Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is basically the ideal netbook game. Here's to hoping that my ISP decides to let one of the mod pack torrents go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a way to disable auto filling zones? I swear to god if I'm trying to place some residential zoning at a small size, and then the game randomly fills up like a 30 block radius I am going to kill myself.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So I did this wall, and it took me I don't even know how long. Are plopable sea walls really just incredibly time consuming or am I incompetent?

Also it's kind of crazy that a 10 year old game can look this good with little to no real effort on my part to doll it up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nutranurse posted:

So Sim City 4 is running slow like hell for whatever reason. I'm using that Fhuzo region and whenever I go into a region tile to build up a city the game runs, but at a kind of stuttery pace. I upped the resolution to my native one (1680x1050), would it help to bring it down?

This is so weird, because my computer's a good computer. I play most modern games at their super-ultra-max settings, but Sim City 4 refuses to play ball.

Set your game to exclusively run with 1 core and have high CPU affinity. That's all you can do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a reason that after a certain point my city stops having any demand for more jobs, but a never ending demand for more residential zoning? I have a population of about 20k, and around half that many potential jobs but people keep wanting to move in.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't have any neighboring cities. Just farms and like a 8x8 blob of factories.

e: Oh, okay. The neighbor city I just made now has an incredibly high demand for industrial jobs, but there's no demand in the original city. :psyduck:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 10, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I actually didn't hit a demand cap. Earlier I had replaced a road with an avenue, which bordered my city's garbage dump, which removed the adjacency. I added a road branching off and now everyone and their mom wants some good old fashioned dirty industry. I guess my Sims were just living off of the trash that was piling up in the streets or something.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait, there are parking lots in this game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It sucks being in that awkward phase between low and medium density. It's like city puberty. I swear to god, though, all these rich sims need to go. About 1000 of them are commuting to a single loving building, which is murdering my road system because none of them will take the bus.

Schorsch posted:

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

How are you taking region screenshots like that?

Sanzuo posted:

I don't seem to know how to use downloaded regions. The only instructions I could find said to ctrl + shift + alt + r and select the bitmap on the new region map, but this seems to be a lot more complicated than that.

Use tools like SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer instead of loading it through the game, which takes forever and doesn't work most of the time. The region will come out with funky colored terrain and you'll have to load up and save every city tile if you want them to match your terrain. Also add trees manually, I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

Huh, I don't recall loading a heightmap directly into the game not working, although I haven't done it that many times either.
What takes time/can "break" when doing it is actually the game loading all the city tiles and rendering previews of them. That, combined with the problem where the game just produces a flat field for region tile if you switch away from it while it's saving means that you have to basically leave the game focused and screensaver etc. disabled for possibly hours when loading in a heightmap like that.

It takes me like a minute to render a region using those tools I listed. On the other hand they don't come rendered in game properly, but that isn't such a big deal to me since I like going through all of the tiles and adding in trees to make it ~immersive~.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Starhawk posted:

Can I ask what sea walls those are in the picture? Are they in Punch's pack?

They're in the Old-Fashioned pack.

Wow, it makes city borders look really weird and obvious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nutranurse posted:

What region is that. I want it now.

Grand Fromage posted:

Seconded, that's a beautiful region.

It's a version of Alanuk, which I missed around in with SC4terraformer because the region absolutely refused to import right.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I just went back to give this game a chance (played once or twice, never more than an hour or two) after avoiding SC5 and was doing all right until I saw this thread and the Fhuzo region linked on the OP :swoon:

Now I HAVE to fill that chunk of land. Except attempting to build/zone/do-anything in it causes the game to crash. In the default/region I'm playing, everything is working fine. I don't have any mods installed since I'm just trying to get a feel for the gameplay first. Help?

You should really be using mods anyways, as for the most part they're just aesthetic changes or fixes for broken systems.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A small excerpt of what is quickly becoming the most hilarious part of my city.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have buildings being abandoned due to commute times, and they're adjacent to bus stops, which are being used to like 15% of their current capacity. Is there a way to make mass transit more attractive to the population? They sure as gently caress love taking the train, but for some reason people in apartment buildings are allergic to buses.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 13, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, I think I might have to just upgrade to subways. Either their destinations are so far away that they don't want to bother with the bus, or they're secretly mostly rich and just refuse to use it. It seems a little silly to be making underground trains for a city of 70,000, but whatever.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I provide my entire city with basic services like education, utilities, healthcare, and public mass transit, ordinances out the rear end, and I still turn a profit and am sitting on an income of a couple thousand spacebucks per month and currently have more money than I know what to do with. :smug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, I used to do that back in the early days, grid optimizations and all. Totally a legitimate way to play if that's your thing, but I think I only really started loving SC4 when I learned to throw efficiency to the wind and aim for something more organic. GrandFromage's LP offers a fantastic look at this kind of gameplay.

This is really the best way to play. I don't really treat Sim City as a game anymore, it's really just a gigantic toy for making neat model cities in. I try a lot to go away from the grid whenever it makes sense, or have a city be nothing but square blocks if I feel like it makes sense for what I'm doing. Like, in my current city that I'm playing I try to make the areas near hills and water sources conform to the terrain instead of just keeping with the grids, but when it comes to farmland I keep with the whole endless extent of grids stretching on forever.

It makes the game much more aesthetically pleasing and satisfying when you're making something that looks good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gangringo posted:

I followed the directions in the OP, but every time I try to start the game it says it's failed to initialize the video driver. It was fine before I started messing with the command line options.

This is my start string:

"C:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r2560x1440x32 -f -CPUcount:1 -CPUpriority:high -intro:off

Try taking off the custom resolution option, it's given me some grief in the past.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think Pelham is coming along well despite basically being a complete fiasco of city planning.

The random trailers in the middle of Pelham's downtown are really what makes it.

Its suburbs are coming along quite nicely, eating into the preexisting farmland, and may eventually spread out into a new map. There are just so many tiny little houses.

Death awaits you.

e: I just realized I have missed an opportunity to have four roundabouts around a larger roundabout. I need to fix this.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 14, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eventually the sim will realize that there are, in fact, roads connected and they will start to develop. This has been happening to me a lot and its kind of baffling but oh well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why did nobody tell me that there are awesome hedgerow trees in this pack?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm using the old fashioned park. Slowly and steadily I am replacing all of the other terrible lot trees with the awesome god mode ones. Now my farms and small town areas are gonna look rad as hell.

Although sometimes the trees grow in the road, which is a bit annoying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bobthedinosaur posted:

Do any of the mods in the pack add liquor stores, strip clubs, head shops, and pawn shops? I'd like to create realistic slums.

Giggily posted:

A small excerpt of what is quickly becoming the most hilarious part of my city.

These are all liquor stores.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zone lots individually, not by dragging the box if you want to get control over how big your lots end up being.

All the houses here were zoned individually. Sometimes some buildings will hijack multiple lots, but for the most part buildings will stay contained to what you've zoned them as.

e: to be fair, though, I did just drag a row of 1x1 lots for a lot of these. Once you start paying attention to what you're putting down controlling what is built where gets a lot easier.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 16, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My Sims refuse to drive a few blocks to get to work, but they're fine with getting on the subway, riding that half way across town to the train station, riding the train through an entire large city tile, and then walking from the station half a mile to get to a farm.

Well, whatever works I suppose.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Luigi Thirty posted:

Megacity 1 has 350,000 residents and an off-scale demand for R$ but negative demand for R$$ and R$$$. I've also got an off-scale demand for CO-$$$ and negative demand for everything else commercial. How can I raise my R$$ and R$$$ demand?

Build schools, zone larger lots, make parks, I think.

Also I solved my issues the other day. One of my avenues had no through streets, so about 30000 Sims had to use one intersection. :downs:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man, I'm having a really weird issue where it seems like my factories/farms don't have any employees as far as the traffic sim is concerned, and instead just produce magic freight trucks.

heladocasero posted:

How do I set up a neighbour deal? I've made linking water pipes and power lines and so on but I can't see any way to get it started, or clicking somewhere in the budgets..

I think you handle that under the budget menu.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Placing a subway station sets the game to the zones data view instead of the underground mode. The underground mode takes about 5 seconds to load, the zones data view one takes several minutes at the least.

Why do you do this to me, SC4? :smithicide:

e: oh, apparently Datpacking the plugin folder fixes this problem. Welp.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 21, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just gonna go ahead and put this out there. I Datpacked the OldFashioned folder, and it broke a few lots in the process.

On the other hand my cities load and save in moments and I can switch between data views in seconds. Totally worth it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

benzine posted:

Lucky you, I tried to datpacked my plugins and it is an instant CTD, at least the plugins are datpacked v:shobon:v

Don't pack NAM, and it may take several tries to get it working. But oh man is the performance better.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For some reason I have 10000 Sims commuting to a city with nothing in it. It has less jobs than residents, but the commuters just flock to it like moths to a lantern.

e: interesting, none of these commuters are visible with the transportation route tool. What the gently caress?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 21, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Complete noob problem:

I'm starting a city, and after a pop of about 1000 I cannot get the demand for Agriculture down at all. I've tried it both with and without the SPAM addon, and I can cover half the drat city with farms and nothing seems to help. What am I doing wrong?

You will always have agriculture demand with SPAM. If you build schools people stop wanting farms as much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jadebullet posted:

I forgot how enjoyable this game is. I have spent the last couple of hours working on terraforming my region and listening to the SC3K soundtrack. I haven't even started any cities yet, but I am still having a blast. Still, I wish that you could adjust the terraforming brush size other than zooming in and out.

That being said, I am probably being way too spergy about my region building. My current project while I take a break from mountain making, since that is a pain in the rear end, is making a series of smaller rivers and streams to feed into my larger river.

The secret is to just download a height map of an actual part of the world ans just skip the terraforming process.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like the random, lone trailer house that is convinced that it has no road connection.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elukka posted:

Going by googling the term, basically, but for some reason they run parallel to a not at all busy 2-lane road with a 50 kph speed limit.

I also have roads like that around where I live. I didn't even know it was terribly unusual. It's hilariously frustrating/retarded, so I enjoy subjecting my Sims to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inverness posted:

As someone new to SC4, what size cities (by population) should I aim for when starting a new region?

I wish I hadn't started with New York, since its all flat. :smith:

Whatever you want, really. I have a bunch of 10-20 thousand farming communities, one with 50 thousand and another with 200 thousand. I think you have to reach a certain population threshold for high density, but I'm almost certain you can hit that with a single city tile.

• Locked thread