Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

benzine posted:

For the smoother hills use a slope mode, I use Ennedi's http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1512

Edit: FB!!

You can also use iLive's Reader to modify those slope mods, mainly by changing the "MaxSlopeAlongNetwork" attribute. It's how one guy managed to get an amazingly realistic slope for his railroad.

Swordmaster from SC4Devotion posted:

From my experiments, I've learned this:

MaxSlopeAlongNetwork Grade
0.2865 0.50%
0.5730 1.00%
0.8595 1.50%
1.1460 2.00%

And for anyone wondering how he got these values:

woodb3kmaster from SC4Devotion posted:

If I may say so, there's actually no need to experiment to find the right values for MaxSlopeAlongNetwork - all you need is a bit of trigonometry. Since we know that the value of MaxSlopeAlongNetwork is in degrees, and grade is just the tangent of the angle of the network, all we have to do to find the right value for a given desired grade is take the arctangent of that grade.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=802.920

Going by the above values, I managed to modify an existing slope mod to better make flatter and more realistic roadways and rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GodlessCommie posted:

Is my plugin folder too big?

It takes 18 to 20 minutes to load from clicking the shortcut to having the come up. Surprisingly the game is stable and even in my largest city of 5.2 million I can run it on cheetah. I'd make it a mod pack but we have plenty of those and I doubt if anyone would want to deal with the load time. If you want to recreate my mod pack download everything with four stars or better from STEX and most everything on LEX.

Heh. Nope.

And that's after DatPacking as many plugins as I could without inviting brown boxes or CTDs. Despite the folder creation date, many of those plugins date all the way back to 2006.

With a SSD, it takes 5 minutes to open SC4 with all of these plugins and another 3 to 5 minutes to open any large city.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Grand Fromage posted:

Have been doing that for years. The voodoo that runs this game is off, I need to sacrifice a chicken or something.

What I'd give for a Sim City 4 remake that doesn't poo poo itself when confronted with ATI/AMD cards or processors with more than 1 core.

Messing with the anti-aliasing settings also messes with scroll speeds in Region View. :shrug:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eric the Mauve posted:

EA isn't interested in building a serious successor to SC4. What they tried and failed to make was The Sims:City. Some years down the line, when no managers are left who were around for that disaster, they'll probably try and fail again because their heads are jammed too far up their asses to realize that there is no market for The Sims:City.

Edit: Rather than 'there is no market' it's probably more accurate to say 'there's no way to make a game that will please both The Sims players and SimCity players.'

I get the feeling that Maxis, et al. are only interested in making a game that's the city-building analogue to Farmville - something that appeals to the casual Facebook gamers of the world while being tied into bigger, more well-known AAA titles - hence Simcity 5 and hence the agents. I don't even know if we're ever gonna get something on SC4's level.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eric the Mauve posted:

From EA, no, we certainly never will. Someday... it doesn't look like the upcoming Paradox title will be it, but someday... I think someone will produce a worthy successor to SC4.

I think the only way you're gonna get that is if a)someone from EA (finally) makes the .exe available open-source or b)another decade goes by and someone finally gets the courage to hack into the .exe and essentially re-engineer the game from the ground up, EA be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So EA goes and announces the shutdown of the main Maxis studio during the Game Developers Conference:

Kotaku posted:

Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

• Locked thread