Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Speaking of Fhuzo, do we know which terrain mods it's using specifically? Or just whatever is in the Old Fashioned Pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Keetron posted:

The download I took had the "No dependencies" label, or do you mean mods for terrain manipulation?

Whatever mods are changing the terrain color, the water color, and the rocks color.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

mayodreams posted:

I got the itch to play again and installed the steam version of deluxe. I did the newest NAM and the cpu settings along with XP SP3 combat mode and no dice on Windows 8.1. Software or hardware makes no difference. It will just crash to desktop when I try to place a road. *sigh*

I really wish they would do a remaster that will actually run on modern systems.

This is exactly what happens to me on my Win 7 machine.

Cities Skylines can't get here quick enough.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tai posted:

Are you running the Terrain mod to go with Fhuzo? If you aren't it will cause a CTD.

I had the terrain mod installed and was using Fhuzo and it was crashing.

I never even thought to try a different region. So dumb. Thanks mayodreams, maybe I can still play some sweet simcitys.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tai posted:

What is this zoom out bug that makes you CTD? Never experienced it once. SC4 runs fine for me minus load times at the start. Maybe it's a certain mod doing this or hardware mode?

I believe it's when you use the mousewheel to zoom in and out. It's been a bug for years and years, not specific to any particular hardware.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

100 new posts in like the last day, I was hoping SimCity 5 had been announced. :(

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

edit: oh god attack of the clones how do I fix

There's only one known cure! Download more buildings!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

One of these days Sim City 5 will finally come out… right guys?

I really hope that if they do, they will take their time with development and release something worthy of the franchise name.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

benzine posted:

I'd quote GF from his LP.

You can give a good sense by using google earth, of how is farmland in your area. I like to make rectangles divided by one tile and fill it with trees, or try to follow the terrain. Also make small agricultural towns.

Some old stuff,

This is how I do agriculture in my cities as well. Looks really nice.

Also trees along rivers.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I am curious why modders felt the need to add new trees to the game and why so many are garish too-large green monstrosities. What is the thought process there? "Hurr... trees are green... :downs:"

The trees that came with the game were just fine as decoration.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I play this game with a lot of mods but the modders themselves suck and reading their forum or their egocentric little copyright disclaimers just makes me want to see them beaten up by a bully.

Um, yes, could you please use this installer to install my mod, thereby adding it to your list of applications and a link to it in your start menu? Cool.

Oh wait, what does it do, you ask? It adds a .DAT file to your plugins directory.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

benzine posted:

why are the developers set on making an agent based game? SC4 worked fine and if you want to go deeper you can use some sort of Sim.

This is really the rub of it. Agents are the hot new thing and every developer out there wants to find an excuse to play with them. City sims are great because they are not-so-obvious ant farms. But that sort of shortsightedness for the sake of a trendy bit of programming experiment is killing our favorite gaming genre. It's a shame.

If you guys also didn't know, we have a Cities Skylines thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668767) that could use some participation, even if its just cold bitterness and the loss of so much potential. You can tell how deflated I think we all are by page 8, if you dont want to read the whole thread.

Game looks nice, better than SC2013, but is handicapped by some major issues.

Ninja edit: I seriously do hope that at some point EA/Maxis will announce a real "SimCity 5" and not totally gently caress it up.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

benzine posted:

Who knows what would have happened if EA never bought Maxis.

We would have had kind of a lovely 3D SimCity 3000 in the year 1998 that may or may not have killed Maxis through lack of sales.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So this is a thing.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

It always really bugged me that they chose to go with box mapping instead of planar mapping. They could have saved a LOT of rendering time with just two tris.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

look how many mods are being shat out and it's barely been a month. Get stoked.

It's been six days. :)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy poo poo it seems all the SC modders are all over this :eyepop:

I'm already taking a model I had been working on for SC4 a few years ago:

And prepping it to integrate into Skylines:

The shot above isn't very exciting, but what it shows is I was able to get the scale correct and actually import a mesh without any errors. At this point I'm going to clean up the original mesh for realtime use and I should be nearly ready to import (with a few more details added). Skylines is crazy easy to mod for and I'm glad to finally have a game that continues SimCity's real legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

are all mod-buildings only ploppable or can they grow like in SC4?

They can be either growable or ploppable. Growable buildings can only be a maximum of 4x4 tiles, however, so really large things like skyscrapers (unless they are really skinny) will always need to be ploppable. Unless someone comes out with a mod to change that, which may happen.

• Locked thread