Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm pretty sure the RHW stuff in NAM actually has a much higher capacity than the basic highways, so there may be an actual reason to make use of them.

They also look waaaay more authentic, at least within a US-style city setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I love this zen garden for urban simulation, but I really hoped for a city sim that used resources like SC2013 was supposed to*: The region maps have resources, the placement of which directly influences land value and utilization as well as directly determining the cost of terraforming. If there could have been an added era system that determined what technology you have available, you have a whole new strategy game on your hands. Probably closer to the Anno series in some sense, but I've not played any of those games so I cannot say. Think back to what Sim City and SC2k had with the different starting times, but more advanced/in-depth.

To dream, I guess. In the meantime SC4 remains satisfying.

*-in my head

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Is it just giving you the "stopped working" dialog right as you launch it? I noticed this problem myself on Windows 7 64-bit when I installed NAM 31.2. The only way I was able to fix it was by restoring the backup exe that it thankfully produced for me. I'm afraid I can't really offer a better solution, but my previous exe works fine with the DBE.

Now if I could only figure out why my Fhuzo region wants to crash whenever I try to reconcile certain tiles or terraform others. :negative:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Like much else in Sim City 4 modding :iiam:

When the hell is Will Wright going to come out of the woodwork and unveil his new city simulation project for crowdfunding? I'm certain he must be thinking about it. I know I wouldn't be able to control my wallet if he did.

Does he even still like city simulators or did he completely abdicate when he birthed The Sims? Does anyone even know?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I had always sorta envisioned a kind of rotating grid system centered around your mouse. Its a bit hard to describe, but the box of grid squares is focused on your pointer and can be rotated around that point. It would take a fair bit of doing to make it all mesh, but it would provide a compromise between grid and freeform building that allows more predictable layouts for the engine to choose buildings for. I recall that the 2013 devs bitched about how hard freeform is and that's why they tied everything to roads. But they suck, so....:shrug:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The crash thing is if you hover a puzzle piece over a transit-enabled building, like a rail station. Build all your puzzle parts first, then add the stations after and it shouldn't crash. And save frequently while doing any puzzle piece stuff.

Learning this little detail basically transformed my SC4 playing. I never could figure out what I was doing to make the game crash until hearing about it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

So that is the Japanese island chain then? I don't recognize it well enough :eng99:

If it's going to be fantasy Japan, it'd better have a Neo-Tokyo. No future fantasy Japan is complete without Neo-Tokyo.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Acer Pilot posted:

I just started playing this again and I forgot about how it can randomly crash on Windows Vista/7/8 :smith:.

Welp. There goes $40,000 worth of improvements.

Anything in specific that causes the game to crash? I was just zoning and looking at my city.

The one cause of crashing that I discovered which effectively transformed the experience is that mousing over a transit enable lot when trying to place a puzzle piece of any type will CTD. That's right, I said 'mousing over.' Just have a puzzle piece on your cursor, touch a transit enabled lot and you'll quickly be treated to a nice view of your desktop.

It also might just take a poo poo for no discernible reason, but if you learn to avoid the above you'll probably experience a lot fewer crashes.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Bell_ posted:

Haha, awesome. And the screenshots you guys provided are just gorgeous :swoon:

I'll have a lot to learn! The last one I played was Sim City 2000, a long time ago.

You pretty much know most of what you need to know to play Sim City 4 already. It's a bit more involved than 2000, but it's still sim city and the same basic tenets of gameplay still apply.

What you'll probably learn, though, is that Sim City 4 tends to be a bit more of a zen garden city sculptor than a challenging simulation. I mean, you can still play it with all the sim city gameplay conceits and have a good time, but if you start to get into adding lots and different mods and so forth, you'll find it becomes absurdly easy to make a profitable city without a ton of effort. And so, many people find this to be more of an interactive growing model kit than anything else.

Any way is a good way to play, just make sure that you install NAM, regardless of how you want to. The game just doesn't behave as well without it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah it's all setup in "optimal" fashion. It's just SC 4 being SC 4 really. Sometimes it just likes to decide that it's pants making GBS threads time.

Edit: I double checked and turns out I was running on multiple cores. Back in business for now! I'll post some updates later.

Another crash cause that's often overlooked: Don't mouse over a transit enabled lot with a puzzle piece on your cursor. Instant CTD if you do.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

I think all it does is place your Sim into the city, and then they go around reacting to stuff. Sort of like if you buy a radio or whatever in The Sims they'll come over and check it out and let you know if they like it or not.

And then you'll proceed to ignore them and do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway :v:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I like it. Very SC2K.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

But RHW looks sooooooo good. It's usually worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Tai posted:

SC4 isn't meant to be a game though. It's like a blank canvas which you paint on rather then have stupid limitations, shite graphics and ''objectives'' like skylines does as do most current game do because they can't be hosed to make an actual game so they think it's fine to add cockblocks in to increase the game time length.

I don't know if that's entirely correct. It's become a zengarden city sculptor, but at its core it was initially a game with restrictions and goals just like skylines has. Go look in the rewards tab on a fresh install, there are a bunch of locked buildings that require certain populations and prerequisite building placements and all sorts of other things.

The thing is, it was built in 2003 so its UI and inner workings are based on much earlier technology and design paradigms. Skylines is much more streamlined and polished because that's where game design has gone for the most part in this generation. If SC4 was developed today, even if it used abstraction instead of agents, I imagine it would work a lot like skylines does now. I mean, assuming that Will Wright and the older maxis team were doing it.

• Locked thread