Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Complete noob problem:

I'm starting a city, and after a pop of about 1000 I cannot get the demand for Agriculture down at all. I've tried it both with and without the SPAM addon, and I can cover half the drat city with farms and nothing seems to help. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Iunnrais posted:

You want LESS Agri demand?
Uh, yeah, don't I? In SimCity games don't you want to generally keep the RCI graphs close to zero? The Ag bar is pegged to the top of the graph no matter what I do.

Plopped down a school, will see what that does.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression you got "penalized" somehow if the demand bars were too high. Thanks for the info.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I know Jastiger's wallet is under house arrest, but for info the Deluxe PC download version is also available for $15.16 on Amazon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Noobish question: is it possible to rescale a region? As in, most regions you find for download end up being 32x32 or 40x40 (large cities), can you keep the same overall terrain but shrink it to, say, 6x6 or 8x8? Is that just a matter of changing the config.bmp?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
With a city of 30K-50K pop, is it normal that when on the fastest speed, entries in the (detailed) RCI graph change by 3000 or so every "tick"? As in, go from +1000 to -2000 instantly? (and then usually pop back sometime later)

I just have NAM, SPAM, Black Hole Garbage, and a bunch of SimGoober's BATs installed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Keetron posted:

After a while, these buildings are finished, taking a bite out of demand. If there is more in development then there is demand surplus, it will dip into the negative leading to either abandonment or a lack of future growth, but this is fine. Just do not assign more plots to that segment.
Right, I kind of figured that was part of it (construction, abandonment, downgrading, upgrading, etc.) but ... my cities don't even have any high-density buildings. Is a few buildings completing (lets say they house 50 people each) enough to change the residential demand by 2000-4000? Seems like I'm missing something.

Now that I think of it, the demand bouncing is mostly the $$$ and HT bars. Maybe I'm right on the edge of education/desirability/something?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Why do $$$ buildings keep popping up when they shouldn't, and is there any way I can stop it?

They show up when demand is significantly negative, in areas with no services except water. They get built, and almost immediately downgrade to medium wealth. The only plugins I run are NAM, SPAM, Peg's garbage chute, the Chamber of Commerce, and a bunch of SimGoober BATs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HappyHelmet posted:

It's an issue with some modded buildings. Whoever made the building likely used the wrong tag, and now the building is in the wrong class.
Yeah, but these are stock buildings, too. edit: Chalmers Co. and Stampel printing stand out the most, but maybe because they're easy to see.

Should a $$$ medium density building of any type show up in a place where the only service is water?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 22, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sorry, yes power too. I forget about that since it's necessary. Here's the kind of thing that's getting frustrating:

I have let's say about 4000 demand for CO$$ and negative 5000 demand for CO$$$. I go off to a spot that's not in the coverage circles for any education, health, fire, or police, or any parks. Just power and water. I zone some medium density commercial, and a third to a half of what shows up is CO$$$.

Why? how? Either something is making demand completely non-functional or I'm missing something, it seems.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Both, as far as I can tell. For instance, the Chalmers Co, Stampel Printing, Molon Condos, and Packard Apartments are all Maxis buildings, correct?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A really small detail, but Tai's pack has the industry job doubler mod(s) in it, and it has both sets -- the ones that double pollution and the ones that don't. It's one of those mods where you're meant to choose one or the other.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, yeah the names are pretty cryptic.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tai posted:

So...what are they :D
in the Job Doubler folder, there are the following files:

dirty-doubler_includingPollution.dat
dirty-doubler.dat
farm-doubler_includingPollution.dat
farm-doubler.dat
hitech-doubler_includingPollution.dat
hitech-doubler.dat
manufacturing-doubler_includingPollution.dat
manufacturing-doubler.dat

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Curvature of Earth posted:

..., SPAM's improved demand settings stopped working. Now agricultural demand drops to zero after a city gets too big and too educated.
Perhaps I've been doing something wrong, but over the last year with SPAM the Ag demand always drops to zero when the pop hits 30,000.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tusen Takk posted:

Tusen Takk's MacPack v2.0
Thanks for this, especially the gathering of CAMeLots. I've never tried them because of the hassle they looked like. Because of that, I have a couple questions:

1) I don't see a SPAM folder, but SPAM seems to work. Is that incorporated into/with CAM?

2) The large CAM buildings popping up are dependent on Stage, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Couple of questions about the MacPack:

1) The trees (I'm pretty sure) are killing my performance. Happen to know of a relatively easy way to remove just the tree controller?

2) My new city I started (new region) is up to about 50,000 pop and has zero cars. Like zero, everyone walks, even halfway across a large tile. Doesn't seem to be a practical problem yet, but is that just from NAM being cranked up to Ultra traffic or something?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

benzine posted:

A new interesting map. 17 x 16 big cities, but you can cut it,
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30142-humboldt-map/

You guys that were talking about wanting mostly flat maps, check out one mentioned in the discussion of that Humboldt one, called "Madison County".

Also the Brasilia map is pretty darn flat, but it's not huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tindahbawx posted:

Now all I need is some guide similar to "How not to make Grid Based Hellscape Cities for Dummies".

Is there anyone who does good guides on making your cities aesthetically pleasing?

In addition to the large-scale things (people would settle near the mouth of a river, how does my rail line connect all the tiles, etc) this idea may help: Start with nothing but multiple 1000 person villages on each (non-small) tile, each radiating out farms, and grow each one separately. Got a new intersection in the middle of all those farms? Plop down a dozen buildings there. You know, 10 houses, a gas station, and a bar -- that sort of thing. Or maybe a small factory and two dozen trailers (and a bar).

Eventually these things will grow together, and there's little chance they'll line up, so there goes the grid.

Also, as tough (and blasphemous) as it can be for some, learn not to fear empty space. If it helps, think that even cookie-cutter (low-density, at least) developments don't have all the lots sold and buildings built at once.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread