Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

*PUNCH* posted:

If you don't feel like wrestling with the mapmaker, a generous goon has created rendered and hosted this map. It is compatible with the Old-Fashioned pack due to the trees; your mileage may vary with other packs. It is around 10x10 large tiles, and is very pretty:

http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/Fhuzo.zip

I could have sworn I saw someone mention it earlier, but now I can't seem to find it; can anyone tell me what the terrain mods are for this map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Giggily posted:

Is there a way to disable auto filling zones? I swear to god if I'm trying to place some residential zoning at a small size, and then the game randomly fills up like a 30 block radius I am going to kill myself.

If you mean auto-filling in zones with streets, then it's hold down Ctrl.

Ctrl = No roads OR plot divisions, one enormous plot of type x
Shift = No roads, normal plot divisions
Alt = Rotate roads and plot divisions

If you just want to place a tiny zone, then stop butter-fingering the controls you lout :allears:

Drone posted:

I'm having the most annoying problem. I was having some performance issues after installing the Old-Fashioned Pack, so at the advice of MikeJF from this very thread, I switched to using Software rendering, since apparently Hardware rendering in game is terribly broken. Since switching, the game itself loads fine and I get to the region view as normal. But when I click on one of my cities, the loading screen appears (Reticulating Splines, etc) and eventually the game just crashes to desktop.

When I switch back to Hardware rendering, this crash doesn't happen. The game is still slow as hell but it doesn't crash.

Any ideas? I've tried both fullscreen at my native resolution and windowed at 1024x768, and it's still the same.

Have you made sure you are running on only one core, at high CPU priority? If so, what are your system specs?

Fintilgin posted:

I've got the old fashioned pack, so I assume recent transit improvement mods. What's the ideal way to use bus stops? Do you need them every block, every couple blocks, at the entrance to housing developments? How far will sims walk for them, I read six in vanilla, is that still true with NAM, etc.?

Bus stops are perfectly situated by placing them exactly 6 tiles apart, like so:

xxBxxxxxxBxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxBxxxxxxBxx

That said, you need to be super :spergin: to place them perfectly like that, it's usually fine to keep them separated by 5-7 tiles.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Yep, it's running on only one core with high priority, and I checked the affinity in Task Manager just to be sure. I never had this problem with just the vanilla game + NAM, so it's gotta be something with one of the other mods in the pack.

Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26 Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 9400M
Windows Vista 32bit (cringe)

If running in hardware mode and/or deleting your terrain mods doesn't work, you can always try using nothing but Vanilla + NAM and see if that fixes the problem. Also, this doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but you should probably get a better operating system :shepface:

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Fewd posted:

Does anyone have an idea why a custom region ala Fhuzo from the OP can cause crashes?

Apparently my crashes came out of Fhuzo. If I start the game and begin building on that region somewhere, I get instant CTDs. However, if I load some stock region which came with the game, I can build on those just fine. And if I build on a stock region, afterwards I can load up Fhuzo and build there without a crash.

:whoptc:

I meant to post this days ago, but if anyone is having issues with the Fhuzo region, for example a Crash-to-Desktop directly after attempting to place a bridge or zone an area, and specifically if you aren't seeing any trees when you load a city tile, it's because you are missing the Pacific Northwest Tree mod or one of it's dependencies. The Old Fashioned Pack does contain this mod, but not in a form that makes it easy to extract just those files.

So for everyone who wants to use that region but is experiencing crashes, you absolutely must have this mod to use the Fhuzo region. Probably worth mentioning in the OP.

Also note that the region was rendered using Lowkee's Terrain mods, if you want your cities to look the same way they look in the region view.

E: Or just use this

Schorsch posted:

Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

e: oh and there's no heightmap, it only came with a SC4M file to load into Mapper or Terraformer.

I'll just go ahead and write up a guide on importing maps in SC4 too;

There are primarily two different types of map:
1. A config.bmp image and a greyscale render image
2. A pre-rendered region folder, containing many .sc4 and .png city files. such as Fhuzo

In the second case, all you need to do is drop the region folder into your /Documents/Simcity 4/Regions folder and play.

In the case of the former, you need to create a new folder named after the region name, place both the greyscale image and config.bmp file inside of it, load up SC4, hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R, select the greyscale image and wait. It will take anywhere from 5-30 minutes to fully render the region, so go and grab a drink while you wait.

Giggily posted:

Yeah, I think I might have to just upgrade to subways. Either their destinations are so far away that they don't want to bother with the bus, or they're secretly mostly rich and just refuse to use it. It seems a little silly to be making underground trains for a city of 70,000, but whatever.

What are you doing outside of the Planetside 2 thread Giggily! The unwashed masses there cannot succeed without your glorious lasher sperm to light their way. And to answer your question either hang all of the snobbish nobles infesting your city and replace them with proud working class citizens or use NAM and activate the European mass transit usage preset in the configuration tool that comes with it.

Literal Hamster fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 13, 2013

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

causticBeet posted:

What can lead to huge drops in residential demand? I had a city going really strong, then around 120k pop they started flipping out about education even though I had decent coverage, and the residential demand dropped to like negative 75%. I'm running at like a $9k deficit. Is there anything I can do to get back in the green and retain population short of razing half the city/infrastructure? What can I do in surrounding regions to help? I have NAM if it makes a difference.

It sounds like you have a serious problem with not being a tyrannical dictator. I'm actually serious, if your goal is pure growth and nothing else, then giving your city fancy things like healthcare, education and even water is a bad idea. For example, I have a large city tile that I absolutely covered in low-density/low-income housing. It has no education, health-care, police protection or even fire coverage whatsoever. The only reason it even has parks is because you need them to bust residential demand caps, and even then I place them next to my highways to prevent any desirability from encouraging those bourgeois elite from moving in and demanding things like 'good jobs' and 'education'. My city is a stark dystopian hellscape of the poor and sick, and it makes money hand over fist.

I have a $40k/month surplus of cash, at 130k population, with $11 million in the bank, because my people are thirsty, uneducated and unhealthy, but demand is huge and I'm filthy rich. I could buy every landmark twice and still have a few million left over, and enough income to maintain them. And now I've started to place water and I'm in the process of re-zoning for medium-density, but I'm still not giving them education or hospitals because the suffering of my city amuses me.

But specfically, you have hit a demand cap, you need to get a minor and/or major league stadium and some parks down, and bulldoze all of your frivolous expenditure. The Making Money tutorial actually goes over this pretty well.

For reference, the city I was talking about :

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Wotalt posted:

Hey y'all.

I finally replaced the ancient goon gigapack with Grand Fromage's pack which, while looking amazing, is having a graphical issue while panning around. Changing the resolution and windowing hasn't been able to fix it, so I honestly have no idea what to do. Is this problem familiar?

It should really be mentioned in the OP that Grand Fromage has said his pack is unstable and was developed primarily for his own personal use. I think I actually had something like that happen to me, years ago. Is this similar to what is happening to you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBjfPFwVbk

The comments seem to indicate that some people fixed the problem by switching from hardware to software or vice versa. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to help, sorry.

Jefferoo posted:

So I'm starting with a totally blank, new region, (no luck with mod packs, just 4+Rush Hour unless someone knows how to get NAM working on Mac) how do I get to getting the huge commercial skyscrapers everywhere? I have two cities that are a clusterfuck of like, low end residential and agricultural, and not having a lot of luck balancing my books or expanding. I tried the tutorial and just feel like an idiot, hahaha.

Heh, if you want skyscrapers then prepare to sperg like you have never sperged before :spergin:

Skyscrapers come in several different flavours, and are based on regional population not city population. In other words, if you want any appreciable amount of skyscrapers, you'll probably need to focus on growth to the exclusion of all else, in particular the happiness and wealth of your citizens. Get a large city tile, start a dirty-industry exclusive city right next to it, and start laying down highways.

The Big City and Making Money tutorials have two seperate core ideas that are very important to learn.

1. Build out before you build up. In other words, you need to spread out your city before you can or should get those sweet sweet skyscrapers.
2. Don't spend money on what you don't need. In other words:
-Don't spend money on water before you have medium density zoning.
-Don't spend money on police coverage until you have a large number of high-wealth citizens
-Don't spend money on education until you are a. trying to aquire medium/high-tech industry or b. trying to attract more middle-wealth citizens. even then, don't do it until you are at least building medium density
-Don't spend money on landmarks you goddamn hippie
-Don't spend money on extra capacity for city services when you don't need that extra capacity
-Don't spend money on healthcare, unless you give a poo poo about your citizens leading long productive lives. Personally, I don't see the difference between a 50 year old slave and an 80 year old slave. It's not like you can't just replace them anyways.

I recommend following this plan if you are just going for maximum population and sky scraping;

-Start two cities on large tiles: 1 Residential/Commercial/Water, 1 Industrial/Power/Garbage. This seals pollution in to your industrial city, preventing exposure to your residential areas. For extra hilarity, name your industrial city Auschwitz or something, so everyone knows you aren't afraid to show your true colors excellent humor skills.

-Connect both cities by at least 3 highways, possibly as many as five. Highways are extremely fast and high capacity, but are fairly expensive. I recommend using ground highways, as they are 1/3 the cost while retaining all traits of elevated highways except for the elevated part (it's really quite useless, even elevated it still bulldozes anything on the ground, meaning it's only worth using in small chunks for when you need to pass a network underneath). Don't worry about the money, you'll be making it back soon.

Here's an example of some ground highway interfaces I built:

-Start building. I recommend a 6x6 tile area separated by streets for all of your zoning. It takes longer to construct, but it aids traffic pathfinding and makes the city look more ordered. That last part is very important :spergin:

-Build a chunk of low-density residential zoning, and then switch over to your industrial city and build a chunk of dirty industrial zoning (don't build medium/high density yet, you need water for those zones to develop and water is expensive and only for productive citizens, these fuckers need to earn their right to drink) and then switch back again. Don't forget to mix in a tiny bit of commercial zoning every now and then. Continue doing this until you hit a demand cap (you'll notice demand flatline). Generally by around ~20k population, you'll hit a residential cap. To bust this, build parks. Lots of parks. Build at least 16 of any flavor so that you have enough for a minor/major league stadium down the line. If for some reason you hit an industrial cap, build more neighbour connections (rail/road/highway, it doesn't matter what).

-Continue zoning and expanding, put out any fires that crop up, and notice your cash levels start to skyrocket. If your wallet is not fatter than Kim Jong Un, then you have hosed up like the imperialist swine you are, and it's probably because you took pity on your citizens and built them some schools, or water or even a clinic. Bulldoze those right now. There is no need for thinking or healthy living in our city. If your wallet is still not phat, it's probably because you are overspending on services. Check your budget and see if anything is draining more money than it needs to be.

-By now you should have expanded across the entirety of your residential city. The poor inhabit the land in enormous swathes, their suburban ghettos shining up at your godly face as you look down in disgust at what you have wrought. You should have anywhere from 110k - 140k population, and you are both ready to move onto medium density zoning and probably have some traffic problems.

-Install water services in your residential city, and build enough pipe to supply water to every corner of your desolate, dry wasteland. At this point you have a choice: Do you want to go for higher-wealth citizens, or do you want to focus on salting the earth with the decrepit bodies of your poor? Being the proper psychopathic monster you are, you choose to build your skyscrapers on the backs of your unwashed masses, because it's simpler and much easier to do and less :effort: for me to explain.

-Continue expanding your industrial city and adding more medium-density residential zoning. DO NOT ADD EDUCATION! To do so might invite medium or high-wealth filth to your city, which would cause demand for high-class jobs, which can't support quite as many workers (not as space-efficient). Think of it, asking for a decent wage and working conditions. While you are doing this, you'll need to continue expanding your transport network. Highways are too bulky at this point, so you'll probably need to go underground with subways.

-Ensure you have adequate power and water reserves, and your garbage is being properly disposed of (or just leave it in the streets, it's pretty hilarious); if you thought the increase in supplies needed to maintain a solid medium-density city were excessive, wait until you see what a sea of skyscrapers demands of your logistical network.

-You should be anywhere from 200-500k population. Feel free to start zoning for high-density residential, but don't be surprised if you don't see very many skyscrapers pop up. You won't have the region population to support them yet.

-Start other cities, and repeat this process with them. Remember that skyscrapers are based on region population, therefore you'll need lots of big cities to get lots of skyscrapers.

Whew. That turned out longer than I expected. I probably got some information wrong there, and I was nowhere as detailed as I could have been. Let me know if anyone sees any glaring mistakes or omissions. And don't forget:

Literal Hamster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 13, 2013

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I can't get Old Fashioned's pack to stop crashing when loading any region. I basically just want to play in that pretty looking Fhuzo region with just the bare essentials except I can't figure out what those are. From previous posts I know it has something to do with trees(?) but trying only the terrain folder (without terrainmods and zzz_terrain with crash the game) I can get into the regions on Fhuzo but proceed to crash when I try to do any building.

Daysvala posted:

I meant to post this days ago, but if anyone is having issues with the Fhuzo region, for example a Crash-to-Desktop directly after attempting to place a bridge or zone an area, and specifically if you aren't seeing any trees when you load a city tile, it's because you are missing the Pacific Northwest Tree mod or one of it's dependencies. The Old Fashioned Pack does contain this mod, but not in a form that makes it easy to extract just those files.

So for everyone who wants to use that region but is experiencing crashes, you absolutely must have this mod to use the Fhuzo region. Probably worth mentioning in the OP.

Also note that the region was rendered using Lowkee's Terrain mods, if you want your cities to look the same way they look in the region view.

For the two people who were asking why Fhuzo wouldn't work for them, or want to play Fhuzo with just the bare essentials, here is your answer.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, I've been messing around in a new region, my interest in SC4 being reinvigorated as of late. I don't know what mod pack I'm using, I'm just playing from a year-old SC4 install I've had laying around. But within that pack, somewhere, is a "Real Highway" tool, and I hope the author of this abomination is burning in hell somewhere right now. Maybe it's because I'm on an old version or something, but this thing is pissing me off to no end. At first, I thought hey, I'll give it a shot because it looks miles better than Maxis's terrible looking highways. But placement is so buggy, so unintuitive, so god damned difficult, that I just ragequit after a couple hours of loving around with the stupid piece of poo poo. I'm convinced that you can't actually curve a highway that's larger than four lanes. There are no proper 6 lane curve tools, only a six lane diagonal transition, and only one type of diagonal for it. The latter is the real problem because I can't figure out how to make the diagonal transition back into a straight and finish off a 90 degree turn. I just don't see anything to allow for that to happen. You also need shitloads of empty space to work with these things, the off ramps are a nightmare to work with, bulldozing adjacent structures often cause the highway to freak out and break apart, and so on. I'm about ready to just undo everything and use Maxis's super ugly highways. This thing is so frustrating.

I've tried to use RHW a couple of times now, and both times I've just gone straight back to Maxis' lovely but functional highways. Despite (or maybe because of) there being multiple user's manuals and dozens of tutorials videos on youtube, I just cannot get RHW to work for me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

So I got the Steam version of Sim City 4 to scratch the itch and I got Grand Fromage's pack, but when I start a city, all my demand is hugely in the negatives and nothing seems to get built.

I assume this is due to the CAM bug, but I can't get dat packer to work on Windows 8 at all (it keeps claiming it's missing a dll that exists).

Any advice?

-GF's pack is unstable
-The damand always starts negative, if it stays negative then you have a problem
-The dat packer documentation has a list of DLLs that you need, try downloading and putting them in the folder containing the executable if keeping them in sys32 doesn't work
-Like the poster above me said, make sure your zones are powered

• Locked thread