Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

benzine posted:

If I remember correctly GF, you once wanted to remove the wind power plant grass. And for the rest I also don't like it but there is a fix.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29168-wind-power-plant-no-grass-mod/

Thank you! That's always annoyed me to no end.

Grand Fromage's LP got me back in the game. I realised that I absolutely loved playing it for about two days, but then got burned out because everything looked the same. I started with the OldFashioned pack but removed it because it made the game crash too frequently. Instead I'm now opting to add a mod here and there when I need one or feel like it, which so far turned out great. I've got NAM, SPAM, a couple of PEG's work which is great because there's no hassle with dependencies and a few other bits and pieces and I'm having a ton of fun.

I've only just started to develop a region so I've only got a couple of small towns and one small city with some industry so far, but it's getting along quite nicely. I'll post some pictures later today when I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As promised, here are some pictures of my region. As I said, I just started out, I'm a total noob and I don't have many plugins. I took the no plugins Fhuzo region and renamed it World and just started building:

My first city was Waterfront, which I'm probably not going to change much for the time being. I'm pretty satisfied with it as a small town based on agriculture and industry from the larger city to the south:

Here it is, in all its glory. There's a connection to Pebble by road and rail going south and a rail east to Railtown and Cradle.

There are farmlands to the north. I just noticed I have to replace the windmills with the no texture ones I downloaded today.

To the west are the suburbs where people live quite happily, away from everything, really.

Here's the city center. I'm guessing that because I've developed the neighboring regions since I last played there will be quite a bit more flats once I let it run for a little bit:

Next up is Railtown to the east. I´ll probably add some agriculture but I´ll leave it mostly as is until I feel like beautifying it a bit. It´s mostly there because I didn't want to have an empty city just to lay some rail.

Which leads to Cradle, the latest addition. I'm going to make this a dirty city. This and Pebble are both too square for my liking, but that'll probably change once I start developing them more.

The central hub of town, from which goods and people probably can't wait to depart this little shithole.

The city.

As you can see I've started experimenting a bit with some beautification, and I quite like it. I'll probably end up downloading tons of mods and just tinkering away with them.

Boring industrial area.

And now for the biggest city so far, Pebble, which I'm totally not satisfied with and might even just start over or redevelop drastically.

Suburbs to the north:

Residential area:

Industrial area:

Unobtrusive, experimental waste management at the literal edge of the world:

That's it. That's my work these last two or so days. I'm sure there's tons of things I could do better, tons of mods I should get and I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I feel that I'm definitely on the right track to developing World to a fully functional, bustling region.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Poor child of summer. You can understand this intellectually, but until you are sucked in yourself...

Anyway you and Rah! both have neat regions and it's making me want to play SC4 again!

Haha, yeah, I already kind of know what you mean. I spend an hour or so browsing and downloading random mods that seemed neat and didn't require too many dependencies and then started a new city away from the others too see what I could do with them. The goal is to create a self sufficient city inspired by a place like Naarden, although bigger:

Meet Evergreen.

As you can see, I've embraced the blocks. I started out more 'realistic' but gave up on that once I started using the canals and realised I can make it really pretty. It's not entirely symmetrical yet, but I do plan on making it a more perfect cross shape. I want to surround it with farmland until I can support high tech industry, at which point I'll add that and hopefully get a genuinely pretty and impressive city. I can already tell that traffic is going to be a problem with this setup, but I'm looking forward to solving those issues.

Here's the windfarm and a beginning of an irrigation system. I want to extend that to cover all the farms and I'll probably look up some real life photos to make it look realistic.

This is the most well developed area. You can see that this is the oldest part of town. Those canals aren't free of cost so I have to get some proper income first. The addition of services to my city delayed further development of the canals a bit, but I'm pretty close to returning to them.

Here is what I think will develop into downtown proper. I'll be placing the services here, it's the exact center of the city, and I think it will develop quite nicely.

Setting a goal for yourself and building towards something makes the game a lot more fun.
So that's basically it, right now, but I have high hopes for this city. I'll keep you guys updated.

benzine posted:

Taeke, some mod suggestions: I've always found the night too bright for my taste so I use, simfox's mod that darkens the night
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/

If you don't like the water color, you can also change it, I use:
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27272-shk-brigantine-20/

If you're a rail fan, you can also add catenaries and change the skin of the locomotives.

So far looking good, liked the small HT industrial park.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably add more railway stuff at a later date, but I've got some nice stations now which I'm satisfied with for now. I don't mind the night's brightness and I might change the water some other time but I dislike the way it messes up the region view, or at least, the way the water mod in the OldFashioned pack did.

Speaking of Cradle's industrial park, the city went through quite some growth and is now officially the largest city in the region with a whopping 33k inhabitants!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's why I decided to just drop the pack altogether, get NAM, SPAM (because agriculture is awesome) most of the Pegasus things because they don't have any dependencies and seem to be very stable and just go from there. Whenever I add something new, I'm in control of what dependencies it needs and whether or not to fix the issue or just delete it because gently caress, I'm not going to spend an hour figuring out how to get something to run properly when all it adds is a a single building I don't care too much for anyway.

Seriously, for new players like me, my advices is to get the no plugins version of Fhuzo if you want a good region to play in, get NAM and SPAM and start playing. When you feel the need for a certain thing, say new parks, train stations or whatever, add them piece by piece as you go along. Downloading a mod pack and figuring out why it doesn't work is more trouble than it's worth, especially when half the fun is find, downloading and implementing the things that your city/region needs. It makes it a more personal endeavor, so to say. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been very, very busy with uni and a new job so I haven't been able to play a lot, but I should be able to post an update today or tomorrow.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anyone have a link to a mod that extends the area of influence of my services? I'd like to be able to have one elementary school suffice when I have a spread out village/city.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the first things I do when I start a game is turn off those annoying car icons that want you to click them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rah! posted:

How do you do this? I've been playing this game for years, always wanted to do that, and never knew it was possible. :downs:

Don't worry, I only figured it out a year or so ago too after I got fed up and googled, hoping that maybe there was a mod or something to turn them off. Turned out it was an option hidden away for some reason.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Which reminds me of how much I hate those jagged edges on diagonal roads when there's something build on the other side. I wish they'd only appear on one side, or not at all when they're connected to a farm.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

I just have yet to muster up the willpower to knock down massive amounts of low-medium density CO, wait for it to fill at least partially with CS, mark the CS historical, and repeat a few times.

This is how I build a lot of my neighbourhoods, especially residential, when I want them all to be the same or fit together.

This, for example, is a work in progress:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tai posted:

What is the mod supposed to do? It might of been shelved if someone brought a better one out.

Regarding my mod pack, I'm not sure why you get an network error. It might be an error in the network hurr. Seriously, no idea though. I plan on adding my current mod pack to replace the one linked as it's been cleaned up a bit along with a few added mods. Cool poo poo like it auto adds vanity stuff to transits depending on the wealth/density a zone is. Fancy street lights for high wealth residential or knocked over bins for slums for example. It's a pretty sexy mod actually and adds a great touch.

Ooooh, sounds awesome. I just got a new hard drive I've been meaning to fill up with awesome stuff like this, for which I didn't have the space before.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Have been doing that for years. The voodoo that runs this game is off, I need to sacrifice a chicken or something.

Those video cards are really, really old, aren't they? Maybe it's time for an upgrade?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

So I looked at the exception dump and it was a RAM issue, patched it with the 4GB patcher thingo and it worked like a charm!! :D Thanks for all the help and support mate, deeply appreciated.

Now go build some cities and post some pretty pictures!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's loving gorgeous.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That button with the two people? The third one you never use? There's an option to hide those car thingies in the game under there.

(Seriously, finding that out was such a relief)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Then there's things like a nice fire (London) or bombing (Rotterdam) that offer the opportunity for an otherwise infeasible redesign. You still keep a lot of the original layout but at least you can update )widen' the streets to accommodate modern traffic and stuff.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're two completely different games for me. SC4 is more about making pretty, realistic looking cities, a bonsai garden as you guys often say, while Skylines (so far) is more of an actual game (as in progressing through a set of challenges and stuff) and less of a simulation, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Subyng posted:

The first part of your sentence and the second part seem to contradict. SC4 isn't really a simulation, more of a sandbox, while Cities Skyline requires you to work with the rules of the simulation to produce a certain result (say for example, traffic).

No, you're right, I completely messed that sentence up. In my defense, today's been a long day (including my first proper 3-hour long opera, Porgy & Bess, which I quite enjoyed) so my sentence creating capacity is less than optimal. Still got the point across, I guess. They're both games, but in SC4 the challenge is in making things pretty without having to worry too much about getting traffic to work and stuff, while in Skylines the challenge isn't so much getting things to be pretty but working with what you've got to achieve a goal, like a certain population. The latter wasn't much of a challenge anymore in SC4 so I started restricting myself in certain ways and try to make things as natural and pretty (as opposed to efficient) as possible, and now I can do away with the whole challenge aspect of that and just focus on the art.

• Locked thread