Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Great OP for a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
That looks really good.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Sober posted:

No, but I think at a certain point the fun is in crafting the city over really trying to squeeze what you can out of the simulation, so turn on the cheats for unlimited funds and start playing with the ploppables and puzzle pieces and terraforming to get the look and feel you want if traditionally zoning and waiting for something to happen doesn't work out.
Indeed, screw the mind numbingly boring budget game and let your urban planing skills go wild!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

I may have hosed something up. I have Sim City 4 Deluxe, and I've only installed the NAM mod.

My schools and clinics don't seem to be actually effecting education/health.

They're there, they're not over capacity, they're covering the whole town, but my Education and Health overlays are just showing red. Did I miss something?
It takes a lot of time for health and education improvement.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

:stare:

Is that functional? As in does it help you play the game? Or is just a cool looking virtual trainset?

Also, is there any kind of transport manager game these days, like Railroad Tycoon was back in the day, or should I just break out DosBox and play Railroad Tycoon?
Cities in Motion. Also Open TTD.

There is really good looking one that's on some European crowdfunding site called Train Fever.:krad: It's a modern Transport Tycoon.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
You need Rush Hour

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Daysvala posted:

Whew. That turned out longer than I expected. I probably got some information wrong there, and I was nowhere as detailed as I could have been. Let me know if anyone sees any glaring mistakes or omissions. And don't forget:

Wait, people still do I and R exclusive cities?

There's a really good recent Industrial mod that came out recently. It makes industrial ares more like sprawling warehouses and cargo areas instead of the same factory everywhere. It also more control over what industry grows, medium density only lets I-D and lower end I-M grow, while high density only allows HT and higher end I-M grow. It's called the Industrial Revolution Mod

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 13, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I edited this in, So I don't think anyone saw it.

quote:

There's a really good recent Industrial mod that came out recently. It makes industrial ares more like sprawling warehouses and cargo areas instead of the same factory everywhere. It also more control over what industry grows, medium density only lets I-D and lower end I-M grow, while high density only allows HT and higher end I-M grow. It's called the Industrial Revolution Mod

Here's a package of all the bug fixing mods, so you don't have to use the slow stex! http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?921ycy0yd1dgega Just read to readmes for each one to see what it does and extract the dat files to your plugins folder.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 14, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the list of mod packs, I'm almost certain I have Killhour's pack installed right now. What should I do to install another mod pack? Can I just delete the plugins folder and download a new modpack? If I "upgrade" to Grand Fromage's pack from Killhour's, will I run into any issues in my saved cities? I figure at most if there are some missing buildings, there will be a few missing building graphics here and there and I'll just bulldoze them.

I could reinstall, but then I'd have to track down those discs again :effort:
Yeah, that will work fine. Worst thing that could happen is you get lots of big boxes and empty lots.

quote:

How does the Industrial Revolution mod play with random industrial plugins? I'd love to get it but I have a bunch of industry I've downloaded (and that would be difficult to clear out) and I don't know if they'd play ball.
It only edits the vanilla lots, so any custom lots will work out fine.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

metallicaeg posted:

I don't like a lot of mods. NAM, RTMT, and an industry tripler are about all that's in here.
A good looking city would look even better with some custom skyscrapers!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
:siren:Diagonal houses!:siren:

Suck it new Simcity

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mock and Droll posted:

Any suggestions for night or lighting mods? Or any building/lots that look great at night? I like to play with the day/night cycle on, and my nights look so...dull. Barely any of my buildings have lights, and my streetlights look rather lacklustre.
Simfox day night mod.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

BrassRoots posted:

So I've been away for a few weeks and now that I'm back there's a brand new NAM?

How is it? I'm guessing by now most of you guys have tried it or at least tried installing it. What's the verdict?
The release was buggy, but they've fixed most of the bugs the now.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

By works I mean only crashes every 30 minutes
Welcome to Simcity 4

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not that the game doesn't work without NAM, it's just less realistic and doesn't work as well.
Yeah, without the NAM, no one ever uses freeways, and the only way to avoid hitting the traffic abandonment wall when your city gets big is to place subways everywhere.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

Speaking of which, goddamn is the game slow now and then. I get the feeling it is the huge amount of mods I put in but when running on cheeta, the game randomly pauses for a few seconds and then continues. It does this a couple of times per ingame month, mostly when growing stuff like farms or new buildings.
Is there a way to speed this up, other then deleting mods because I love my mods and only plan to add.
The slow down is the traffic simulator, which you can't really fix unless you remove the NAM mod.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I'm curious, does anyone still bother balancing the budget?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

Hell yes, no installers! Did they finally abandon that horror?
I think that's a Devotion thing, I haven't come across many installers on Simtropolis.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Depends what style you're going for. It's totally normal here in Korea. There are small towns that are basically just a small cluster of 30 story apartment blocks surrounded by farms.
Also see Houston.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

The reason is a lot that grows that building on low density housing. I am not sure that area even has water.
It basically means I need to remove a mod so not, not intentional.

About duplicate growables, it adds something that a series of similar houses grows in the same street. I live on a street that has a series of 10 nearly identical 16 story buildings that were put here from 69 to 73, one after the other:

Anyway, I know my cities are not grand but I figured this thread could use some pictures.
It's cool, not everyone has the time nor desire to sperg out on realism.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

RHW does indeed seem to be for people who are, shall we say "enthusiastic", about creating realistic junctions. I just kept fiddling with it last night until I figured it out, finally managed to make a highway that doesn't take up an obscene amount of space for every on-ramp and off ramp intersection, once I discovered these new FLEX pieces. They're only getting the 4 lane stuff, Frankly I don't care to expand on that.

Is regular normal highway still affected by the modifications NAM makes to the game?
The normal highways function just fine with NAM. No need to worry about using RHW

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Note on plopable residential buildings, they don't work if you want them to function like normal residential buildings. A bug in the game always causes them to abandon because it doesn't "connect" to the road networks.

They got rid of the baby avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The Paradox dev who's the producer I believe said in the AMA that the game has a built in asset exporter. So you can easily add new buildings and whatnot right from the start.

• Locked thread