Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Nalk posted:

Now, when playing my city which has reached a 600k+ pop. there seems to be a high chance of CTD every time I try to save my game. I'm using NAM 31 and the goon gigapack.

Is this probably an issue stemming from the mods or is there a known fix?

NAM 31 is a bit buggy and is probably causing the crashes. Try using NAM 30 for now.

El Diabolico posted:

Question:

How does one clean out the crusty old mods from a previous mod pack?

You can just delete everything in the plugins folder, but older cities you made that use those old plugins will be missing buildings/textures/whatever else was deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Fewd posted:

Now I mostly want small houses and stuff, no enormous high density buildings. However regarding low density residential areas, if I make 1x1 housing slots then will those attract the poors? I'm guessing if I assign a low-density 9x9 or even 2x2 slots, they won't build things on those? Or maybe build and then start bitching at me.

Correct, zoning low density will only allow houses to be built, and if you want to keep them poor then don't add services/parks etc. The default sizes for small houses in the game are 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 1x3, I believe. The largest growables included with the game are 4x4, any larger plot sizes will grow if you have downloaded buildings that grow on those sizes.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Will my citizens hate me if I eminent domain their houses to build avenues and highways?

No. In fact it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll be tearing stuff up and putting in new things at some point during the game, if not frequently. Sims won't mind, don't loose any sleep over it.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

n0n0 posted:

Two questions:

If I install the Gigapack on top of my newer copy of NAM, will poo poo get hosed up?

Will the Gigapack buildings automatically start populating my cities that are already in progress, or new cities only?

poo poo (or at least NAM's poo poo) may get hosed up since there's an older copy of NAM included in the gigapack. Best not to run two different copies of any mods, that tends to lead to problems.

New buildings you install will start being built if the conditions are right in all cities, new or old, once you start playing them.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Abner Assington posted:

I bought SC4 Deluxe off Amazon on the cheap (had a gift card I wasn't using otherwise) and activated on Origin to download (but running through Steam--gently caress Origin). Long story short, is this version up-to-date for the OldFashioned pack? The links I find for patches are all 509'd and I can't get any (if I indeed need them).

Since it's a digital version it should be all patched and ready to go, just add any mods you want.

Death Himself posted:

Also is the gigapack the way to go? I have never actually played a modded version before.

Use the Old Fashioned Pack, it's more up to date, though the terrain mods might not work well depending on your game settings.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Masa posted:

It's a bug that has something to do with their huge lot size. That's also why universities and country clubs have lots of crime.

And to help that, here's a police station that will work especially well against the giant lot crime bug.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Inverness posted:

As someone new to SC4, what size cities (by population) should I aim for when starting a new region?

I wish I hadn't started with New York, since its all flat. :smith:

Just start building. There are no goals.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

jellycat posted:

What's the penalty for having train stations over capacity? I've got one at over 200% right now and I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it.

Due to the way the game/NAM works, there is no penalty until the station reaches 400% capacity, at which point it stops working.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010
NAM version 31.1 has been released, which fixes all of the crashing issues and bigs from the original version 31 release. Now you can enjoy getting all the NAM addons and custom stations all in one download. :)

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Mice Everywhere posted:

I think the dependencies.dat files included in the goon gigapack are broken or something, because having them in my plugin folder caused the game to hang at a black screen when I tried running it. I deleted them and got the dependency compilation pack instead and now it seems to work fine. This won't cause any problems with the other mods will it?

I (the person who made the dependency compilation) am not sure of what actual dependencies are in the old gigapack's dependency file, so I can't say for sure, but replacing it won't effect other mods. If no brown boxes or other graphic errors appear on buildings, then you're all set. I'd personally stay away from the gigapack though, since it's quite outdated.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

NAM and other mods have pedestrian tiles, but as I recall (I might be off though) it's problematic to build zones next to them since the game doesn't link them up to the road network properly, so you can only build ploppable lots. This in turn makes it really hard or impossible to build residential stuff, since these cannot be easily plopped - the only way I know is to wait for a building of the appropriate size to grow naturally and then plopping the residential building you want on top of that - it's extremely difficult to build a completely pedestrian only city, though a European-style pedestrian downtown with shopping streets is feasible.

Close, but not quite. The pedestrian tiles allow commercial and industrial zones to grow facing them, but not residential at all, due to some quirk in the game's coding. Also, the pedestrian lots must be "activated" by having a mass transit station connecting them to the road network, otherwise they won't be used. So, for example, a bus station next to/touching, or replacing, the pedestrian tile that touches a road. There's a better explanation (with diagrams) in the NAM's documentation. So yes, it's mostly for older-style downtowns.

What you mentioned about the trick with residential lots applies to plopping residential buildings (due to he same aforementioned quirk), but doesn't have anything to do with the pedestrian tiles.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tai posted:

As far as the on street bus station, yes it is RTMT. The only downside to it, is that its not considered a road connecter for painted zones for 1x1,1x2 and 1x3 tiles with the 1x being where it would touch the road.

Actually, as long as a street/road touches the lot in some way traffic can enter/leave the lot, even if the arrow on the lot points at a transit-enabled lot. I usually put the RTMT station on a road tile right next to an intersection, so any 1x2 lots can access the road parallel to them, and they'll develop just fine.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm a big dummy and didn't realise how many bloody dependancies there are. Do you have to put them all in the same folder as the lot files or can I stick them in a folder called Dependancies so I can be more organised?

You can put downloads in whatever folders you want to, to keep things organized. The only exceptions are things that install to folders with names that starts with something along the lines of "Z__", those things have those names because they need to load last (at the very least I know NAM does this).

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay, so CAM says that if you use the Crime Doesn't Pay Mod have it load after CAM... can I add x__ before CDP so it does or will that gently caress everything

That should be fine.

Tai posted:

Probably could do with a goon mega pack of just dependency files for people to start their own mod packs if they'd rather tinker with all of that.

I made something like that a while ago with the most common dependencies all in one download; it's linked in the OP but I'll link it here again: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n66339svskduc6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Can anyone recommend a good seawall set, btw?

Marrast's set is a classic. For something more industrial/realistic, nbvc's set is great and has two addon sets. He also has a marina set that includes seawalls in it as well.

Pegasus has a few such sets with boardwalks and such, but I know at least one of the sets can lead to prop pox.

There's a few high quality ones on sc4devotion, but like almost every file on there, they have tons of dependencies.

• Locked thread