Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

So i just downloaded all the PEG CDK3 port stuff. I have all the dependencies I need for it to work, yet when I build any of them there are tons of missing textures/props. My plugins folder is pretty jumbled, and it's possible that I have some duplicate files that were re-released in the super-ultra-gigantor-megapacks, that are causing the problem, but I'm not sure. I only found one file that was also in one of the megapacks, and got rid of it, but it made no difference. Does the CDK3 stuff need to be in specific folders to work or something? I've spent an hour now trying to get it to work with no luck...Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread :downs:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I had a weird glitch pop up a couple days ago. A 3-4 block wide section of my city, spanning the entire side of a 100% built-up large map, lost most of its props. Trees, stoplights, stop signs, parked cars, etc, and about 25% of building models (downloaded ones where the buildings are props), just disappeared, across an entire swath of one of my cities. I tried restarting multiple times, but it didn't fix anything. The lots all still work and have jobs/are functioning properly, they just look barren as gently caress due to the missing props (no brown boxes, just emptiness). If I demolish them and rebuild them they come back looking correct, and the street trees, stop lights, and stop signs all reappear if I rebuild the roads. It's as if part of my city just decided "OK, to the east of this line, we will no longer have any more props!!" :colbert:

Anyone else ever encounter this glitch?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know if this problem is common or just dependent on some random plugin conflict that I don't know about, (i did find a few people on simtropolis complaining about it too), but I figured I'd do a little public service announcement:

Do NOT build multiple functioning seaports of different kinds, unless you want your city to crash to desktop whenever you try to load it again. Non-functioning seaport pieces are fine, but if you have functioning seaports of different kinds it apparently causes a glitch with the seaport controller file or some such, and kills your city. I found out the hard way when I built a CDK3 container seaport and a CDK3 break-bulk seaport in a sizable city I had been working on. I spent a couple hours working on a massive port complex (inspired by ExplodingSims' awesome one a couple posts above) only to end up having to delete the entire city and start over. It's something that can sneak up on you, because functioning ports of different kinds work fine together with no crashing until you quit and then try to reload, which is when you get the irreversible CTD problem.

edit: and now I just built a new port with only one functioning seaport type (the break bulk one), and it all worked fine for a little while, with no CTDs on loading....until it randomly crashed while I was playing, and now it does CTD whenever I try to reload it. So I tried recreating the same port in a different blank city, with all the same buildings/seaports/port pieces plopped down, to try and pinpoint the problem, but I can't get it to crash. The other city with all the same poo poo still CTDs on loading though, of course. This loving game :negative:

Be careful with port stuff, it is of the devil.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 29, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CitrusFrog posted:

It's crashing long before I've got to the point of placing rail stations. All I've done so far is place my power plant at the edge of the map, I go to lay a bog standard road down beside it and it crashes out. I just checked, and it's doing it regardless of where I lay the road, I placed four road sections in the middle of nowhere and it CTDed again.

Edit: I just uninstalled every mod I had installed and tried again, and it still does it. However, I switched from Fhuzo back to the tutorial region and it let me slap road down without issue.

I have a similar problem with the Fhuzo region, except for me it CTDs whenever I do anything all. It crashes when I lay road, rail, build a power plant, powerlines, do some terraforming...anything. Basically, the second I interact with the terrain in any way, it crashes. So all I can do with the Fhuzo region is just look at how pretty it is.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Looks like the arcologies are back :monocle:

It has over 1.7 million residents, making it the largest city I've ever built in SC4. It's polluted, crowded, has high crime, and the healthcare sucks, but the public transit is great!

The region view:

Up the river, to a smaller city:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 18, 2014

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone had it where a zone tool just "breaks"? I can't build industrial zones anymore... I map out the yellow tiles, but there are no arrows on them and nothing grows.

Industrial zones don't have arrows. Unlike commercial and residential zones, industrial zones only need a single tile to be touching a street in order to grow. As for why you're not seeing any growth...maybe there's just no demand? Have you checked the power and water supply too? Try lowering taxes too. That said, once my cities get large enough (a few hundred thousand residents) i find that it takes forever for new industrial stuff to grow, even if there's demand.

benzine posted:

Amazing shot! Really feels like a city. What a great region Rah!

Thanks! I still have a lot to build though, I've barely even started yet on suburban and agricultural areas. I'm thinking the region will hit 5 million residents by the time I'm done with it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Baby Cakes posted:

Looks great. Using a mod pack or your own mishmash?

I downloaded a mod pack a couple years ago from the old SC4 thread, and have been adding stuff ever since (4.5 GB so far).

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jugderdemidiin posted:

There are a few floating around, but this is by far the best one ever made by someone.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19711-riverrock-shopping-centre/

Yeah that one's really good looking. Here's another nice mall lot, but with 13,000+ jobs: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2570

*PUNCH* posted:

The screenshots in here have got me playing again as well! Anyone mind if I add a few to the OP?

You can use whatever screenshots I post, if you want.

Baby Cakes posted:

Any you've added that you would recommend? Since the Mac version is out a buddy of mine is going to start playing so I'm going to get the itch to build another region.

Definitely get NAM and road top transit stops. I like making my cities kind of realistic, so I downloaded a ton of wall to wall buildings (as in the walls are at the edge of the tile...rowhouses, office buildings, tenements, etc) which make medium and high density areas look better, as well as warehouses and large factories to make industrial areas look better. If you download port stuff be careful with it, because building multiple working seaports of different types will cause the city to crash upon loading, with no fix. There's a ton of cool stuff to download, just look around (and have fun finding 5 billion dependencies :suicide:).

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice job with the projects, I've always had trouble getting a mass of them to grow like that.

It took a long time for some of them to grow. I also didn't zone for them until the city was already huge and had a poo poo ton of jobs, which probably helps.

M.Ciaster posted:

Goddamn, man. How long'd it take you to make this? Every time I see an amazing SC4 city I feel like coming back to the game, but then I just kinda lose my drive after a few hours and end up uninstalling it.

Maybe a year? A couple hundred hours of gameplay I'd guess.

Stalins Moustache posted:

That city looks great! :D
Any way you could upload that mod pack?

Thanks! And I don't know about uploading it...is there is anywhere I can upload 4.5 GB for free? If so, I'll do it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Brotato Broth posted:

Woo, regioin postin' time.

pictured: terrifyingly immature city names

Here's the one I'm working on right now.

Nice looking region! It must be a long and hard trip getting between Dongsbay and Cock Rock :downsrim:

Brotato Broth posted:

In hindsight I should've varied up the terrain a bit more, but it's such a pain in the rear end trying to build anything at all on slopes without adjacent buildings and pipelines demolishing themselves mysteriously.

It is? I build on slopes all the time and never have mysteriously disappearing pipes or buildings. Do I have some terrain mod without even realizing it?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

HappyHelmet posted:

I try to imagine when I am doing all of this early stuff that it is still the turn of the century. Nobody really gives a poo poo about pollution and your only options for power are really Coal/Oil since Hydro isn't in the game. It really helps with making your communities look more realistic.

I kind of do this too, though I just pretend that my cities are rust belt style cities that never de-industrialized. Settle down citizens, living next to an incinerator/industrial zone builds character! It's also a convenient way to keep cities from filling up with high wealth residential, and to force rowhouses and tenements to grow.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I have finally entered the realm of high density. :getin:

ie. get out smelly poors

Nice city! But high density areas can be full of smelly poors too:

:frogsiren:

Here's the original post, if you missed it, and want to see the rest of my dystopian megaslum.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Taeke posted:

One of the first things I do when I start a game is turn off those annoying car icons that want you to click them.

How do you do this? I've been playing this game for years, always wanted to do that, and never knew it was possible. :downs:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I usually only get CTDs while zooming-in/out, and usually that's only when it's running at top speed, and especially if I have it in night mode. Size of the city or how gridded it is doesn't seem to make a difference for me. It also seems to crash more often when i'm building light residential (maybe i have a screwed plugin file somewhere), and it sometimes CTDs when I save the game too :argh: . At least the crashing is reduced dramatically when you limit the game to only one core.

The old PC version of this game needs to be optimized so bad.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Poizen Jam posted:

Zeether: Make sure to actually use Avenues and Roads properly. Don't just plop down a road for every street. Once that occurs, you should start seeing obvious places for a downtown core. If there's one thing I've noticed from newbie builders, they also tend to overzone higher density.

I'll use my city as an example:

Hamilton, Ontario

I actually really like this image because it's really easy to identify the stratification of the zoning densities and how the transportation system serrves the city.

A few things to note:
  • The downtown core is a short distance from the main highway
  • The downtown core exists near the meeting point of the railway, bus depot, and the large, high capacity one way streets (King/Main st)
  • Most of the roads are small side streets- the equivalent of SC4 streets
  • The larger capacity roads and avenues appear at the end of each 'block', every 6-8 roads
  • Most importantly, the downtown core of buildings higher than 10 stories constitutes only a few blocks
  • There are way more greenspaces than you'd expect/your average player builds. Wall-to-wall zoned grids are unrealistic.
  • Industry is placed a fairly comfortable distance away
  • Box stores and malls along major road ways in lower density areas on the outskirts.
  • Commercial parks, aside from large offices, are peppered throughout the city usually adjacent major transportation networks.

Even in a 500k+ city, the downtown core is a few city blocks with a handful of 20+ story buildings. The majority of buildings are still low density. Medium density buildings tend to occur near the intersections of major roads. High density skyscraper zones should be fed by all of your mass transit

Also city cores are often located on a coastline (such as where there's a nice harbor/bay) or a river, or at the confluence of multiple rivers. And you can often find light industrial zones (mostly warehouses and such) close to many downtown areas. Industrial areas are often sprawled along sections of waterfront too. And don't forget to throw parking lots in, even when you're trying to make a very densely populated city.

Poizen Jam posted:

Wall-to-wall zoned grids are unrealistic.

Not in the United States of American Freedomland, they aren't :911:

Some aerial photos of SF, for example:

like 95% the city is an unbroken street grid with wall-to-wall construction. I'm pretty sure you can find large swathes of wall-to-wall gridded areas all over Canada and many other parts of the world too.

edit: though I guess no city is a single grid covering literally everything, maybe that's what you meant. In SF for example, there are a few different grids that meet at weird angles...but almost the entire city is definitely on a street grid, and it' s almost all wall-to-wall construction.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

So my city seems to be hitting a CAP somewhere, but I have no idea how to read this. Can anyone shed some light on it?

(Click for huge)

I would say you need a lot more $ and $$ commercial jobs, and no new $$$ jobs for a while, based on the city's large population of $ and $$ residents and low population of $$$ residents. Of course the game is really lacking when it comes to buildings that provide large amounts of $ commercial jobs, so it helps to download a bunch of $ buildings. There are a couple large office buildings you can get that have thousands of $ jobs, so if you grow/plop enough of those and grow/plop enough smaller low wealth commercial buildings, plus do the same with $$ commercial buildings, it should help kick your city's population in the rear end and get it growing again. That's been my experience at least...it's helped me create giant dystopian cities with over 1 million low wealth residents, a few hundred thousands medium wealth ones, and just a few tens of thousands of $$$ residents, with hundreds of thousands of low and medium wealth jobs. I always still lack on jobs for low wealth residents (just like real life!), but instead of having the 20,000 $ jobs that the game likes to grow by itself without me intentionally reducing land value and also plopping stuff, I'll have like 200,000.

The game likes to build tons of high wealth stuff if you provide everything your sims want, so you may have to depress land values to get the kinds of businesses (or residences) to grow that you need: build recycling centers, incinerators (small 1x2 ones that blend in), or small industrial areas (even if it's just a single factory or a warehouse or two squeezed in between a highrise district and a freeway) near where you want said businesses/residences, neglect police and healthcare coverage, maybe education coverage too (though I find police, healthcare, and pollution are the main factors), don't saturate the area with parks and plazas, etc. Higher wealth buildings do provide a small amount of lower wealth jobs in addition to the high wealth jobs, but I'm assuming it's just not enough by itself.

Here are some good $ commercial buildings to download:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1950 (2300 $ jobs)
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1946 (8800 $ jobs)
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1337 (a giant warehouse with 2900 cs$ jobs)

Also download NYBT buildings such as these, which are 1x2 and have 100+ cs $ jobs each (plus wall to wall buildings like that look cool and :spergin: realistic :spergin: and vanilla sc4 is really lacking in that department):

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27026-nybt-chinatown-shops-ii/

And here's a $$ commercial tower with 13,000 jobs:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28239-nybt-rockefeller-international-building/

But often all you need to do is work on a neighboring city a bit, let it run for a few months or years, and then the previous city that was stuck in a rut will start growing again.

edit: i don't know how to read half of that census poo poo either (the projections/drives stuff is confusing). I just use it to look at the number of residents of each wealth level, and make sure I have what looks like enough jobs for them.

edit #2: another great way to force certain wealth levels to grow/not grow, which affects the entire city, is to just lower or increase taxes until the demand grows or shrinks to a desirable level.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Poizen Jam posted:

So how many folks abuse the 'make historical' feature or just plain plop buildings?

I don't think that would be too unrealistic even if used- generally speaking demolitions have to be approved, correct?

Yeah I abuse the hell out of the historical feature...probably 90% of my cities are marked historical. Gotta keep my row houses from turning into mansions for fancy folks.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Curvature of Earth posted:

For the record, while I like the look of it, Shibuya Station is bizarre:

I don't care if it's based on a real station, four rail lines on one side (how do you even fit four el-train lines in a city dense enough to need four of them?) plus two lines and a weird perpendicular one coming out the other end is silly and hard to work with.

Tokyo is insane...biggest city in the world. Wikipedia has this to say about the metro system:

quote:

Public transport within Greater Tokyo is dominated by the world's most extensive urban rail network (as of May 2014, the article Tokyo rail list lists 158 lines, 48 operators, 4,714.5 km of operational track and 2,210 stations [although stations recounted for each operator]) of clean and efficient surface trains and subways run by a variety of operators, with buses, trams, monorails, and other modes supporting the railway lines.[1] The above figures do not include any Shinkansen services. However, because each operator manages only its own portion, the system is managed as a collection of rail networks rather than a single unit; many operators have ongoing upgrades and expansions underway. 40 million passengers (counted again when passing through a gate and not simply a platform) use the rail system daily (14.6 billion annually) with the subway representing 22% of that figure with 8.66 million using it daily.[2] Extensive through services for seamless and rapid interconnections are also a feature of the network: the Narita-Haneda service run integrates track of 6 separate and independent operators. There are 0.61 commuter rail stations per square mile in the Tokyo area, or one for each 1.6 square miles of developed land area. Commuter rail ridership is very dense, at 6 million people per line mile annually, with the highest among automotive urban areas.

Elevated traingasm incoming :dong::

Canuck-Errant posted:

And that's why I'm glad my mouse has a free-scrolling mousewheel toggle. :suicide:

My mouse wheel just broke :suicide:

Poizen Jam posted:

Just don't accidently nudge your mouse out of the menu, or you may crash your game from rapid zooming in/out :v:

The wonders of Sim City 4 :negative:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

kinnas posted:

Then the next day you wake up, the dopamine is gone and all you have left is shame and a deep hollow feeling inside. :geno:

Wait, you mean you take breaks from sim city 4? Like with sleep and stuff? :shepface:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Poizen Jam posted:

I can't pin-point when it started, but I believe I encountered the problem after plopping the Marina Reward plop from PEG's custom marina set, which I believe is part of the CDK3 suite. I have used the CDK ploppables for well over a year now without a hitch, so this sucks.

I thought it was just the over-all size of my plugins folder, which is approaching 4gb.

Yeah, it's apparently the CDK3-oww2 related stuff that triggers prop pox (among other things, perhaps), once your save file gets to a certain size. I had it happen a few years ago to a large city with about a million residents that I had worked on for a long time, which had the suspected CDK3 lots in it, and most of the other cities in that region also had those lots and were infected too, but had no symptoms yet. And seeing as it's apparently irreversible once you save the game with those lots built, I decided to abandon that region...it put me off playing the game for a year. I haven't used any of those suspected CDK3 lots in my cities since then, and haven't had any problems yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Also, you gotta love how Pegasus denies that his lots were causing it, despite evidence to the contrary. "I am an expert and prolific Sim City 4 modder, how dare you disrespect my supreme knowledge and skill. Your well-supported hypothesis is clearly wrong, there are no glitches to see here" :smug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

That waterfall and coal mine are awesome.

Poizen Jam posted:

I just can't get over the awful, awful hill airport in the second screenshot though.

An awful hill airport that launches the planes directly into the downtown skyscrapers. How unrealistic :spergin:

Maybe it's actually an Al-Qaeda training center, not a normal airport.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

The solution to not building in a grid is to not build in a grid. Just look on google earth and see what an actual city looks like and build that, usually I'd go for a main artery with neighborhoods connecting to that.

Since when are cities built on a grid unrealistic? North America is covered with them, as are other parts of the world.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Keetron posted:

So yeah, everybody playing Cities:Skylines I take it?

Nah, I just took a break from playing sperglord city simulator so that i could play sperglord space simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Nope, I'm talking about Elite: Dangerous. I think EVE is too much even for me. Kerbal Space Program looks cool though.

• Locked thread