Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Tai posted:

No, education is done by it's catchment area that the building has. If it's within the green circle then sims will receive education depending on what tier (elementary etc) and then it decides if the sim(s) will get 100% on offer. Over crowding reduces the effect of the building. School bus funding increases radius.

Download education (and other civic) mods because quite frankly, stock civic buildings suck balls for the radius as does the capacity.

What about the university? Does it dish out higher education only on its own square or does it have regionwide effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I have gone off the deep end, through the rabbit tunnels and emerged on the other side.

After fruitlessly looking around for a chainlink fence mod sans ground texture I decided to make one myself. Or well took some airport fence mod and modded it some more. Figured I might as well share it so you too can sperg around for hours on end boxing in your industrial estates and whatnots. Keep them drat teenagers and hooligans off your train tracks! :arghfist::v:

Here's the file. There's:

a single fence piece
a 3x long one
a 2x1 transit enabled security gate which connects to streets (but not roads I don't think?)
an inner corner
and an ugly-rear end diagonal.

They appear on the parks menu pretty high up.
Sperg beware! The barbed wire is angled such that the base lot is outside and "boxes in" the estate you want to surround. On that factory pic the fence sits on the grass square and the paved ground inside is other industrial filler stuff. So you'll usually want to line stuff with fences from the outside. Y'know, if such things matter to you.

Just drop it in your SimCity4/Plugins folder. The modding tool thing tells me you need BSC Mega Props - JES Vol01.dat which I guess is where I got the chainlink fence prop from. You probably already have it if you have any mods or a modpack installed. Also you'll probably want to delete the diagonal one, it's ugly as sin since I couldn't find a proper diagonal fence prop piece anywhere.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
That's some mayor mode ploppable rubbish. Pretty sure you can throw them on pretty much anything?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Mayor mode definitely. The lots underneath are industrial filler parks or maybe landmarks, not sure. I wonder if those Marrast tiles are in some peculiar plop resistant category? Or might be there's some slope angle allowance issues.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

:negative: For some reason when I try and save a large region that has been fairly well built-up (whether with population or farms or whatever else doesn't seem to matter) I get reliable crashes. I've tried to put the finishing touches to a region that's about 60% farms, 5% town, and the rest mountains and forests like three times but no dice. I don't understand because I'm on a real powerhouse of a machine. I know that SC4 works or not depending on what the haruspex said about the goat's liver today, but this is galling because if there's one crash I shouldn't be hitting, it's any kind of memory or RAM limitation.

Well, here's my little region that I was thoroughly enjoying until I hit this wall. Was going to actually try to coat it in farms before going back to build it up.

Have you run the ram patcher thing? I had a similar problem until I remembered to repatch my exe.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
This is probably a dumb question but.. If I end up having the same growable lots in two different datpacks from say combining modpacks does that affect how often the game decides to grow those lots or does it recognize that it's loading up the same files? Or could you maybe even willfully do something like that by copying the files a bunch of times over if you want to nudge the games choice of buildings in a certain direction for a session?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Ah thanks for the info, I guess I'll continue merging Tai's pack with my own unholy mess of modded Oldfashion, loading times be damned. I'm elbows deep in iLive reader ripping out the McDonald's sign from the parks menu. And all those ugly Jeronji mayor mode ploppables and tree parks from BSC_000.dat. Gotta keep them menus nice and tidy. It's like an especially :spergin: videogame about matching hex codes. A horribly time consuming and disturbingly enjoyable activity to zone out with. It's like sperg meditation.

I guess I gotta ask, any chance you have an easy way you could repack an alternative BSC_000.dat without any of the ploppables or parks Tai?

And as I continue descending deeper into sperg madness, is there an easy way to globally block or replace props? I keep getting these jarring out of place bright cold green trees growing in back yards and it looks like garbage. :(

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Oh you beautiful person, thank you a whole bunch!

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Subyng posted:

I too have some really ugly trees since upgrading to Tai's pack, and not only are they way greener than the ones in your screen they are also HUGE and cover up all the houses.

Thanks for the unpacked version Tai, goodbye load times.

Somewhere in a state of quantum flux there is a probabilistic future where an insane man might have taken a long weekend to replace all those trees in all those lots with some less irritating versions. Because insane men demand perfection from their pretty town screenshot painting program.

Probably not though. Maybe if it turns out there's only a reasonably small set of them that would need changing.

Have I stared too long into the abyss? Has it stared back?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I tinkered around a bit and realized I had an outdated version of those trees and the ones in Tai's pack are actually much more agreeable.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 28, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
^^^^
It's probably just a certain lot size & wealth range is underrepresented in game assets so it reuses the few it has. Probably throwing a park even just temporarily around the corner will have them redevelop a few of those lots?

benzine posted:

Exactly which file?

in Tai's datpack version it's BSC_001.dat that updates those trees.

Subyng posted:

You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

Also, I'm getting these weird trains:

Anyone (Tai, since it's your pack) recognize the problem mod?

Not getting those. Kinda looks like it's some kind of a streetside mod that's popping them on the side of the road there? Maybe see if moving 'JPN sidewalk mod Addon_000.dat' in or out of plugins changes anything. I think you might have to repave the street to see it in effect.

(Also those railcheckers are adorable.)

kinnas fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 28, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Subyng might be you've got some ancient Jeronij props. This wouldn't get rid of them but you could try and stash this in your plugin folder, either see if you have an older version of same file or doing the z_ in front of the filename to make it load last and see if they turn into slightly prettier versions of themselves.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1586

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29669-industrial-revolution-mod-cam-version/ have you taken a look at this?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
If you find yourself annoyed by having to constantly re click buttons enabled by menu management lots (the ones where you put down a small park and wait a month for a ton of canal or seawall or whatever lots to appear on the menus) - Holding down the right mouse button while plopping a piece leaves the lot still active so you don't have to swing back and forth back to the menu all the time.

(You gotta relase the right mouse button between plops though, can't just hold it down and spam left click.)

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I come from the depths of the various sim city sites bearing gifts - here I have the best new tree controllers which only use the new prettier trees! None of this is mayor mode plopped, all god mode megabrush fire-and-forget:

ARDEN Seasonal Tree Controllers.

It's got three themes in seperate plugin files there - coastal, riverside and inland. Be sure to only use one of them at a time. Unlike other tree controllers they're interchangeable though so you can line your coasts with the appropriate one, close the game and replace the controller plugin with the inland one to do your hills if you're feeling especially spergy about it.

Alternatively there's the
Cascadia Tree Controller

Which is quite similar in that it also exclusively uses the new better trees but does less with bushes and grass stuff and throws in more evegreens into your dense forests. Also it's a single one-solution-fits-all plugin so less messing about with moving files around in your plugins folder. Means you'll have to do your pretty seaside/riverside flora by hand though.

If you're upgrading to a new tree controller from one of the modpacks floating around they mostly used the old Pacific Northwest Tree Controller and if you want to continue playing your old region you'll need the Pacific Northwest MMP set in your plugin folders. Otherwise having trees from your old tree controller on your map will straight up crash your game to desktop because tree controllers are serious business. The pre-prepared Fhuzo region from the OP has also been treed up with the Pacific Northwest controller so you'll need this if you want to play that map with the new controllers.

A relatively painless way to upgrade your map from an old controller is to kill all your trees and mayor mode ploppables with the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-x 'flora off' cheat. Remember to use 'flora on' after planting your trees to get seasonal simulation back.

Also remember to do your planting around the 1st of september to have your seasons line up. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure by now I've probably spent more time messing around with the mods for this game than actually playing it. :v:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I'm sure there's some solid armchair psychology behind it about how setting up each mod is a tiny challenge and solving it is a dopamine charge. Installing mod after mod just keeps pressing that button awesome in your brain, making you giddy with achievement and building up that christmas gift expectation of all the cool new poo poo to play with.

Then the next day you wake up, the dopamine is gone and all you have left is shame and a deep hollow feeling inside. :geno:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
It has all been worth it. My screenshot painting game is perfect now. It almost looks like an oldschool isometric RPG and that's exactly how I want it.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
That's the Japanese Sidewalk Mod. You might want to get the NotDensen.zip from there aswell, it turns off the excessive powerlines while leaving up the decorative poles.

Unless you're british you'll probably want to combine it with its right hand drive mod

Beyond that if you don't like the trees or whatever other props it plomps around your streets and roads you can delete different folders in the zPlopFile folder. The mod maker has done some nice work, it's all very modular.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I've definitely noticed a tram-in-ave to subway piece somewhere. Not sure if it's part of NAM or some modpack mod.

Radiant City planning! What could possibly go wrong?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I'm not sure. They use HD assets which might mean hardware only? Maybe someone who knows the engine quirks better can confirm or deny.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Curvature of Earth posted:

Nam traffic tutorial

Thanks for the writeup! This should probably go into the second post OP.

Poizen Jam posted:

So anyone have problems with building props randomly disappearing? I'm not talking about brown boxes or mixxing assets, I'm talking just straight up missing. I keep encountering this on my most recent region- if I place a new building of the same type or destroy/rebuild it, it appears fine, but buildings or parts of buildings keep randomly vanishing.

You might be a victim of some mythical beast of the engine called the Prop Pox.

--

Alright more pics! I am going to have so much fun eminent domaining the gently caress out of all this farmland and tiny settlements when it's time to lay down some interstate highways.

Haven't actually had all that much time to play the game after this modding binge. After setting up drat menus for all of my ploppables :suicide:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

benzine posted:

kinnas, can you link the water tower? It looks really good.

Poizen Jam, shame about that. Care to post some pics?

That's the Vintage Water Tower

Tusen Takk posted:

What textures/terrain mods are you using? It's stunning!

edit: Thanks CoE! I'm going to have to try that out

I'm using the Aerden Tree Controller which has a ton of dependencies a lot of which are very good mayor mode ploppables. It's got a pdf with a list of all the dependencies with clickable links so getting it all is about as painless as you can expect from the sim city community.

For terrain I've got the LK Appalachian Terrain Mod with the Cape Cod beach file from this Gobias HD Beach Pack

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Poizen Jam, that's a pretty lovely thing to have happen :(

In disease prevention techniques if I do a "*CDK" search in my plugins folder and nothing shows up I should be safe?

Also is there any way to see what exactly is tanking demand for stuff? Some Census something something, does it say something to the effect "no more low wealth residential development because your taxes are too high" or "you've crossed the invisible barrier, there's too much industry, no more agriculture for you"? I'm loosing agricultural demand in some rural areas which is annoying if I wanna bulldoze and regrow some of the farms . I wonder if it's because there's a tiny town across the map that's got a tiny factory in there or if it's the fact that the whole region is pretty drat rural at the moment and the great sim nation really doesn't need farms anymore.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
So apparently CAM and SPAM are incompatible and while stuff mostly seems to work on a simulation level you'd get stuff like demand graphs would start showing you false information which would lead to abandonment issues and I think spam farms don't get to their later growth stages. Or was it the other way around? It's all very confusing. There's ghost whispers that there might be some tinkerish way to kinda patch them to work together by conforming spam growth stages into cam growth stages or some jargon like that but there's no fix files floating around in the ether of Sim City forums that I could find.

Can smart people confirm or deny or expand upon that? I got my setup from Oldfashioned/Tai's which I think just has both of them jammed in there. Does that mean the modpacks are sort of busted?

edit: ^^^ nice! Always good to see more pictures in the thread. Elevator access seaport? You could bulldoze an area south of the port, dig down to port elevation and have a road access tunnel go underneath a block of factories for that interwoven infrastructure look.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 5, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
People build some amazing stuff in this game. Kinda wish there was a way to easily export high resolution views of city tiles and regions and an online Dwarf Fortress Map Archive style database where you could look around at all zoom levels and read annotations.

Are there any good LPs of city building out there other than Grand Fromage's amazing series? All the city journals on simtropolis and places seem to be written in this sad-old-lonely-man-toys-are-my-friends roleplay style which are creepy to read and contain no useful or interesting information.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I think the superugly trees might happen because you have an older version of this file:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790

Seems like in 2012 a lot of the old trees got redone.

edit: Tusen Takk small towns all the way! Post more shots of tiny settlements!

kinnas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 15, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Adderlay old town area:

big link

and a closeup of the castle

big link

The entire old town is car and freight free, only bus and pedestrian traffic gets inside. That crosswalk in the top left corner is a blocker. Three of them gate off the old town at key entrances and there's some additional blockers thrown around inside the old town itself to stop the local jokers from driving to their around the corner tourist guide job.

Some old ruins. Locals grow fruits and stuff in there.

zoomed out view of the town of Adderlay:

bonus shot of the castle from another angle:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
People seem to be under the misconception that it's a game about making numbes go bigger and not a picture painting application :v:

That's a sweet looking park & canal, I appreciate the lack of skyscrapers.

edit:

My favourite place in any city I've ever built. I imagine it would be an amazing place to grow up as a child.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 26, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Curvature of Earth posted:

Other truths: cheetah speed at all times is the only way to play the game.

This makes me shudder and even the thought of it stresses me out. Play on pause, occasionally hit play and hope poo poo doesn't explode.

The scariest thing in this game is running out of money and having to sit there in cheetah speed waiting for taxes to come in. Scarier than Amnesia.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Loving those shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I don't think it's so much about curves even. If only SC4 accurately knew which roads are diagonal or fractionally angled and only grew lots with those specific angles, that would pretty much solve the roads issue.
Curves are nice and all but tend to look goofy unless they're following coastlines or valleys.

Also wish it had ever so slightly prettier signs for labeling your districts and streets.

• Locked thread