Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is this Polygon video new? It's a half hour of a dude with overpowered units talking over gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Well I've seen it before but it hasn't been posted here so it should be good. I like how it shows that skill boosting increases the base power of the skill rather than just a percentage increase. I'll be nice to take a move from rank E to A. Also apparently skills now go from G to S in terms of power ranking.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
In D4V is it worth it to use generics past a certain point, or do all the story and dlc characters eclipse them? In D2 I liked to run a healer and a skull but that's about it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Million Ghosts posted:

In D4V is it worth it to use generics past a certain point, or do all the story and dlc characters eclipse them? In D2 I liked to run a healer and a skull but that's about it.

I ended up with a Galaxy Skull as part of my main team, but yeah it was mostly Gig, Raspberyl and Priere.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Generics actually get their own skills, and higher tiers let them catch up to the story and DLC characters stat wise eventually. I think it's probably preference, but the DLC characters are going to be stronger right out of the gate if you want to be lazy like I did.

I think D4V also had the option to promote generics instead of going through the reincarnation cycle, so you won't have to level them up from 1 again every time you get a new tier.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erg posted:

Generics actually get their own skills, and higher tiers let them catch up to the story and DLC characters stat wise eventually. I think it's probably preference, but the DLC characters are going to be stronger right out of the gate if you want to be lazy like I did.

I think D4V also had the option to promote generics instead of going through the reincarnation cycle, so you won't have to level them up from 1 again every time you get a new tier.

I can confirm that D4V has that option, it was very convenient.

Of course, I wound up reincarnating my lead generic about fifteen times anyway (and I stopped long before maxing her), but before getting to that point it was nice.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Alright, so what exactly happens when you use the time traveler in D4V? Does it just reset story mode progress? Am I losing anything from my characters, etc?

Didn't know about getting all the epilogues in one run so I'll probably be going through a second time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Alright, so what exactly happens when you use the time traveler in D4V? Does it just reset story mode progress? Am I losing anything from my characters, etc?

Didn't know about getting all the epilogues in one run so I'll probably be going through a second time.

Story characters and some Dark Assembly unlocks are reset. You'll have to get your DLC characters again too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So Disgaea 5 comes out tomorrow in Japan, so we should be getting gameplay videos and seeing all the new content very soon. Hooray!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have a boxed copy arriving sometime next week, so I'll post a trip report of my own too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So how is the Disgaea 5? Going to wait for the English release.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alright game, I give up. You win.

Trip report forthcoming.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

FractalSandwich posted:

Trip report forthcoming.

What, only 6 movement?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mithaldu posted:

What, only 6 movement?

It's probably on some square surrounded 10-deep in instant death hex panels and lobbing screen length ranged aoes across the map

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's HD Asagi after she decided to stop messing around and start winning.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

Trip report forthcoming.

You know, my favorite thing about the first Disgaea was when you got your numbers so high they bled over into the "Str", "Spd" etc labels, which really made it feel like breaking the game. Putting 99999999 caps on everything really wrecks that feeling and makes it feel less like breaking it and more like just grinding to a predefined endpoint.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

You know, my favorite thing about the first Disgaea was when you got your numbers so high they bled over into the "Str", "Spd" etc labels, which really made it feel like breaking the game. Putting 99999999 caps on everything really wrecks that feeling and makes it feel less like breaking it and more like just grinding to a predefined endpoint.

After seeing DD2's 1 billion stat cap, seeing the cap at 100 mil in other games just seems... underwhelming. I want even bigger numbers, NIS, not smaller. Also, for anyone who's played Disgaea 5 at this point: Is the postgame a oneshot fest like in D3 and D4, or is it more like DD2 where DEF and RES actually MEAN something.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
First, I should say: I might not play Disgaea for the same reasons most people play Disgaea. I'm mainly in it for the main campaign, and to a lesser extent the postgame bosses. I don't give much of a poo poo about the characters or story or dialogue at all, I have no interest in making my numbers bigger just for the sake of it, and I pretty intensely dislike the Item World. Keeping that in mind: I like Disgaea 5 a whole lot. I think it's the best game in the series by a huge margin. There's too much cool new poo poo for me to possibly mention it all, but here's some of it:

Characters can equip two weapons, and automatically switch between them to use both sets of weapon skills. You normally only get the stats from one of your weapons, but a high-end (and fairly obnoxious to learn) secondary Evility lets you dual-wield, though it doesn't give you two attacks per turn like dual-wielding Magichange weapons in 4:

Secondary Evilities themselves have been reworked quite a bit. Now every character starts with 5 secondary Evility slots, and they can get many more. Only very minor Evilities or ones with a major drawback take only 1 slot, and the most powerful ones take as many as 5 or 6:

The Character World has been removed and replaced with something completely different that just happens to have the same name. There are a few tricks to it, but by and large it's much quicker and more convenient than before. The mana costs are generally much cheaper, and you can make as many trips per Reincarnation as you want:

Lastly, the fun cosmetic features that you previously had to unlock through Item World Mystery Rooms are just there; the functions of the Music Room and Character Painter are automatically made available from different NPCs very early on. You can also quite easily unlock a tool that lets you apply your own palette shifts on top of that, which is nifty as hell:

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 26, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That all sounds really cool, especially the custom recolors.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

FractalSandwich posted:

Lastly, the fun cosmetic features that you previously had to unlock through Item World Mystery Rooms are just there; the functions of the Music Room and Character Painter are automatically made available from different NPCs very early on. You can also quite easily unlock a tool that lets you apply your own palette shifts on top of that, which is nifty as hell:

I've been wanting a feature like this since way back in the first Disgaea.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
So when this is released in the west this fall I can just remote play this on my Vita right? Always felt like these games are much better fit for portables.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh hell yes. Normally this isn't the sort of thing I'd care about but I like the idea of making my special uber dudes look all glowy or color-code groups of characters that are built for different purposes. Or just make everything a garish yellow/purple color scheme.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
One cosmetic feature I'd really like to see in future games would be the ability to make custom job titles. I simulated it in 4 through long character names, like Space Pirate Meialin the thief or Drama Queen Elena the professor. It would be super rad to be able to actually enter Space Pirate or Drama Queen into the Class box.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

One cosmetic feature I'd really like to see in future games would be the ability to make custom job titles. I simulated it in 4 through long character names, like Space Pirate Meialin the thief or Drama Queen Elena the professor. It would be super rad to be able to actually enter Space Pirate or Drama Queen into the Class box.

It would be cool, I agree. And now that colors are completely decoupled from class and rank, and the evility system is moving towards skill points now, the classes are starting to get less sharply defined. I'd love to see a class creator, where you snap in a model, voice pack, and then build out your stats/weapon profs/resistances/primary evility as you like.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really like that mario party looking character world

i literally never did any of the character world poo poo because it seemed infuriatingly time consuming, but now i might because that looks really fun and cool

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just bought Disgaea 4 (PS3 version) and Before I Play doesn't have poo poo about it. Any hot tips or weird old tricks I need to know?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
have fun as best you can. you're going to be doing a lot of grinding, but enjoy watching numbers get enormous!

there's not any real hot tips, everything is viable

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just bought Disgaea 4 (PS3 version) and Before I Play doesn't have poo poo about it. Any hot tips or weird old tricks I need to know?

Don't update the game at all until you take advantage of its duping glitch to get as many statisticians/other innocents as you want.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

If you ever feel like you're stuck at a point in the story before the postgame, although levels would help, it's probably gear. Don't think you need to grind to 9999 right away, taking some dips into the item world every now and then works fine for D4.

Level up your skills. SP is plentiful, and it makes them WAY stronger.

The story mode characters are fairly strong, but Valvatorez will likely stay your strongest unit. Fenrich falls off compared to other fist users because it takes him a while to get the good fist skills. The other characters can keep up though.

Unlocking classes requires getting other classes to the appropriate level. I don't think there's any you want to rush in D4, but I always rush Magic Knights cause they're my favorite class.

If you do want to grind, 5-2 is the best early spot. The level 99 trick (level 99 enemies give ~level 323 worth of experience because of the weird EXP curve in Disgaea) works there, and the enemies are level 99 after passing 8 stronger enemy bills.

If you want to force a bill through the evil council the fusion trick still works. If you throw enemy monsters together they fuse, with the stronger one gaining the levels, so if you get a high-level senator on your side you can throw weaker ones who disagree at them and when they're all gone you'll push the bill through.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FractalSandwich posted:

I like Disgaea 5 a whole lot. I think it's the best game in the series by a huge margin. There's too much cool new poo poo for me to possibly mention it all, but here's some of it:

Do the characters now have weapon resistance like I thought one screenshot of character creation showed?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just made a thief in D4, gave her a gun and, uh...jeez. Waaaay weaker than I expected. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Oh there we go, just needed to get to L4. :wtc:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't update the game at all until you take advantage of its duping glitch to get as many statisticians/other innocents as you want.

This is the only real advice you need if you want to go to late post game. The pre patch dupe glitch will save you hours upon hours if you even care. But you won't have access to a lot of dlc you may want while doing it

Honestly it really depends how far you plan to go down this path.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Do the characters now have weapon resistance like I thought one screenshot of character creation showed?
Yep. They're never a huge deal, really, but they're another thing to consider.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just made a thief in D4, gave her a gun and, uh...jeez. Waaaay weaker than I expected. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Oh there we go, just needed to get to L4. :wtc:

The best gun class imo is professor and they have some really nice support skills to boot.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Alright, so getting into postgame in Dark Hero Days is completely overwhelming. Is this a good roadmap? Where do I fit in reincarnations/unlocking T6?
Also, what's a good 4 or 5-person party comp? Will something like Adell, Laharl, T6 Male Fighter, T6 Rune Knight work, or will I need a healer?

Maha fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 1, 2015

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I'm playing Disgaea 3 Vita and I'm wondering if there is anyway to get a decent amount of Mana, because it seems like it takes forever to get enough to even upgrade a skill. I'm up to where you find Almaz' Princess, if that helps.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
For anyone thinking of buying Disgaea D2, it is on sale on the Playstation Store for 66% off as part of their Golden Week sale(through May 4th). Here is a link to the store page. Kinda sucks none of the dlc is on sale, but I will take what I can get.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Food Guy posted:

I'm playing Disgaea 3 Vita and I'm wondering if there is anyway to get a decent amount of Mana, because it seems like it takes forever to get enough to even upgrade a skill. I'm up to where you find Almaz' Princess, if that helps.

Mana Potion III? I'm playing a lot in the item world, so that's where I seen the shop for it (the Skull Mage NPC should sell it). It gives me 300 mana (per potion).

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

edgeman83 posted:

For anyone thinking of buying Disgaea D2, it is on sale on the Playstation Store for 66% off as part of their Golden Week sale(through May 4th). Here is a link to the store page. Kinda sucks none of the dlc is on sale, but I will take what I can get.

How long is the turnaround time between the release and the portable rerelease, again? Normally I wait for the Vita version but 66% off is slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

D:D2 is a really good game, my favorite of the 5 core games. Having the Cheat Shop, non-reset promotions, and so on is nice, and I like the story. Plus the stat absorption in LoC and Rasetsu make the endgame both bigger and easier, as well as not having that stupid nested-random-drop Assemble the Flonzor garbage from D4.

I recommend it wholly.

• Locked thread