Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Are there any good island regions? I want to build something Singapore-ish. I had a custom island I made myself years ago, but it died along with one of my old hard drives, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I adopted a few rules over the years I put into SimCity to help make my cities look better. A lot of it goes along with what's been said here (and might have come from older threads, in fact), but this is what always worked for me.

- Avoid grids. Yes, they're efficient and extremely common in modern cities, but it just doesn't look that good. Use diagonals and dead-end streets to break up blocks. Doubly important if you're going for a more European or Asian look.
- When zoning suburbs, don't zone out a huge block. Draw some winding roads and place individual 1x2 or 2x2 zones along them with some space in between. You can always lay down more zones if you need them, and this leaves space for later improvements like parks or libraries.
- Early on, zone tiny bits of commercial and industrial in with your residential zones. This gives you a nice small-town country look with corner shops and little family businesses. Also has the added bonus of cutting down on traffic, since some folks will just walk or commute locally rather than all going downtown or to the industrial park.
- Always zone low-density. When you're ready to move up to apartments and towers, re-zone existing areas near the geographic center of your city. Don't try to build brand new high-density zones unless you want your city to look like modern Beijing.
- For a more natural region look, pick out at least two spots in your region for your big metropolises and run rail lines through the empty city plots between them. When you want to develop the smaller plots, start them as little railroad towns and build them up as much or as little as you want.

My cities ended up looking a lot more realistic and having a lot more character by following these rules. The only thing I ever really had problems with were highways, because they require some actual planning to use and I never had a good sense of where they needed to go. I ended up leaving corridors of green space around my major avenues in case I ever decided to put in highways, which also kinda helped the look...assuming you want your city to look like Atlanta.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I could see a mod like that working, though. An ordinance that provides a pittance of income (or maybe a discount to police funding) in exchange for randomly worsening traffic at random points and/or reducing some measure of happiness.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Keetron posted:

Disregarding your comment about starting a region from scratch, let's assume you download some region from the stack such as Eaton or Saul St Marie.

The lovely part is to forest all tiles you want to use. The initial trees are free but are a pain to put in place. There must be a mod somewhere to do this faster but you will have to find that yourself because I am lazy.

Where would people settle first? At the foot of a mountain, the place where the river flows into the sea or in the middle of fertiel farmland? Build some small settlements there with a few small farming plots, they have to work all this by hand/horse you know. Do this across the region in a bunch of different cities.

Now, how would they connect if they connect at all? Put in some railways and allow these to follow logical lines, so as straight as possible unless there are mountains in the way in which case you seek as little elevation as possible.

Revisit all your towns after they are connected. With the industrial age there will be bigger farms, so start drawing bigger farms. Use the shift key to prevent a roadgrid. Draw the farms spreading outwards from the town, but following the roads you made to have some outside connections other then rail.

You will see residential and commercial and all other demand spiking across the region now.

Build out your towns using the small farming plots as you can imagine the municipality would buy up one farm at the time to turn into shops and houses. Also, the bigger and more flat land there is in a region, the cheaper the land to build on so build spacious. You can put in a few small plots of dirty and manufacturing industry somewhere outside of town. This makes more sense in a harbor town then somewhere in the middle of Bumfuck, Alabama.
There is still no need for silly stuff like water, healthcare or schooling.

By now you can have most of your map/region that you think makes sense covered by farms and some small industry. Pick the town that is most likely to grow into a city, often near water. Do the same as above but remember to build in layers instead of going straight for a high-rise town. You can of course, the big region you build up that will have about a 100k citizens and three times that in jobs (mostly agriculture), will cause a huge demand in everything so you can build what you like.

This post is art. I always tried to build along these lines but never have I seen it explained so succinctly. Thank you for the inspiration.

• Locked thread