Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

HGH posted:

I believe the storyline was LET'S MAKE ETNA RELEVANT AGAIN OOOOH SHE'S GOT A SUPER DEMON BLOODLINE AND AN EVIL BROTHER. Also some shenanigans about being overlord,etc etc...

Disgaea D2: I was really hoping for more Captain Gordon, but he never showed up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

HGH posted:

Also some shenanigans about being overlord,etc etc...
They say Overlord so often you could probably play a drinking game based on when they don't say it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

If you have the money a PS4 is a pretty solid console and pretty affordable. If you don't have the disposable income wait until you can get some used on the cheap in another year or two. The games will still be there waiting for you.

yeah I'm basically waiting for there to be enough exclusive games for it, that's the litmus test we use around here.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

yeah I'm basically waiting for there to be enough exclusive games for it, that's the litmus test we use around here.

Its still unbelievably stupid to me that Disgaea 5 is ps4 only. To be fair it is the most interesting looking next gen console so far in my opinion, bloodborne anda couple other exclusives look good.

Also agreed that Disgaea D2 is a pale imitation of the original as far as writing and story goes. Luckily the gameplay of D2 is really good.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Brasseye posted:

Its still unbelievably stupid to me that Disgaea 5 is ps4 only.

We should be glad at all that such a niche property still gets reliably ported to Western markets.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Its still unbelievably stupid to me that Disgaea 5 is ps4 only.

I felt that way with 3 when it went ps3.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/29/fan-translation-makai-kingdom-psp-nears-completion/

Hooray.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

That's pretty great news.

I was going to post wondering about a patch for La Pucelle: Ragnarok, then I googled it and found that game already had a patch. Turns out it was finished just last September. I've gotta check out both of these now.

maou shoujo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 30, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

maou shoujo posted:

That's pretty great news.

I was going to post asking wondering about a patch La Pucelle: Ragnarok, then I googled it and found that game already had a patch. Turns out it was finished just last September. I've gotta check out both of these now.

Aw hell yeah, I gotta look into these.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

5er posted:

We should be glad at all that such a niche property still gets reliably ported to Western markets.

Very true actually, I'm happy the games have enough of a following in the west that theyre worthwhile to translate.

Mokinokaro posted:

I felt that way with 3 when it went ps3.

I would have felt the same way but 3 was the first one I played.

So is Makai Kingdom meant to be good? Similar battle system to the Disgaea games?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brasseye posted:

So is Makai Kingdom meant to be good? Similar battle system to the Disgaea games?

Makai Kingdom is basically Phantom Brave's unit movement system mixed with a Disgaea-ish battle system. I never beat it but it's really cool, and it's kind of a shame that its port never got an official localization since the dub was actually really good and I'm guessing a fan-patch won't have it. Although I heard it runs like crap anyhow, so maybe we're not missing out a ton once someone LPs the Petta mode stuff so we know what the hell's the deal with her.

Kitten Baubles
May 10, 2008
Just started playing Disgaea 4, does anyone have any general advice/tips about what I should be doing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

throw valvatorez at things

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The La Pucelle Ragnarok translation is just the La Pucelle one reinserted with the ugliest font imaginable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Last Celebration posted:

Makai Kingdom is basically Phantom Brave's unit movement system mixed with a Disgaea-ish battle system. I never beat it but it's really cool, and it's kind of a shame that its port never got an official localization since the dub was actually really good and I'm guessing a fan-patch won't have it. Although I heard it runs like crap anyhow, so maybe we're not missing out a ton once someone LPs the Petta mode stuff so we know what the hell's the deal with her.

Makai Kingdom had my favorite NIS dub barring MAYBE disgaea 4, but I absolutely hated the gameplay and how they managed to make defensive characters even more worthless than in mainline Disgaea games

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Makai Kingdom had my favorite NIS dub barring MAYBE disgaea 4, but I absolutely hated the gameplay and how they managed to make defensive characters even more worthless than in mainline Disgaea games

Yeah pretty much. I loved the wilder variety of classes and weapons and even the use of vehicles, but the radius-based movement and attack system is so awful.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah pretty much. I loved the wilder variety of classes and weapons and even the use of vehicles, but the radius-based movement and attack system is so awful.

Did Makai Kingdom do it differently from Phantom Brave? I was a lot younger when I played PB, but I recall really enjoying the movement system, especially playing around with different surfaces and getting all the way across the map in one turn if the ground was slippery.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

Did Makai Kingdom do it differently from Phantom Brave? I was a lot younger when I played PB, but I recall really enjoying the movement system, especially playing around with different surfaces and getting all the way across the map in one turn if the ground was slippery.

It was pretty much the same system, but summoning your units worked differently because you could put them in buildings to summon several units at once.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Man, I forgot how grueling getting a weird dungeon in Phantom Brave is. I spent probably an hour today cycling at the Dungeon Monk and came up with nothing. All I want is to be able to create bottle mails, game!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

edgeman83 posted:

Man, I forgot how grueling getting a weird dungeon in Phantom Brave is. I spent probably an hour today cycling at the Dungeon Monk and came up with nothing. All I want is to be able to create bottle mails, game!

If you build a tower of units/objects on top of the house or tree in the base map, you can get various rewards for reaching record heights. The second one of these is a free bottlemail that unlocks the class. The easiest time to do this is before the throwing tutorial so your characters won't pick each other up and walk around. If you're already past that you can probably still get it by piling up small objects.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

maou shoujo posted:

If you build a tower of units/objects on top of the house or tree in the base map, you can get various rewards for reaching record heights. The second one of these is a free bottlemail that unlocks the class. The easiest time to do this is before the throwing tutorial so your characters won't pick each other up and walk around. If you're already past that you can probably still get it by piling up small objects.

Trees work very well for this purpose.

I remember taking the time to give all my people Healing Steps and the thing that raises EXP gains. :)

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

maou shoujo posted:

At least on the PS2 and Wii versions, getting the free bottlemail doesn't let you make any more of them so I still needed to kill 20 of them in a random dungeon. Luckily I finally got a weird dungeon after another 45 minutes of looking... unfortunately it was few enemies so I had to go through 35 floors to get the 20 bottlemails I needed. But now I will never have to do it again(until I decide to play the game again in another couple of years)!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Holy poo poo, combining the cramped item worlds and "everyone is a bomb" cheat shop settings is amazing. It's like throwing nuclear prinnies. :allears:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just started Disgaea D2. What's the quickest way I can break this poo poo over my knee right out of the gate?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Static Rook posted:

Just started Disgaea D2. What's the quickest way I can break this poo poo over my knee right out of the gate?

Beat the game quickly and get into post game. The Cheat Shop has the vast majority of its potential locked behind progression, so trying to generate a lot of XP and Mana is kind of pointless before you can set it to a high multiplier. The first few postgame fights are pretty easy too, so you can get a chunk of extra Cheat Points not long after beating the game. It's also worth noting you can find Statisticians sitting around on items you find randomly rather than having to reverse pirate for them like the past few games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The new character creation screen.

Looks neat. Can't find the source though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait is there weapon resistance now?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is that costing HL to create characters instead of Mana, too? Huh.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That looks really slick, I like it. It's a little strange seeing HP, STR, etc mixed in with all the Japanese.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Static Rook posted:

Ok there is this level that is all Dragons. You can throw all of them together for a super high level dragon. Then stack everyone who doesn't die to the super dragon and team attack him. Team attacks will get around the dragons level advantage. Just this one spot will break the rest of the game for you but not the endgame of course.

I can't wait for ps4 disgaea, 100 charcters off the bench at once omg numbers and towers.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tenzarin posted:

Ok there is this level that is all Dragons. You can throw all of them together for a super high level dragon. Then stack everyone who doesn't die to the super dragon and team attack him. Team attacks will get around the dragons level advantage. Just this one spot will break the rest of the game for you but not the endgame of course.

I can't wait for ps4 disgaea, 100 charcters off the bench at once omg numbers and towers.

I hope we get a thing where we can combine multiple towers and do like cube attacks.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

HGH posted:

The new character creation screen.

Looks neat. Can't find the source though.

What's that new monster at the top right? Has its class name been revealed yet?

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

maou shoujo posted:

What's that new monster at the top right? Has its class name been revealed yet?

The name of that class is imp.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I wonder if the weapon resistance is meant to break the "Power level one guy and go apeshit" strategy that a lot of people end up doing.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Deki posted:

I wonder if the weapon resistance is meant to break the "Power level one guy and go apeshit" strategy that a lot of people end up doing.

It'll probably work out to where you get your strongest character to be good at everything at once, like Dimension 2's endgame.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Might also be that you'll have options for completely ignoring weapon defenses through some evilities. Ideally it's not that big of a deal though, otherwise magic will probably end up being way easier to kill things with without having to dive far to learn every element.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh boy, weapon mastery is back! :negative:

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Weapon mastery won't be that big of a problem, the cheat shop will be coming back as well.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh boy, weapon mastery is back! :negative:

...I have positive feelings on weapon mastery...I guess i am a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

...I have positive feelings on weapon mastery...I guess i am a monster.

I'm right with you. The whole using mana to buy/boost skills led to some ridiculous inflation in 3 and 4.

• Locked thread