Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Wow, his fursona of a sad, fat, neckbearded, human in a fedora is pretty realistic looking, even down to the vitamin D deficiency and lazy eye. I must say, those loving furries are getting pretty crafty with their costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Almost nothing but furry projects, of which I'm lumping in the succubus/incubus web RPG.

The alley mural is pretty cool, but, to be honest, they could have done a Kickstarter for that and just not mentioned that it would be sex graffiti.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sid Vicious posted:

He will be the first against the wall.

Lucky for him that the revolution will never come. Every time we're ready to go, someone else comes along who will also be first against the wall and we have to build an extension. (Don't suggest revising the filing system; that would take even longer.)

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

gschmidl posted:

It's basically placeholder art, they just wanted something to show off for the Kickstarter/at SXSW.

Noooo, gonna have to agree with AxeManiac here. I'm no heartless tin man unmoved by nostalgia, and U7 and UO were both life-changingly extraordinary, but no amount of wanting to love this game is going to convince me that this is looking good, or even mediocre. It looks bad, like barely better than Ultima 9. For example, in part of the video as Garriot talks about what makes a great RPG, a nearly unlit character on screen is bashing on a catapult with a sword until it catches fire and ultimately explodes violently in a shower of chunky pieces. During the part where Garriot talks about "logically crafted, culturally relevant storytelling" the woman on-screen is telling the avatar that her family specializes in selling tamed ducks.

Color me cynical, but while DF:A, Wasteland, Project Infinity, Star Citizen and Shadowrun are all looking great or at least pretty good, this is just dismal. If it's placeholder art they should have gone with no art.

God I hope I'm wrong, I'd give my left thumb for a real Ultima sequel. It will definitely get funded; already over 50% with 28 days left, so I guess we'll all find out.

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Mar 10, 2013

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chewbot posted:

Color me cynical, but while DF:A, Wasteland, Project Infinity, Star Citizen and Shadowrun are all looking great or at least pretty good, this is just dismal. If it's placeholder art they should have gone with no art.

Oh, I'm not defending the current looks (which are pretty bad), just clarifying what they've been saying about this valid concern. I've bounced off of Ultima games time and again, so I have no vested interest in white-knighting this project, and I'm not a backer. As you say, it'll likely get funded anyway, and it's not like people can't go buy it when it comes out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
:stare::stonk::gonk:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/natural-harvest-cooking-show-a-collection-of-semen-based-recipes

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Thanks. Now I feel physically ill .

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

This really pisses me off. I spent years trying to get my delicious menstural blood boutique jam off the ground. Where were the backers then? Where was crowd funding when i needed it to avoid bankruptcy and keep the Monthly Jam Company serving exquisite spreads and jellies to my sophisticated clientele?These naive bastards don't understand what a vicious bitch goddess the bodily fluid cuisine business is.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

I remember seeing that book years ago. But you know, for all that high-falutin' fancy talk, you'd think the headline image wouldn't just be a freakin' eclair that someone came all over.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Hey, let's see what's going on at Indigogo under the keyword "mmorpg", which never lets me down:

quote:

Brawler's Treasure - Revolution in Online Entertainment

Become a millionaire while playing revolutionary and most astonishing MMORPG game with one mutual world for Phones, Tablets, PCs, Gaming Consoles and even TVs!

I am so, so confused. I guess they need $600,000 to have a treasure-centric MMORPG featuring this country:

And it's a treasure-based. Involving real treasure. Treasures!

I needed to screenshot this in case it suddenly changes and you all accuse me of having some sort of fever dream:

Yes, I would indeed like to step up by joining to treasure mode! There I can become a winner of real treasure that is worth 250,00 euros and I can collect a gear that can be manufactured and be competing with millions in real time for something that is virtual and real at the same time. Am I a strong enough dude to survive alone and take everything for myself or do I want to make some friends and join the guild, consciously knowing that dividing and sharing is inevitable? To answer your question: YES.

I have the perseverance and flair, which are highly required! GOD drat those nooks of hell. Yes, game makers, I am ready to stand in the lights of glory from heavens as ONE who strived hardly and looked they all you desired(?). Answer: I am ready for the Brawler's Treasure!

quote:

Have you ever seen a game with some or much of compelixty where you can win real version of something that is in it virtually? You have rescued princess Peach as Mario for sure. Do you have her number or did you dated her in real life? We know that you know. There are no games like Brawler's Treasure. This is amazing!

Where the hell has Fragmaster gone off to? I need him to do a dramatic reading of this entire campaign proposal.

A select quote from their website:

quote:

Some of Highlights:

Newest technologies
Boundlessness of Creation
Professionalism of Actions
Ingenious Workflow

High-End Graphics
Worldwide Range
Brave Moves
Mind & Soul Cooperation

The artwork is good, but I'm guessing that it's either stolen or prior works of the artists and unrelated to the game.

There's got to be some sort of language issue here but it's still blowing my mind. Each sentence of the campaign proposal rings in my head as if Balki from Perfect strangers is desperate to make a massive videogame. If I tried to make a fake MMORPG campaign as a joke, I don't think I could come even near to this level of perfection. I feel like I'm in the audience at an early Andy Kaufman show, confused as all hell about whether or not this production before me is real or fake.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Play buttcoins: the game! The amount of time you spend virtually will give you REAL LIFE MONEY. Programming? Oh no I'm more of an ideas man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noni posted:

The artwork is good, but I'm guessing that it's either stolen or prior works of the artists and unrelated to the game.

http://robekka.deviantart.com/art/Forgotten-King-343803004
http://cghub.com/images/view/262024/
http://88grzes.deviantart.com/art/Winter-Landscape-199922567
http://robekka.deviantart.com/art/Lust-Devil-346866624
Yeah they're all old images. The artists seem to match up with their 'art team', however. Whether they know they're on the art team is anyone's guess ...

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Mar 10, 2013

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

One of the concept art is fanart of a character from World of Warcraft.

=

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People pitched a fit because Dante in the Devil May Cry remake had hair that was like the developer's, so in this day and age having Garriot's self-insert in the game is going to cause riots.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People pitched a fit because Dante in the Devil May Cry remake had hair that was like the developer's, so in this day and age having Garriot's self-insert in the game is going to cause riots.

I thought there every character was a Garriot self-insert? :confused:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To be fair that pretty much was the only explanation for why it was such a terribly written re-imagining.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well lookee what just hit youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

IT BEGINS :getin:

My only problems with this are that

a) Zelda was too the protagonist in her own game (on the CDi) (okay fine, that doesn't count)

and

b) Double Dragon Neon is a rather ironic and self-referential game that pokes a bit of fun at the franchise. The gut-punch at the beginning is more like a Louis CK joke in that it's funny because it's wrong.

Okay, so it's still wrong, I guess that doesn't count either...

mineral
Apr 10, 2006

¡quiero dulces!
Civitas update! 1/3 funded - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d

Basically the 'lead developer' still hasn't introduced a team, posted proper bio's, shown concept art, game mechanics, or posted video content. He gets very defensive if you question his ability or credentials, and tends to make keep making excuses to why the updates are so sparse.

He finally posted a website a week into the kickstarter with a forum. A thread was posted "Meet the Team!" and aside from the creator, only one other ghost developer chimed in with a few paragraphs about who they are. They claim they are worried about getting fired from their current jobs if they go public.

Then some of the backers started calling the lead dev out on how sketchy the project seems in its current state, and he replied with:

quote:

Ok, this is getting out of hand, these little self described internet detectives seem so hell bent on destroying me personally that we can't even discuss the team or the game. We have a simple goal of creating a well made city simulation game called Civitas. We are extremely excited about it. We are working hard to get the community going and the beta ready to show if we are successful with funding.

instead of us being able to focus on our game we have had my name dragged all through the mud. At this point I really can't think of anything I haven't been accused of. i really wanted to just stay above it and present nothing but positive attitude, and get this project going.

This has started to affect the kickstarter due to the fact it has spilled over into the comments. We really want Civitas to be successful, but not at the expense of our personal life being attacked. I personally never even thought that could possibly happen through a kickstarter. None of my friends that have done these have ever seen this kind of reaction.

I could think of one easy way to figure out the greylan questions if I wanted to expose something. Business are registered to their owners. Look it up with the state it was registered in, in greylans case, ms. Go to the secretary of states website and look at the recorded owners.Hint: its actually registered as greyland studios because a miscommunication, but search greylan and it will come up. There are two owners, notice who is not listed? That takes all of 2 minutes.

So like I said before, these kinds of personal attacks are just hurting our chances of making a great game. We have already lost a ton of pledges over it, and that puts us farther from our goal. We will still be putting out our video today, and we are still really excited about the game. And we hope the personal attacks will stop.

drat those pesky internet detectives!!!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's not like he could easily satisfy all the so called internet detectives with only a modicum of effort or anything if he was legit :rolleyes:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dudes stop asking questions. Don't you want to see games by gamers for gamers!? It's going to be on the Ouya. The OUYA

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Deadeye Dick posted:

My only problems with this are that

a) Zelda was too the protagonist in her own game (on the CDi) (okay fine, that doesn't count)

and

b) Double Dragon Neon is a rather ironic and self-referential game that pokes a bit of fun at the franchise. The gut-punch at the beginning is more like a Louis CK joke in that it's funny because it's wrong.

Okay, so it's still wrong, I guess that doesn't count either...
I watched it all, one part that stood out to me was Princess Peach has never been in a game as a protagonist. Except that game on the DS where she was, but we don't count that because ________.

Other than that, it seems like an average game history video that focuses on female characters. I want to say that I have an opinion on the whole "re-releasing games with the trope" aspect, maybe make a terrible analogy to remaking movies with racist tones in them because "that's how it was," but I can't think of one. I didn't even know that this was an issue. How is this issue solved other than straight up removing the female character/rescue plot, or making the females males (and/or vice versa for the heroes)?

I'm hoping her part two of "Damsel in Distress" goes into her ideas for solving this, but it seems like it'll be "This trope is in video games, but these games are newer." Has anyone else watched part one yet?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dieting Hippo posted:

I watched it all, one part that stood out to me was Princess Peach has never been in a game as a protagonist. Except that game on the DS where she was, but we don't count that because ________.

They did mention it as an aside that it would be touched upon in the next part.

Also, the DS game is hilariously sexist because Peach's "superpower" is being an over-emotional female.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Super Princess Peach isn't part of the main series, and they specified main series like a billion times. Sorry you weren't paying attention? Also yeah, it doesn't count because it's basically "LOL, Women Are So Irrational, Am I Right?: The Video Game".

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

I didn't watch the video, but I thought you could play as Peach in Super Mario Bros 2?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

23 Flavors posted:

I didn't watch the video, but I thought you could play as Peach in Super Mario Bros 2?

Doesn't count, because SMB2 is just Doki Doki Panic.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

23 Flavors posted:

That's addressed too. SMB2 was a straight up reskin of another game which had 4 playable characters, one of which was a Princess. She's never been made into the hero of a main series game as a result of authorial intent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dieting Hippo posted:

Yeah, I noticed the cherry-picked examples as well. The other egregious example of cherry-picking was that Sarkeesian spends over 20 minutes ragging almost exclusively on Nintendo for their lack of female protagonists, and never once mentions that Nintendo were in fact the first game company to release a major game with a female protagonist - namely, Metroid.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

23 Flavors posted:

They did mention this and went into a lot of detail about that game. She makes the very good point that you have Toad and Peach both as playable characters in that game, but in the latest games Peach has been replaced with another Toad.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Super Princess Peach isn't part of the main series, and they specified main series like a billion times. Sorry you weren't paying attention? Also yeah, it doesn't count because it's basically "LOL, Women Are So Irrational, Am I Right?: The Video Game".

You are right, she does specify "main series." Still, it is one of the examples of role-reversal for stereotypically helpless princesses. Even if it does have the whole "mood" system (women-are-hysterical-dames trope), she is still a strong female lead rescuing a helpless male. It may only be one game out of the millions Nintendo has pumped out, but it was a baby step in the right direction.

Now, if you want to talk about a strong female lead being neutered (spayed?) out of their games, look at Samus. Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal. Except for Other M where she becomes "uguu samus-chan~," a submissive female that can't do anything until Adam tells her. poo poo, it's even known from interviews that that's what Sakamoto was going for.

I'd be happy to see "Other M" in the next video. It's a wonderful discussion topic on this industry going in the absolute wrong direction.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I noticed the cherry-picked examples as well. The other egregious example of cherry-picking was that Sarkeesian spends over 20 minutes ragging almost exclusively on Nintendo for their lack of female protagonists, and never once mentions that Nintendo were in fact the first game company to release a major game with a female protagonist - namely, Metroid.

Umm, the point is that the poster franchise of video games is almost entirely based on this trope story wise. She doesn't go on a gently caress Nintendo rant, she specifically goes through what is wrong with their choice of narrative, and shows examples of how it is prevalent within video games. Does this exploration require her to go in detail about other games so Nintendo don't seem so bad, even though that games has zero to do with the exploration of the Damsel in Distress trope? Hell no.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The General posted:

Doesn't count, because SMB2 is just Doki Doki Panic.

Doki Doki Panic was originally created to become the next Mario game, before being shelved for a while, then retooled to match a Japanese tv promotion.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Install Gentoo posted:

Doki Doki Panic was originally created to become the next Mario game, before being shelved for a while, then retooled to match a Japanese tv promotion.

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

Don't forget her presence in Super Mario RPG.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yup. This came up in the retro games thread; surprisingly, it's actually Japanese SMB2 that's the real black sheep, as it was basically a hastily thrown together romhack that was entirely too difficult.

edit: It even says this in the wikipedia article for SMB2j:

quote:

First released in Japan on June 3, 1986, it is the direct sequel to the then-best-selling video game of all time, Super Mario Bros.[4] The developers have stated it was not, in fact, the original planned sequel, which was a prototype game that was eventually originally released somewhat unfinished in Japan as Doki Doki Panic.[5]

quote:

They realised they already had one option as Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic (Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic), also designed by Miyamoto, had actually begun development as the original prototype "Super Mario Bros. 2" and had been changed into Doki Doki due to a licensing arrangement and also its radically different approach to platforming;[5] it was therefore reworked and released as Super Mario Bros. 2 in North America and Europe and later as Super Mario USA in Japan.[16]

Cicero has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Mar 12, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AxeManiac posted:

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool.

There's a good article on it here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

The intention was originally to make a Mario game that had a focus on moving vertically and doing co-op gameplay. Some of that survived in how SMB2 still has long stretches where you move mostly vertical, and the co-op kinda morphed into the 4 character thing.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

There's a good article on it here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

The intention was originally to make a Mario game that had a focus on moving vertically and doing co-op gameplay. Some of that survived in how SMB2 still has long stretches where you move mostly vertical, and the co-op kinda morphed into the 4 character thing.

News to me, interesting. It's funny because it's so easy to buy the alternative because of how it's a complete departure from the rest of the main series, no Bowser, selectable characters, no score, etc.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
What is it with these weird board games based on things like having a vacation with your family or visiting theme parks with your family? They always make me think of a really depressed household that's too boring to do fun things, so they pretend they're doing fun things instead.

Wouldn't you rather have your kids pretend to be ruthless capitalists or conquer Eurasia instead of mundane crap you could be doing ala driving to see The World's Biggest Ball of Twine?

Jedit posted:

The other egregious example of cherry-picking was that Sarkeesian spends over 20 minutes ragging almost exclusively on Nintendo for their lack of female protagonists, and never once mentions that Nintendo were in fact the first game company to release a major game with a female protagonist - namely, Metroid.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Now, if you want to talk about a strong female lead being neutered (spayed?) out of their games, look at Samus. Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal.
Not to poo poo the thread up with this, but Samus isn't a positive for Nintendo here. At all. She's a faceless suit of armor any time she's doing something of note (or to quote a 90s review, "the Transformer-like suit she wears could just as easily contain a large centipede; it's hardly a breakthrough for feminism"), and is only distinctly female when the player's being congratulated for success or punished for failure. Sarkeesian's actually going to go into that.

"From Samus to Lara" interview posted:

I will be talking extensively about the Metroid franchise in my upcoming video series and specifically addressing the use of Samus Aran's body as a reward for players as a prime example of the "Women as Reward" trope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dieting Hippo posted:

Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal.

I can't use my fire suit to protect me from the lava surrounding me because Adam hasn't told me I'm allowed to use it yet.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

And hear I was just spreading it on toast like a chump!

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't use my fire suit to protect me from the lava surrounding me because Adam hasn't told me I'm allowed to use it yet.

My grapple beam could help me save my buddies life, but... what would Adam-chan think????

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

Now, if you want to talk about a strong female lead being neutered (spayed?) out of their games, look at Samus. Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal. Except for Other M where she becomes "uguu samus-chan~," a submissive female that can't do anything until Adam tells her. poo poo, it's even known from interviews that that's what Sakamoto was going for.

I'd be happy to see "Other M" in the next video. It's a wonderful discussion topic on this industry going in the absolute wrong direction.

Even before "Other M", Samus was being depowered and sexualized in the Zero Mission and Smash Bros. Brawl by being stripped of her iconic and remarkably unfeminine Power Suit in favor for the skin-tight Zero Suit and making her a slim blonde. I certain Sarkeesian will bring that up in the Fighting gently caress Toy segment.

Also, Nintendo, can you at least once make "The Legend Of Zelda" mean something? It's not the legend of Link, it's Zelda's legend. Like it's Zelda's story. It's a point that's actually bothered me before the Tropes Vs. Women pointed it out.