Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
Installed this on Steam after not having played it for many many years. Would it be advisable to download some of the suggested modpacks right away or should I start with vanilla first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Downloaded the Old Fasioned Pack and it's causing the game to crash whenever I load into a map from region view. I deleted the terrainmods folder cause I am running in software rendering mode. What might the problem be?? I just plopped everything in my Plugins folder.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Nope, running this on a Surface Pro 3, Windows 8.1

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tai posted:

Core set to 1 only? Core set to high priority? Plugins are in documents/sim city 4? Turned clouds/waves off? Not using a map that needs terrain mods since you've deleted it due to using SD?

Deleted the ENTIRE terrain folder and that fixed it.

Also do you know if the NAM/RHW mod is up to date in OF 3.0?

I'm having trouble with RHW but all the tutorials on the web are out of date.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Does freight not go through passenger rail stations?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

kinnas posted:

And as I continue descending deeper into sperg madness, is there an easy way to globally block or replace props? I keep getting these jarring out of place bright cold green trees growing in back yards and it looks like garbage. :(

I too have some really ugly trees since upgrading to Tai's pack, and not only are they way greener than the ones in your screen they are also HUGE and cover up all the houses.

Thanks for the unpacked version Tai, goodbye load times.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tai posted:

Never kept a list sorry. It probably has most of the major stuff. You could download the unpacked version. I always install there first to check for these kind of things.

How do I pack stuff? I think I'll just customize your unpacked version and repack it for loading times.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

Also, I'm getting these weird trains:

Anyone (Tai, since it's your pack) recognize the problem mod?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I just downloaded the latest pack that Tai linked to so :shrug:

But thanks, I'll try that.

e: actually I already have something called "BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol05.dat"

Tai posted:

Never seen that ever. Could be just a graphics glitch.

I am also running in software mode so maybe they are rendered slightly differently in hardware? Dunno.

Or if you're talking about the weird trains apparently they are normal.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
e: nvm

It's the JRJ sidewalk mod that was the culprit.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 28, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is there an easy way of populating an custom region with trees?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yikes. Alright.

drat, I've been looking at the Industrial Revolution mod which looks really nice, but is incompatible with CAM :shepicide:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Yeah, I did, it didn't work, although apparently it's because it's not compatible with any other industrial buildings.

I downloaded the original IRM with the bare minimum of mods and it worked. The industrial areas look great! Now I have to go through Tai's modpack and find each and every custom industrial building and delete it...:suicide:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

Yeah, I did, it didn't work, although apparently it's because it's not compatible with any other industrial buildings.

I downloaded the original IRM with the bare minimum of mods and it worked. The industrial areas look great! Now I have to go through Tai's modpack and find each and every custom industrial building and delete it...:suicide:

Tried the CAM version...it doesn't work very well. The IRM lots that grow are all tiny buildings and sheds and tanks and stuff. Yeah. How essential is CAM anyway? The IRM sets are REALLY nice.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Alright, thanks.

At this point I'm tempted just delve into dependency hell and just download mods manually.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

It's not that hard, and if you want I can upload all of the CAMeLOTs that are in the MacPack for you so you can pick and choose everything else (I only say this because it takes god drat FOREVER to find a decent amount of CAMeLOTs)

That would be great. Actually, after deleting CAM I searched in my plugins forlder for every instance of ID or i-d or IM or i-m or i-ht etc. and deleted them. Then I wasn't getting any industrial growing at all, and I found a maxis buildings blocker mod in the pack, deleted that. Then things did start growing in industry zones again but it's still not growing things right compared to just vanilla + IRM. Can't think of what else is conflicting. E: or rather something is still preventing maxis lots from growing

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 29, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I live near a train line that has both passenger and freight trains.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

I live near a train line that has both passenger and freight trains.

I guess if your freight needs to be going the same way as your passengers do, then it makes sense for them to share rails. Otherwise, they don't.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

kinnas posted:

I come from the depths of the various sim city sites bearing gifts - here I have the best new tree controllers which only use the new prettier trees! None of this is mayor mode plopped, all god mode megabrush fire-and-forget:

Do these require hardware mode to run?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
By the way, kinnas your game looks gorgeous please post more screens.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
For the NAM Rural Road pieces, it seems like you have to plop each road section one by one?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
If you mean these:

Subyng posted:

You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

It's JRJ street mod.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Curvature of Earth posted:

You: Look at my adorable town.

Me:

Pack em' in like sardines I'm almost at 4 million! :awesome:

That's an awful lot of wasted river space that could be used to build more skyscrapers.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Not to diminish the skill involved in making a good looking city, but terrain mods and HD makes a huuuuge difference.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I imagine all these really nice looking things and I lay it out as such but either the terrain won't do what I want it to do or everything goes right, but it still looks like poo poo

It doesn't help that grids are literally hardwired into my brain from living in Detroit Metro for so long and non-grid roads being almost completely foreign to me, and I'm apparently spergy enough that I can't help but feel like windy roads are a waste of space when I could instead toss more zones in there

edit: This map is featured on Simtropolis today, it looks pretty promising since I'm starting to grow annoyed with Vancouver. I have a feeling all the city lots will be the same gently caress off huge tiles that has been the source of some frustration
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30127-mikawa-bay-aichi-prefecture-japan/

Ugh, one thing that annoys me about literally every map on Simtropolis that is based on a real world location is that they forget that the terrain has existing man made "cutouts" on the shore that would not represent natural, undeveloped terrain!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Although I suppose one could just terraform them back into a natural looking shoreline, but it's the principle of the matter

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tai posted:

Already gone back to SC4. I wasn't overly impressed with the game considering it's 2015.

Consider that it's a $30 game made by like, 10 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Taeke posted:

They're two completely different games for me. SC4 is more about making pretty, realistic looking cities, a bonsai garden as you guys often say, while Skylines (so far) is more of an actual game (as in progressing through a set of challenges and stuff) and less of a simulation, if that makes sense.

The first part of your sentence and the second part seem to contradict. SC4 isn't really a simulation, more of a sandbox, while Cities Skyline requires you to work with the rules of the simulation to produce a certain result (say for example, traffic).

Also you CAN do region play in Cities, arguably in a better way than you can in SC4. Granted, you have to unlock the necessary tiles (which isn't hard and if there isn't an option in the game to start with all tiles unlocked a mod can certainly do it) and the scale isn't as large, but there is nothing stopping you from building two distinct entities on opposite ends of the map and having them be separate cities, and unlike in SC4, both cities will grow simultaneously and interact with each other.

• Locked thread