Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

*PUNCH* posted:

If you don't feel like wrestling with the mapmaker, a generous goon has created rendered and hosted this map. It is compatible with the Old-Fashioned pack due to the trees; your mileage may vary with other packs.

http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/Fhuzo.zip

:swoon:

This makes me want to play SC4 right now.

I got it on cd or dvd somewhere, but think it's probably best to get it on Steam to avoid hassle and problems. I recall playing the disc version some years ago and it was a bit pain on the rear end to get running properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

On the fence whether to pick this up or not, but I probably will if it's not too expensive.

Just picked up the Steam version, it was 10 eurobucks.

Are there any graphics packs I should get? I won't mod too much as it's been a long time since I played in the first place. Aside possible graphics mods gonna only get the bugfixes for worst things and that NAM 30 thing for now.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

odiv posted:

Thanks very much for this. Great OP! I just installed NAM by myself, but I think I'll replace it with the Old-Fashioned pack.

I installed NAM 30 and it keeps CTDing if I try to build something :iiam:

Might as well uninstall NAM and try that pack too as it looks nice.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Well, Old-fashioned pack is working fine for me. I just knew that getting crashes with a 21 MB mod gets fixed by downloading 1.7+ GB more mods :toot:

Torrent was pretty good too, got almost 3 MB/s from the main seed.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So yeah, I'm getting CTD every time I try to build a thing, sometimes I've managed to plop down a few buildings before a crash, but usually it's on the first building. This happens even on completely vanilla.

I've tried all the launch options I can find, and verified it's on one CPU. Tried setting all graphics to minimum and running the game in XP SP2 compatibility and admin mode. Any more ideas to try before I whine at Steam for refund?

I'm on 64 bit Win 7.

Samopsa posted:

Yup. Folder structure does not matter in the plugin folder, it just looks for the files in there.

No idea what's going on there :haw:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

*PUNCH* posted:

Hahaha which pack is that? I've got beef with SimGoober because he makes ugly stuff that's requisite for a lot of other stuff, but most of BSC is pretty allright (other than being gigantic neckbeards.)

You've tried rendering in software, right? You could also try using this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher It looks like it gives you more options. Are you using an ATI card out of curiosity? Reading the notes for that launcher, I get the impression SC4 doesn't play nicely on them.

Tried that launcher but no luck :saddowns:. The options were mainly same which I have already tried on the command line. I'm using Nvidia GTX 660 Ti so it's not an ATI issue.

That picture is from Killhour's spergpack.

e: ^ that guy

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Does anyone have an idea why a custom region ala Fhuzo from the OP can cause crashes?

Apparently my crashes came out of Fhuzo. If I start the game and begin building on that region somewhere, I get instant CTDs. However, if I load some stock region which came with the game, I can build on those just fine. And if I build on a stock region, afterwards I can load up Fhuzo and build there without a crash.

:whoptc:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Which of the plugin packs are you using? I rendered the Fhuzo region with the Old Fashioned 2.0 pack from *Punch*. Maybe some of the trees cause the crashes.

None right now, I reinstalled the game earlier while trying to solve my crashes. I had Old Fashioned pack at one point too and it was crashing with that.

You might have a point with trees being odd though, because when the region is zoomed out like when it is when you start up the game, I can see trees on the map. When I select an area and zoom in, there's not a single tree. Don't know what that means or how it's connected though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Schorsch posted:

I'll try to render and re-upload the region without trees in the next one or two days.

Or even better, without any plugins. That should work for all setups.

Cool, thanks. Hopefully it'll work.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I just went through this exactly, and yes, when I switched to the Old Fashioned collection from the OP, the region started working perfectly. No crashes while placing the first whatever.

Beautiful region, by the way.

Really? Okay, I might be remembering wrong then because I tested a few different packs. It's so hard to choose :saddowns:

Gonna check the non-plugin one when I get home, always good to have a version you can play with any plugin pack. Especially since I can't decide which one's the keeper. So far my pluginboner seems to have taken a slight turn towards Killhour's since it seemed to have less cheesy/cheaty stuff crowding the build menus than the other ones I tried.

Disgustipated posted:

God drat, I love this game but it's so crash happy playing it kind of sucks. I've done the launch options to run on 1 core at high priority and I'm using software rendering, and still constant random crashes. I can't see any pattern to it, it just all of a sudden shits the bed. :( The only mods I'm using are NAM, CAM, the Opera House fix, I-HT fix (datpacked), and Spaceport fix. Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Try -EH:off launch option. I have no idea whatsoever what it's supposed to do but according to random internet blather it can help with crashes.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

*PUNCH* posted:

The Old-Fashioned Pack

One thing you should know about this pack: the very beautiful HD terrain mods unfortunately require the game to be run in hardware mode; if hardware mode gives you trouble, delete the folder “terrainmods” and it should run in software with little trouble.

By the way, most folders under the Terrain Mods folder, including terrainmods, are duplicated under the Everything Else folder. :ssh:

Just happened to notice earlier when I tried to separate all the terrain mods from the rest of your pack earlier. (I got confused and gave up, for the record)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

KillHour, I wanna try that Alanuk map but it needs this terrain mod. If I recall correctly, your pack already had graphics things in it. Is it going to break everything if I drop that terrain mod in there? :ohdear:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I wanna make a backwoods agricultural town full of drunks, wifebeaters and cheating farmhands. I was reading wiki about residential zones and residents and it says:

quote:

R$ is a poor-wealth resident. These will primarily live in high-density buildings and prefer to work in industry and agriculture. As they have very low needs, these will be your staple people in the early game. It is desirable to connect these to mass transit as they prefer using buses and trains as their means of getting to work.

R$$ is a medium-wealth resident. These live in larger, low-density buildings and require basic education and health facilities to grow. These are very widespread and will work anywhere apart from low-wealth jobs, and will constitute the majority of your residents in the middle of the game.

R$$$ is a high-wealth resident. These live in large villas and big condos. They need health and education set up fully and at least some parks, so you will generally not see them until late into the game. They mostly work in the highest wealth jobs in the big offices and industrial enterprises.

Now I mostly want small houses and stuff, no enormous high density buildings. However regarding low density residential areas, if I make 1x1 housing slots then will those attract the poors? I'm guessing if I assign a low-density 9x9 or even 2x2 slots, they won't build things on those? Or maybe build and then start bitching at me.

e:

Daysvala posted:

For reference, the city I was talking about :

Can you take some close-up screenshots? I wanna see the misery you have inflicted on your pixels better. That'd be really swell.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 13, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Nothing like poverty as far as eye can see to every direction from your penthouse suite. Your city is a great inspiration to me.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'd also be interested in this, my school doesn't allow torrents to work through their network, but I'd like to mess around with the cooler stuff.

I think I got a Rapidgator account for another month or so. If someone wants me to plop a modpack there then sure, just tell me which one. I don't know how their download speeds are without a membership though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

That's a nightmare for me, driving into an unfamiliar city in Europe and finding myself confused and stuck on some indescribable gordian knot of roads while an angry British driver yells "gently caress off wanker" at me.

e: woops didn't mean to double post

Then you get all depressed and panic because of the wanker shouts and start driving right because oh god someone help me

Seriously, just look at that fucker. It's like a towering inferno of seething hatred, wanting to feast on the souls of everyone who isn't aware it's coming up.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I like roundabouts as much as the next guy but what kind of carless left-wing green sadist you gotta have as traffic engineer to cram five of them in the space of one.

KillHour posted:

I don't think so. Give it a shot - worst case, you just have to remove it (or go searching for the conflict).

I already moved on, now I got a boner for islands :haw:

Most of the really cool ones are in the SC4M format though and I'm still looking into making regions of them that don't look like poo poo. Did couple yesterday with SC4Mapper before going to bed but they ended up looking pretty funky with some colors messed up.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Does anyone have a working mirror for latest SC4Terraformer? Sc4devotion seems to be down due to bandwidth caps and I can only find mirrors to 1.0, while 1.1 is the latest I think.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

TehKeen posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what needs to be done to get the nice, plug-in'd Fhuzo map from the OP working with Grand Fromage's pack? It seems to crash whenever it prompts me to reconcile edges upon loading or should I try to skip it, whenever I build a neighbor connection (I'm sure other things would cause it too, but I was a little too disheartened to try.)

There was a non-plugin version of that map posted earlier in this thread, use that. You'll have to plant trees yourself but otherwise pretty much the same.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Note that those folders got duplicates in "Everything Else", you'll have to delete "terrainmods" etc from there too to get rid of them.

e:

A goon or two were asking for non-torrent mirrors of the modpacks in OP, and I just finished uploading them to rapidgator. The links probably work. Or not. Clicking on them is a journey full of mystery and adventure.

:frog:

The Old-Fashioned Pack
Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5

KillHour's Spergin' Gigapack

Grand Fromage's & GodlessCommie's pack
Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6

:frog:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 15, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

buh? :confused:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Can you mirror these somewhere I don't have to pay to download files > 500MB?

Oh, I didn't know that. I'll chunk the two bigger ones up, that'll do it. I'll update the links to the parts to that post later today.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Noreaus posted:

all three

All three megapacks are installed. The system goes on-line March 15th, 2013. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. SimCity4Net begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, March 18th. In a panic, forums user Noreaus tries to pull the plug.

SimCity4Net fights back.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

So I got the Steam version of Sim City 4 to scratch the itch and I got Grand Fromage's pack, but when I start a city, all my demand is hugely in the negatives and nothing seems to get built.

I assume this is due to the CAM bug, but I can't get dat packer to work on Windows 8 at all (it keeps claiming it's missing a dll that exists).

Any advice?

Do you have electricity?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

For people having stability issues, I seem to have a combination of stuff that works for me:

- Old Fashioned Pack
- Non- Plugin Fhuzo
- SC4 Launcher
- Deleted the shortcut modifications just in case

Still runs like molasses but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I had tons of crashes when starting out but those were all caused by a plugin rendered map. I've now played about 20 hours without any crashes with KillHour pack, non-plugin Fhuzo and the appropriate launching options in Steam.

Currently I got 3 suffering miserable agricultural cities. I was thinking of making a couple more and then maybe doing a big polluting dense/dirty industrial one. In my third city I noticed that I don't think my sims are miserable enough because they wouldn't move into 1-slot low-density residential areas, but ate up the two slotters like hotcakes. I'm going to cut out water if this keeps up. As my wise rolemodel, Irenicus, once said; "YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!" :mad:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 18, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

WMain00 posted:

I keep getting tons of crashes at the moment trying to play this, unfortunately. Installed the old-fashioned pack and I'm running in hardware mode, but it seems to be pretty unstable :( Don't know if there's anything I can do within my nvidia settings that might help.

What map are you playing with? Custom ones generated with plugins enabled have been unstable in this here thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I zone whatever I drat well please and if the sims won't build on it I'm hopping into a military helicopter and leveling a suburb. Suck it down peasants.

• Locked thread