Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jastiger posted:

I'd love to upgrade, but I'm under a specific No Spend Order from the wife. Which is why I'm going back to SC4 to have some fun with the mods:) Looks like I can't:(

Sounds like an E/N thread waiting to happen.

On a more relevant note, once every few months SC4 Deluxe goes on sale on Steam for like $8. If you can't talk your wife into permitting you to spend $8, then it's probably E/N time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lots of luck finding two goons with the same mods and custom buildings to work with, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Works exactly the same through Steam as with your own disc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

These are excellent and SimGoober is awesome, but I will say--those jobs should be C$, not C$$.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can't see what it does that just adding some flags to the command line yourself doesn't, besides autosaving. Am I missing something?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I get pretty good results growing row housing by zoning 1x2 or 1x3 strips of alternating medium and high density residential. Later on you might have to historicify the high density zones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Geshtal posted:

Didn't someone once post here that some of SimCity 4's code is pulled unchanged from all the way back in SimCity 2000? It's really remarkable how well 4 still holds up considering how "old" even the "newest" parts are on top of it being a mismatched patchwork. The fact that writing a fresh version that can actually communicate with itself should be a license to print money makes it all the more confusing how EA screwed up their version so badly.

Not that I want to revisit the flame wars over that game, but it was such a disaster because EA wasn't trying to make SimCity 5, they were trying to make The Sims: City. It will probably be a long time before they try again, but when they do it will be another catastrophe if they still refuse to acknowledge that SimCity players and The Sims players want very different things out of their experience.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nition posted:

People could upload their regions as actual region files instead of greyscale maps etc. That way they could also provide all the trees etc with the file. But it would make the file size like 50x larger and we've heard what the SC4 community thinks about large files.

Yeah, it's another relic of the days when some people were still dialing up.

Somewhere along the line, a fondness for hypercomplexity became a point of cultural pride for the SC4 modding community. If you're not willing to take six unnecessary extra steps and download fourteen extra things, we don't want your kind here.

I've always played with only a little bit of custom content; last night I installed Tai's awesome megapack. And it makes the game look SO MUCH NICER... but... good GOD it's excruciating trying to navigate the menus with all this stuff. Like to plant on-street bus stops I have to slooowly scroll through about 100 or 150 items. I might actually go back to playing mostly vanilla because it's so painful.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Paradox is doing a city simulator? Well, the bad news is when they release it it'll be every bit the buggy piece of poo poo SC2013 was--but the good news is Paradox will actually work on improving it and release patches that actually fix things. So that's actually pretty exciting!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because no one wants to do what has already been done (SC4).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

EA isn't interested in building a serious successor to SC4. What they tried and failed to make was The Sims:City. Some years down the line, when no managers are left who were around for that disaster, they'll probably try and fail again because their heads are jammed too far up their asses to realize that there is no market for The Sims:City.

Edit: Rather than 'there is no market' it's probably more accurate to say 'there's no way to make a game that will please both The Sims players and SimCity players.'

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 4, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The thing is... SC4 is actually still selling in noticeable numbers, isn't it? EA is never releasing a game that is still bringing them :20bux: a month of passive income.

I am certain that over the years EA has held meetings and discussed making an honest-to-god successor to SC4, and decided there wouldn't be enough up-front revenue to justify the significant resources making such a game would require. That's a poor business decision if you're thinking long term--SC4 didn't sell huge at its launch, but it's not an exaggeration to say there are very few video games ever made that have demonstrated SC4's staying power--but corporate executives do not think long term. Their every incentive is to never look past the end of their own nose. What good is revenue five years from now? I'll have long since been fired if the games I make aren't bestsellers at launch.

Now if we can make a city simulator that The Sims players, who outnumber and especially outspend SimCity players twenty or thirty times over, would buy... that would be the golden fuckin' ticket. And so that is what they tried to do, and someday will try to do again.

From the inside of a corporate monolith there is zero incentive to craft a robust produce, embrace a modding community around it and maintain it for years. Profit right now is all that matters.

Edit: Removed the last bit of my post because it was both overcaustic and kind of a nonsequitur.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 4, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

I get the feeling that Maxis, et al. are only interested in making a game that's the city-building analogue to Farmville - something that appeals to the casual Facebook gamers of the world while being tied into bigger, more well-known AAA titles - hence Simcity 5 and hence the agents. I don't even know if we're ever gonna get something on SC4's level.

From EA, no, we certainly never will. Someday... it doesn't look like the upcoming Paradox title will be it, but someday... I think someone will produce a worthy successor to SC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yes, Skylines has its issues. Yes, its scaled down from SC4, but by necessity unless you want a game in 2015 to look like a game from 2003. [/spoiler]

I don't think the graphics are why the game had to be scaled down compared to SC4; SC4 had cutting edge graphics in 2003 and the scale was the same then as it is now. I think the chief culprits forcing a scaledown are taking the simulation off the grid, and tracking individual agents.

I'm not as apocalyptic as Tai about it, but I'm skeptical this is a good tradeoff.

• Locked thread