Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reading over the Sim City 5 debacle has made me really want to reinstall this, so I wiped out the various mods and plugins I've installed over the years and am starting completely fresh. I've never been able to get good, stable, satisfying regional play down pat, so I'm gonna try to start doing that now. My cities also tended to look ugly and vanilla, so I'm gonna try to go for some more cosmetic mods to make my city feel actually real and not just cookie-cutter.

Is there a decent guide anywhere to avoiding boring, North American-style grids?

That Fhuzo map in the OP looks simply phenomenal, but it seems waaaaay too mountainous. Is there really not a problem building on mountains or should I just build around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm having the most annoying problem. I was having some performance issues after installing the Old-Fashioned Pack, so at the advice of MikeJF from this very thread, I switched to using Software rendering, since apparently Hardware rendering in game is terribly broken. Since switching, the game itself loads fine and I get to the region view as normal. But when I click on one of my cities, the loading screen appears (Reticulating Splines, etc) and eventually the game just crashes to desktop.

When I switch back to Hardware rendering, this crash doesn't happen. The game is still slow as hell but it doesn't crash.

Any ideas? I've tried both fullscreen at my native resolution and windowed at 1024x768, and it's still the same.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Daysvala posted:

Have you made sure you are running on only one core, at high CPU priority? If so, what are your system specs?

Yep, it's running on only one core with high priority, and I checked the affinity in Task Manager just to be sure. I never had this problem with just the vanilla game + NAM, so it's gotta be something with one of the other mods in the pack.

Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26 Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 9400M
Windows Vista 32bit (cringe)

*PUNCH* posted:

Because the terrain mods are HD (greater resolution than the base game technically supports,) they are unfortunately incompatible with software mode. Delete the terrainmods folder and you should be good to go.

Ah, awesome. I can actually live with it running in hardware mode, but if it gets too old I'll switch to one of those other terrain mods. Thanks for the info!

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 9, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Giggily posted:

Is there a reason that after a certain point my city stops having any demand for more jobs, but a never ending demand for more residential zoning? I have a population of about 20k, and around half that many potential jobs but people keep wanting to move in.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free?

Do neighboring cities in the region have a lot of jobs? If your city is more attractive for living than the other ones, Sims may want to move to your town and commute to work elsewhere.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

At what point do you guys usually start building more "mass" transit between your cities? I'm playing the Fhuzo region from the OP and started my main city (medium-to-high wealth residential/commercial with miles of farmlands behind it) right at the mouth of the river, and it's humming along at about 15,000 residents. Meanwhile next door I have my slums and industrial city with about 30,000 poor people. Since I've got NAM installed I don't really have a ton of traffic issues between the two, but I'm wondering when it would start to make sense to build a train line connecting them, or maybe start on a highway system, with a mind toward future growth. The region in Grand Fromage's amazing LP is something like what I'm going for.

Also subways or monorails? Just for real-life issues it'd seem like subways are silly for any region below like half a million population, but I wanna know what you all use.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

triplexpac posted:

So I have a city of about 20,000 and I'm starting to put in some water & basic education to get sims happier

The problem is when I build a school, it immediately fills up past capacity and the teachers go on strike. I fund the schools to max, but they still go over that.

Is there a way around this, or do I have to just keep building schools until everyone is happy?

Well if you have more students than free space at schools, naturally the solution would be to build more schools to accomodate them? :confused:

If you're using the Old Fashioned Pack there's a pretty good, high-capacity school in there specifically for cities. If you're 100% against new school building you could always reduce bus funding to make a school's coverage radius smaller, thereby reducing the number of students it will need to service.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I usually keep my high tech and industrial/dirty industries on opposite sides of the map. Then when I do want to get rid of the dirty, I usually repurpose it into low-income housing/commercial, since they'll live pretty much anywhere.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It happens to me when I alt-tab out while launching the game. Usually restarting it and walking away from the PC for a minute while it loads solves the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What is the terrain mod included in the Old Fashioned pack? I uninstalled awhile ago to make room on my hard drive and deleted my plugins folder too. Now I'm reinstalling and kinda want to start fresh and hand-pick my own add-ons instead of downloading massive, unwieldy goonpacks.

Starting with the newest version of NAM and working my way up from there.

Edit: actually I may just say "gently caress it" and redownload Old Fashioned. Is the 3.0 version posted in the OP the most up-to-date one?

• Locked thread