Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I've decided to wade into mod territory with the help of this thread, but I have one small problem that is kind of amusing. Seasons are working fine on all lots, but all the PEG Seasonal wilderness and birch tress are all backward and southern hemisphere-y. So in May, the wilderness is turning red and lots are blooming; in November, the, wilderness thriving and lots are dead. I've tried reinstalling the seasonal packs to no avail; is there some other mod that might be doing this that was included in the packs?

Oh and random crashes. I'm using a combination of the first two packs listed (Aside from goon megapack- link seemed dead), but I've deleted duplicate files so :shrug:

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

BrassRoots posted:

Are you loading the game through the launcher available on STEX? If not, do it. then you can choose launch options that will make it a lot more stable. Personally, i go 1 core, high priority and use OpenGL for graphics. works really well for me.

As for seasonal stuff, check the description before you plop. Most will tell you what month to plop it so that the colours change at the right times. I know for most seasonal trees they recommend plopping during September. This lines up with the other non-ploppable trees that come in building lots. Besides, a month is just a number. What's the big deal if it is a 3 or a 9?

I thought I'd pop back in and say I solved my crashing problem, in case anyone else experiences the same. My plugins had gotten rather bloated, 3+GB- apparently above that, the game has a tendency to crash when saving due to memory shortages as its a 32-bit program. The solution that actually worked came from a random post on a random forum I found and have since lost- but basically, I had to patch the EXE to allow the program to address up to 4GB of virtual memory, using This 4GB patch.

Also, I hadn't realized that plopped trees followed seasons starting in september from when you plopped them- so when I terraformed and prepared my region, all of my trees were planted in January. So all of my parks and growable buildings followed northern hemisphere seasons (fall Sept-Nov), all of the wild trees were following southern hemisphere seasons. Your solution worked, so thanks!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 26, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I recently started exploring all the fancy custom airports and seaports, and functional railyards. I think I've finally gotten the hang of making some nice, realistic regions- thanks in large part to learning how to make large sprawling suburbs, large land areas dedicated to farming, and limiting 'high density' zoning to downtown cores while using medium density a lot more. It's resulted in a lot more pleasant look to my cities, and a change in my playstyle from 'optimized megalopolis' to 'fun zen garden for urban simulation', so I take time with cities rather than rushing them.

Unfortunately through all this my plugins folder had gotten so bloated I was experiencing random CTD from conflicting mods on city loading. So I decided to wipe it all, and install the latest Old Fashioned Pack, functional airports/seaports, modular rail yard, as well as the prop pack for seawalls and whatnot. Still a large mod folder, but pretty much everything I really need to create cities.

Before approaching my latest region, I decided to embrace my inner :spergin:, and drew up some development plans before starting in on my project;

This game really excels at everything SimCity 2013 did miserably. I can start a large project and work on it an hour or so at a time, and it's actually kind of rewarding and fun, especially once you learn it well enough to start taking this kind of top down approach.

My only gripe is how cumbersome many of the mods are to use. I'm impressed by how far the modding community has pushed this game, but god drat is tabbing through puzzle pieces ever annoying.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 20, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can't get the 'Diagonal Bridge Enabler' mod to work at all. I've tried using it in conjunction with the toggle mod and without, and my cities are never drained of water. I have C++ installed, and I've tried running it in compatibility mode and administrator mode. Anyone know what might be the problem? I'm running Windows 8 64 bit for reference.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I get no such dialog actually, regardless if I use manual install or the toggle enabler. Nonetheless, I'll see if there's a backup exe! Truth be told this is the third successive installation (I usually clean house when I start in on a new region project- redownload only what I used) I've used with this mod installed and it's never worked right for me, so I'm thinking it must have something to do with 64-bit, and I'm not sure if a backup exe will fix it. Strangely the community forums are completely void of anyone reporting the same issue which is why I asked here.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

LabDrunk40 posted:

Any ideas? For the meantime, I’ll probably go back to 2.0 (which never once gave me problems).

Hey, I had the same problem you described long ago, but have not experienced old fashioned 3.0 related crashes. Therefor, It's probably due to the fact Old fashioned 3 is larger than 2 and your virtual memory limit is exceeded. It usually produces random crashes, especially on save. There's various fixes for this, but I'm on my phone and can't find them right now. Try searching for the '4gb patch' on google, and I think there's a sim city 4 specific solution on one of the community solutions.

The only issue I experienced with old fashioned 3 is the diagonal bridge enabler folder did not work out of the box in my experience, requiring a reinstall. and for some reason I'm getting some brown boxes and graphical glitches when using certain starter pieces on diagonal bridges.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It happens if at any point during the saving process the SimCity 4 game loses system focus. If you're playing windowed and you, say, browse the internet while saving, this will usually happen as well as the previously mentioned alt-tabbing.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, I suggest just using the ones in the thread. Apparently the mod community has weird hang ups about making bundles and whatnot because they all have their independent mod exchanges and exclusive stuff.

Used the old fashioned pack and manually fix and brown boxes and be happy with it. You can do a lot with it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I was wondering if anyone in this thread has a good solution for sunken highway embankments. Most of the ones I've found are a little lacking- bad style, missing pieces, or incompatible with NAM roads. Should I just rely on seawall embankments and whatnot? I'm looking for something modern to compliment the Old Fashioned pack. Also do roadside ditch plots exist for rural towns?

I was also wondering if there were any good solutions for diagonal bridges for RHW and whatnot. I've used diagonal bridge enabler, but I find the graphics quite glitchy and often faulty, and completely missing for all 2-tile roadways.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 28, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Does anybody have some tips on developing realistic industrial parks in the game ? I've kind of grasped a lot of the philosophy of realism and proper city design for commercial and residential zones, and breaking away from the grid; but I'm a little lost for industrial parks.

I'm not afraid of mods or dependency hell, I'm too far gone already.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I wanted. I always gravitated toward locating my industry near major transit hubs like railroads and sea ports but I never really grasped what shape to do the roads or how much green space to leave in industrial parks. Irregular polygonal roads in major industrial parks, and multiple isolated small industrial parks and factories does seen a lot more realistic.

Also I've realized a big component of realistic city design that the regular game neglects- you need to be quite liberal with above ground parking because suburban strip malls and industrial parks kind of look wrong without them. None of the lots provide a realistic amount of parking for themselves.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 12, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Mt Sinai totally deserves a ski resort.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Every time I use a slope mod I get this weird oscillating thing going on. The road will always dip lower than I intend and then rebound in smaller oscillations like a spring. I've mostly used the Enneti medium slope mod but it happens with most of the ones I've used. Am I just building roads wrong or...?

Also diagonal bridges always result in miserably bad textures. Even when I try to use the puzzle pieces or skins they glitch out bad- randomly disappearing and whatnot.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Also the high rises above 10 levels in the rural zone looks completely out of place.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Seriously? The more you know I guess- it just looks so odd to me.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Make sure you have the 4gb patch installed as well as the processor affinity set to single core. Sadly this might not. Be your issue because it more often is related to stability than CTD on load, BUT it wouldn't hurt when you do get it working

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm trying to get a feel for realism in downtown cores for my new region. After looking at google maps of some large metropolitan centers, I noticed I'm sorely lacking in green belts and large parks, which is easy enough to fix and pay attention to, but I'm having trouble getting a realistic density and distribution down, as I usually zone far too densely.

I flew over Toronto the other day and I noticed the majority of medium density buildings were located along a few major roads. High density buildings were limited to 2 pockets around a downtown core, one centered around the CN tower and another a little ways away. What surprised me was many of the neighbourhoods, even the ones close to the downtown core of the largest Canadian city, were low density residential and commercial areas. It struck me how much I overuse not just high density buildings, which could easily be satisfisced by a few blocks even in the largest cities, but medium density buildings as well.

Anyone have tips or know of some decent guides for realistic downtowns that don't look like Manhattan? I feel like I wish I had more granular control between mid and high density- mid rises seem missing.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 20, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Doesn't seem like it worked; removed the custom resolution Launch Option, Switched to Software mode, entered a city, saved, exited to region, didn't change anything. I did all that over a couple of restarts though, so I might have missed something while doing it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Did you play in windowed mode and happen to adjust the window size somehow, like by moving it to the top of the screen in Windows 8 or something?

Because I used to get that exact problem When I did that- if the resolution was messed up in any way my plots wouldn't line up properly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You can also name streets with the same menu, and have the text overlayed on the street like it's Google Maps or something.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any mod or button that lets you rotate zones freely the same way you can with buildings? It's kind of a pain in the rear end sometimes when I have to delete a highway, avenue, or road because a zone is snapping to it instead of a street, even when I press alt. this is rather problematic when zoning downtown cores and crowded areas in particular.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pan Transforming posted:

You can hold down Shift or Ctrl to further change your zoning, in addition to Alt, but I couldn't tell you exactly how they interact because I basically mash buttons with them: Shift is by default the "hold this down to not automatically build streets!" button but if you use it with another it changes what the zone snaps to.
EDIT: You know how, if you let it automatically build streets, it always snaps to those streets? I think if you zone over any lowercase-s street it treats it like one of those streets, but if you hold Shift it goes "oh, not that, OK." But I couldn't tell you how it decides what to snap to.

Yeah, I'm familiar with shift-filling zones and auto drawing them to roads but that doesn't really solve the issue. If I lay down my skeleton networks and streets then try to zone them a lot of times I'll have intersections where the zone insists on snapping to an avenue or road when I want to to be facing the street it's on. The only solution I've seen ends up being to delete the adjacent roads and avenues, lay down my zone on the street, then redraw the main roads.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It sometimes takes me a couple minutes to load the game using Solid state drive even. I'm not surprised by long load times.

Add any mods in particular, or breach a threshold size, change folder structure, or anything of the sort? Start a new region?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can I take this to mean that I can install both Grand Fromage's mod pack alongside Tai's? Or was this a proposition to begin work at merging the two mega-mods and that they are incompatible side-by-side currently?

Just deciding to get back into this and would love The Ultimate Comprehensive AIO like these two packs together should be.

It shouldn't be too bad- just download Duplicate File Finder and run it on the mod folder after you combine them. Delete duplicates, and you should be good to go unless there are mods with specific conflicts- which you should easily be able to address on a case by case basis.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Rush Hour/SC4D is at least a functional and fun game on its own, but for me NAM and fundamentally required for a good experience. I'd download the old fashioned pack and be happy with it if you don't want to slip into dependency hell.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
RMIP for airports is about your best bet for realistically sized, good looking small and large airports. The dependencies really aren't too bad for that one

As for modular/decorative seaports, PEG is my go to modder.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For commercial, transit links to other communities (including rail, air, and sea) and total regional population matter most. And level 8 is the cap without CAM I believe.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Census repository and Camelot Counter will help if you're using mods- mousing over the different values will review additional detail about minimum requirements for population and whatnot.

Here are the numbers for the unmodded game.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Public transportation, demand, desirability, and services. Check your data maps.

Failing that, work on your neighbouring cities and create a bunch of connections. Skyscraper stages won't appear until after you surpass minimum residential/commercial populations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Zeether: Make sure to actually use Avenues and Roads properly. Don't just plop down a road for every street. Once that occurs, you should start seeing obvious places for a downtown core. If there's one thing I've noticed from newbie builders, they also tend to overzone higher density.

I'll use my city as an example:

Hamilton, Ontario

I actually really like this image because it's really easy to identify the stratification of the zoning densities and how the transportation system serrves the city.

A few things to note:
  • The downtown core is a short distance from the main highway
  • The downtown core exists near the meeting point of the railway, bus depot, and the large, high capacity one way streets (King/Main st)
  • Most of the roads are small side streets- the equivalent of SC4 streets
  • The larger capacity roads and avenues appear at the end of each 'block', every 6-8 roads
  • Most importantly, the downtown core of buildings higher than 10 stories constitutes only a few blocks
  • There are way more greenspaces than you'd expect/your average player builds. Wall-to-wall zoned grids are unrealistic.
  • Industry is placed a fairly comfortable distance away
  • Box stores and malls along major road ways in lower density areas on the outskirts.
  • Commercial parks, aside from large offices, are peppered throughout the city usually adjacent major transportation networks.

Even in a 500k+ city, the downtown core is a few city blocks with a handful of 20+ story buildings. The majority of buildings are still low density. Medium density buildings tend to occur near the intersections of major roads. High density skyscraper zones should be fed by all of your mass transit

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Rah! posted:

like 95% the city is an unbroken street grid with wall-to-wall construction. I'm pretty sure you can find large swathes of wall-to-wall gridded areas all over Canada and many other parts of the world too.

I get that- there's very little green space. But if you look at those buildings, many of them would still be included under 'medium' density in SC4, or maybe the lower end of high density. wall-to-wall high Density zoning might be appropriate for, like, Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Tusen Takk posted:

Here in Metro Detroit we have a grid with mile roads (12 Mile Rd, 13 Mile Rd, etc) every mile and roads intersecting every mile (for instance I work at Coolidge and 16 Mile Rd and live at Squirrel and 24 Mile Rd). This goes from the centre of Detroit (1 Mile road is called something else, I forget what) all the way to 45 Mile Rd.

So yeah grids are hugely common here and it makes finding your way around super easy.

I didn't mean to imply wall to wall gridding doesn't occur. Even the example I posted of Hamilton is largely a grid, save for a few streets. I just mean to say there's no 4km long stretches of nothing but skyscrapers on grids.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 16, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You can just quote his post, or copy the link from the little # sign in the bottom left of a post.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If you knock out the ismuth separating the Sea from that large lake you'd have a nice sheltered harbour right next to a bunch of usable, flatt-ish land. Seems like a natural spot for your major center.

The inlet to the right would have made a nice harbour zone too if not for the fairly steep gradient surrounding it, as well as the map edge.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So how many folks abuse the 'make historical' feature or just plain plop buildings?

I don't think that would be too unrealistic even if used- generally speaking demolitions have to be approved, correct?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Those were my thoughts.

Hmm... Random thought. Simtropolis joked about making a full world 1:1 replica region once. Now by my ballpark count that would constitute a region of over 10 000 x 10 000 large plots. Ignoring the limitations on RAM and hard drive size (which is probably more than any computer can reasonably handle, at over 100 000 000) is it even possible? The game engine doesn't seem to have an hard cap for its region size given some of the truly ridiculously huge regions I've encountered.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ugh who made these stupid 1 tile high rises for medium density residential? They're ruining my row houses and making my downtowns look like poo poo, and they're pretty unrealistic to boot. 10-15 story 16x16m buildings? Really?

Also, for those familiar to street add on mod... Is there any way to connect a street in one style to a street in another style, or will the skin always spread when they're connected?

As for interesting maps, here's one for North Bay, Ontario. If I wasn't currently working on a Fhuzo map I'd definitely use that one- nice harbour port potential with lots of flat land to work with but still interesting geography.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 21, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Well I'll be damned. I'm just annoyed there's no way to reliably zone row houses aside from manually deleting all these buildings. Low density isn't high enough, and with medium density they'll eventually progress to a larger building (unless I purge it). Those ultra high density thin towers should be relegated to high density.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Tai posted:

Are you looking for this kind of row house W2W (wall 2 wall) or more gaps between each house?

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2480

I have the Halifax boxes :D I'm from Atlantic Canada but currently live in Hamilton, Ontario. Inspired by that. So it's weird- the kind of image I have in mind for my region is Atlantic Canada but... Bigger? Think Metro Toronto but with a Maritime Atlantic feel. What if there was a major metropolitan city in that region?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 22, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Actually just no medium-high rises in the 1x1 medium tile density would suffice. My mods are flavoured enough to work out the rest. That's why I'm just deleting the ones that do exist.

Just ranting more about the fact I can't control zoning density on a finer level.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How is it you painted sand/rocks on top of tiles (Second image)? I didn't think that worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Mayor mode or terraforming mode? I tried creating a rocky pier in my city last night and got really frustrated because it absolutely would not let me paint rocks nearby/overlapping with my Marrast tiles.

• Locked thread