1179667886/wisconsin-badgers-youre-among-drunks-shirt?ref=recently_launched

"lol, I troll KS":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1443247698/paint-skillz-by-james?ref=recently_launched

Not really that awful, but very :effort: in general:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/characternity/just-the-women?ref=recently_launched

"Fund our vacation...oh, and we'll make a doco about it or something":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2018361969/the-backpackers-0?ref=recently_launched

"We need your money in order to delve into an already saturated market with nothing new or interesting to say about it":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53037966/parallels-the-comic-book?ref=recently_launched

"Here's the deal: You pay me, I draw some T&A for you":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/595152427/brandi-bare-issue-3-0?ref=recently_launched

"^^This but with videogames":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1727847183/hero-monster-girl-quest-3d?ref=recently_launched

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Mar 9, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Besides, who the gently caress is going to order some tiny A7 pads with weird-rear end 7mm squares from some sketchy dude on the internet if every office supply store has been carrying proper A4 pads for less since forever?

On the other hand, it is a Kickstarter whose product actually exists and has a non-zero chance of getting fulfilled :colbert:.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
From the makers of a $12 pocket whistle and a $15 keychain pill holder comes the Tactical Pen, a $30 pen housing that has already met its goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1838656053/tactical-pen

It's cool, sure, but not $30 cool and it's not remotely an original product that doesn't already exist as made by 50 different companies. Who wants to bet that they've outsourced all of their projects to China and are making $29 on each pen?

Or maybe I just hate companies that use Kickstarter to sell crap they're already making as if it's eBay.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

So I poke into the thread for a good laugh at people having terrible ideas and I see a KS for a new Ultima game. With this, Torment, Wasteland, and Shadowrun, suddenly I don't know if I'm actually dead and in some kind of magical heaven where fairies float around granting wishes for sequels and updates to the games and franchises I love, or if this is some hell where all the fairies are secretly monkey paws and everything I love will turn into complete poo poo.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Elissia posted:

So I poke into the thread for a good laugh at people having terrible ideas and I see a KS for a new Ultima game. With this, Torment, Wasteland, and Shadowrun, suddenly I don't know if I'm actually dead and in some kind of magical heaven where fairies float around granting wishes for sequels and updates to the games and franchises I love, or if this is some hell where all the fairies are secretly monkey paws and everything I love will turn into complete poo poo.

Yeah its a new Ultima game but isn't it actually Richard Garriot doing it? I don't really know much about it but from what I've read most people don't really trust him to do something worthwhile from a Kickstarter project. Public opinion may have changed since I last read up on it though so take this with a grain of salt.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

This one belongs here because it's loving ridiculous that millionaire space tourist Richard Garriot is asking us to pay for his next game despite being loaded and easily able to contribute the entire sum himself. And even if he has spunked all his cash on castles and luxurious robes, he's still one of the most recognisable names in the industry and should have no difficulty finding a publisher or someone to stump up some real money. But then unlike us plebs those arseholes always want stupid things like a "return on their investment" while we're just happy having an artist spend two seconds putting our names on a virtual gravestone.

Also it's been two decades since he made anything good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also it's been two decades since he made anything good.

I'm guessing that quote is from the gaming KS thread? Also I'm worried that they make a new baldurs gate and its just full of terrible Poser models

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm guessing that quote is from the gaming KS thread? Also I'm worried that they make a new baldurs gate and its just full of terrible Poser models

You know what they need to do. Hire the Lore guy to make them some goblins, he's so good at it!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Alan Smithee posted:

No, the post he quoted is from earlier on this page.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

senrath posted:

No, the post he quoted is from earlier on this page.

:negative:

I'll be in my bed chambers whipping myself

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That new ultima game looks awful. I know Ultima games have never really looked good, but man, it is terrible. The font looks terrible, the characters look cheap. I'm not too thrilled about it, not sure it is going to get funded.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AxeManiac posted:

That new ultima game looks awful. I know Ultima games have never really looked good, but man, it is terrible. The font looks terrible, the characters look cheap. I'm not too thrilled about it, not sure it is going to get funded.

It'd be a fairly atypical kickstarter for it to reach 40% within a day but not the full sum in thirty. I guess SHAKER would be the closest example to the contrary, but their total before cancelling was below 250k, and they were asking for as much as Garriott is.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hey, at least they have actual screen shots! And an actual name! That's more than you can say for most video game kickstarters! Even big ones like Double Fine's and Obsidian's didn't have a name or actual screenshots!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The guy kickstarting graph paper is the lowest of the low. What is his target audience, I'm genuinely curious? Everybody who does table top RPGs or otherwise needs graphing paper already knows about it. It's so terrible that a better angle for pitching this would have been to word-salad some design buzzwords (golden ratio of length to width, optimal number of squares for tesselation, grid lines precisely 0.345 mm thick to provide optimal gaming experience) to appeal to the snob crowd. At least it's nice to see that his D&D group and parents chipped in so a £150 project doesn't fail.

I'm pretty excited about The Reward series, I saw the short when it came out and I loved it. I hope it gets funded.
Bonus: The Reward was a part of Bachelor Films 2013 (third year student project at the Character Animation and Computer Grafic Art), you can see the rest of the animations from 2007 through to 2013 here. My favorites are The Backwater Gospel and The Sage of Biorn so if you like this kind of animation shorts check them out.

Just a reminder: Dreamfall Chapters, sequel to The Longest Journey, has 32 hours left to go as of writing this. The project has been funded completely, but if you forgot to chip in now would be the time to do it. It would be nice to reach the 1,500,000 "Director's Cut" stretch goal which will include a lot of new content.

They recently updated with a trailer showing various bits of nice looking (alpha, I guess) game footage, kickstarter video bloopers and other stuff, go take a look.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Whatever happened to that terrible adult Kickstarter ripoff? Did it fail already?

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Whatever happened to that terrible adult Kickstarter ripoff? Did it fail already?

Oh my god please tell it was called Cockstarter

Edit: Dickstarter is also acceptable!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Offbeatr. It's still around.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Offbeatr. It's still around.

Has it produced anything yet? poo poo, everything I saw on that site wasn't even being pledged yet because there was a system where you had to vote to get your project pledged.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

Has it produced anything yet?

NOTE: OBVIOUSLY INCREDIBLY NWS:
http://offbeatr.com/explore/display/status:successful-projects

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

He will be the first against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

AxeManiac posted:

It's basically placeholder art, they just wanted something to show off for the Kickstarter/at SXSW.