Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does anyone know if the alluvion.org tracker is having issues? Trying to download the Grand fromage pack from the OP, but while downloading it just tells me I'm not registered to use the tracker, which I am, I can log in just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

nielsm posted:

I think the tracker authenticates the IP address you log into the website with to use the tracker. Make sure your torrent client uses the same IP address as your browser. (If you're using an anonymizing proxy or such you might have to disable it.)

Its weird, I've checked all that, its all matching up. Bizarrely downloading the other 2 torrents listed in the OP works fine and lets me grab seeders from Alluvion, its just the GrandFromage pack that doesn't work. :ohdear:

Edit: you really weren't joking when you said dependency hell in the OP...I'm currently sitting here trying to add CAMeLots to the game and every simgle bloody lot needs about 6 or 7 dependencies, BSC This, BSC That, BSC The Other. Its unreal.

Have these guys just never heard of the idea of releasing modpacks with all the dependencies in one zip? Would it not be easier to just bundle ALL the BSC dependencies as one single file, as opposed to having 12 different drat things and having to check if you've got them all with each different lot you download.

It seems like an absolutely crazy way of doing things to me!

Edit 2: The dependency I just downloaded relied on another dependency, which obviously had to be downloaded separately... :negative:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Hah, oh wow, the SC4 Lex has a daily download quota, and what with all the dependancies required you can't do it all in one day.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Feel like playing this again, but I'd be starting from scratch and frankly could not be bothered with going through all that dependency hell again to get the bits I want.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Hmm, any ideas what would cause water pumps/towers/etc to not actually pump water? The area directly around the base of the pumping stations is fine, and the pipes are connected, but the waters just not going into them.

Its a new install, with the OldFashioned pack dumped into the plugins folder.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sam. posted:

I think that pumps will shut down if there's too much pollution in the area.

Theres no pollution around, at least not yet anyway, it's a new map.

Edit: Weird, its only that one map it does it in though. Its working fine in others. Bizarre! Anyway, I'll just download a different region and start afresh on that.

Also I'd forgotten just how outright frustrating RHW on-ramps and their associated puzzle pieces could be to use at times.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 11, 2014

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Brotato Broth posted:

Pretty much every non-standard non-draggable pieces are frustrating to use, but RWH really takes the cake. Every time I get the "realism" fever and try to mold it to the terrain, I end up giving up and using the default highways instead. It's just not worth it.

Shibawanko posted:

RHW is for insane people and you shouldn't bother with it really. With a texture mod the regular highways look just fine, especially if you add a few simple custom intersections and curves from NAM. I don't care how many lanes my highway has, as long as it works.
RHW does indeed seem to be for people who are, shall we say "enthusiastic", about creating realistic junctions. I just kept fiddling with it last night until I figured it out, finally managed to make a highway that doesn't take up an obscene amount of space for every on-ramp and off ramp intersection, once I discovered these new FLEX pieces. They're only getting the 4 lane stuff, Frankly I don't care to expand on that.

Is regular normal highway still affected by the modifications NAM makes to the game?

Brotato Broth posted:

As for the pump issue - what kind of pump was it? Sometimes you have to demolish the pipes connecting to it and rebuild it by dragging from the pump connector and into the actual pipe network itself.
Cant remember the name of the piece, however I'm using it on this new map and its working just fine.

----------------------

One more question, anyone know of any guides or similar that give tips on how you can break up the grid structure of the game, so everything doesn't look like it was drawn on graph paper? I'm plopping down the plots individually be sure to get different sized buildings, but I feel there's more I could be doing.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

This is still the latest version yeah? Do I need to add anything to this after install? I assume NAM is included? Do I need to run any configuration files after unpacking it to get NAM to work correctly? I'll be using a fresh SC4 install, do I need to do any of the fixes in the OP if I'm using this pack?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just got an urge to try and make some of the pretty pictures that have been featured in the thread recently (eg, that waterfall and boating lake village a page or two ago ... :captainpop: drat, that looked amazing!) . I just know I'll be ranting about how much I hate RHW's puzzle pieces again soon enough. It does make some pretty junctions, but my god, its a confusing bastard to use. I seem to remember having to watch several tutorials last time just to make a simple 2 Lane cloverleaf junction. I'm not entirely sure I want to bother with it.

Is there anywhere that just features screenshots of peoples pretty creations?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 23, 2015

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Christ, is every single mod download for this game hidden behind an AdFly link?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Now all I need is some guide similar to "How not to make Grid Based Hellscape Cities for Dummies".

Is there anyone who does good guides on making your cities aesthetically pleasing?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Rah! posted:

Since when are cities built on a grid unrealistic? North America is covered with them, as are other parts of the world.

Maybe, but they're ugly as hell, it doesnt make for pretty pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there some trick to getting RHW bridges to connect up properly?

I can build the bridge fine, I can build the RHW up to the bridge fine. EXCEPT the one tile prior to the bridge on either side of the span will remain standard Maxis Highway, and wont switch over to an RHW square when I drag the RHW across it.

Its a RHW 6S I'm trying to use.

• Locked thread