Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Alright, so i went through the fantastic OP and got SC4 Steam deluxe properly set up with parameters, the Original Goon Gigapack downloaded, unpacked and installed.

Before starting i went and downloaded Fhuzo region. The only problem is that i can't get it to show up in the "Load Region" list despite the folder being right there in the same location as all the others. Is this a common problem where i missed a small but essential step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ofaloaf posted:

The extracted 'Fhuzo' folder ought to be sitting comfortably in the regions folder and look something like the below image:

Have you accidentally nested the region within a second folder, maybe?
Thanks, wasn't aware it had to be the "documents" region folder instead of the game directory one.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just played the first couple of hours using the Original Goon Gigapack. Crashes with Fuhzo, but works fine with the regular regions.

Ran into a couple of trivial bugs like firetrucks getting lost or riots being barely visible (so i had to click policecars around randomly for 5 minutes), but everything else looks awesome. The only way to tell modded buildings apart is by missing or weird descriptions.

Now if only i could make my city not suck horribly. :D

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Schorsch posted:

I'll try to render and re-upload the region without trees in the next one or two days.

Or even better, without any plugins. That should work for all setups.
Thanks, that'd be great and the perfect time for me to abandon my first-steps cities and switch regions!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sanzuo posted:

I don't seem to know how to use downloaded regions. The only instructions I could find said to ctrl + shift + alt + r and select the bitmap on the new region map, but this seems to be a lot more complicated than that.
You need to extract the folder into C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions where all the other crap is, the you should just be able to load it from the main menu.

If you put it in the regions folder in your game directory it doesn't work, but i guess that distinction is a minor detail no readme.txt bothers to mention.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Shibawanko posted:

By the way, if you press G you'll get rid of that grid on your land (it'll still appear around your cursor so you can work with it).
Hey, thanks, this is neat! Are there any other useful hidden features like that worth mentioning?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

VDay posted:

It depends. How ok would you be with your computer literally blowing up?
Depends, does he get to save beforehand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

WMain00 posted:

I'm running in hardware mode, but it seems to be pretty unstable :(
Any specific reason you're using hardware mode? It's known for being incredibly broken and crash-prone.

• Locked thread