Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I bought Disgaea 2 (the PS2 classic, as I lack either a PSP or a Vita) on a whim with the $10 of PSN credit I got last month. What's the best way to go about playing this if I've never played a Disgaea game before?

Pick whichever characters you like best and go with it. If you ever get stuck, try the Item world for some grinding/equipment/cash to gear your party.
I wouldn't suggest reincarnating party members until you find a nice solid place to level them back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard to call it bonus content when it's basically the second half of the game. Is the upside down castle in Castlevania SOTN bonus content?
Disgaea's postgame is mostly just you grinding until you reach a certain level of strength to beat the next bonus boss. You just go as far as you want, then quit once you're sick of it and watch the rest of the bosses on youtube.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 10, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Smello posted:

I can't tell if Fuka's riding Desco or just standing behind her, but it stands to reason she could be riding. Now I just need to know whether fused monsters are still a thing and whether they're rideable.

I don't just want to ride monsters. I want to ride GIANT FUCKOFF monsters.

Edit- Oh wait, can you only ride certain specific monster classes? Daaaang.

She's riding Desco, you can see her mouth is open because she's in the crouching sprite and her health bar isn't visible. Also there's a select switch option with desco's portrait, for selecting Fuka instead.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

megamariox posted:

The prinnies special move is really reminiscent of bomberman.
It even has the prinny in the top right loving up and blowing himself up at the start for that authentic bomberman feel.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I think it was an attack that Prinnies can use if a human character is riding them.

So riding is like a reverse magichange? Neat.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the game over thing is great, I hope this means you can return to base mid map instead of just having to reset the loving game every time you wanna check a postgame map to see what level the enemies are.

Wrist Watch posted:

Actually really don't like this at all. Is there any point to doing a regular attack anymore if you can go into counter chains using skills?

Plus, doesn't this all but guarantee that axe users are going to be eating a counter no matter what they do? Unless there are more ranged axe attacks in later games, I'm still playing D2 DHD here.
Maybe they'll just make axes give high counter rates like the nekomatas.
The bigger concern is this is also gonna make fighting gun/bow users a pain in the rear end, and a huge saftey risk to squishy mages.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Also if you do actually patch, there is another, though much much slower method of duplication involving the puppy paw stick where you can use it to steal the equipment from a character world clone or from a senator won over by an online "idol" type senator.It's slow as hell but it works eventually.

edit: Beaten, though the senator method is much faster as it can take only a minute to get the right setup instead of waiting ages like a character world clone, but you still have to do it several times until the puppy paw stick actually works.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 25, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Unknown_PC posted:

The new Item Sea also allows upgrading of item quality now. Going through 30 floors of a common item will upgrade it to rare retaining its stats and item level. The new rare item starts at Item Sea floor 1 again. If you manage to clear 60 floors of rare item, it becomes a legendary.

By retain stats does it keep the weapon's level, or does it reset both at floor and level one?

Either way , this sounds like they just replaced reset spamming for a legendary with doing another 90 floors of item worldSea.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

JetGrind posted:

in D2, or at least in Dark Hero Days since I never played the original, there was a couple of hidden buttons in the main hub that would spawn a level 100 archer to fight and beating her would grant you access to the Dark World.

God, I'm glad they got rid of that, I hated getting thrown into a dark world while training a smaller dude and suddenly whoops, you're fighting a bunch of level 200 wizards on invincibility panels, and there's also a couple of level 200 swords dudes around.

gently caress the Dark World.

the worst part of dark world was never knowing what to expect, so youd have to save before every single map because the only way out of one was to reset or game over if you couldn't win it.

These games really need an autosave

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

Holy poo poo please tell me Disgaea 4 drops all this bullshit with geo panels at some point, this combination of enemies constantly being at least a level or two above where you'd be through normal gameplay without grinding combined with having to deal with poo poo like "whoops this whole map is filled with warp tiles and magichanged monsters that'll take off a third of your health each, gently caress you!" and "whoops this map is filled with enemies with long range weapons stuck on attack +1 tiles!" is running any excitement I had about playing it into the ground.

I haven't even touched the game in almost a week now after slowly climbing through map after map dealing with it. It's not even really hard, just tedious enough to suck the fun out of the game when I load up the fifth map in a row to be almost entirely covered with geo panels.
Sadly no, not even in postgame, as dark world is like 90% gently caress you geo panels. They start to get really dickish later on,putting enemies on invincibility and/or 3x enemy power panels. Postgame and endgame ramp up the dickishnes with panels that instakill whomever ends a turn on them as well as game over panels. gently caress whomever thought up game over panels.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 31, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'll never get your own game, Asagi.

She got her own game mode in the 2nd prinny platformer, so its really weird they're still doing this joke.

Getting to be a concert star seems like a step up though.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Invincibility panels are essentially a free maxed bonus level, with a few bonus points in weapon proficiency to boot.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Here's a handy chart showing XP gains (which are based on the XP until next level for each level) from killing enemies of certain levels.

Yes, that spike at level 99 is intentional.

Whats up with that spike anyway? is it just glitch turned feature or some intentional reason that 99 in particular has that huge jump?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Is it me or do the enemies in D2 really really love poison? nearly half of all enemies can inflict it, pumpkins can inflict it with just a normal attack, and several enemies have evilities that either boost infliction rate or the damage it does. i practically need another priest who's sole job is to cast espior in the item world because not 1 match goes by where something somewhere inflicts poison on my team.

Is there anything that actually helps you resist status effects? that would kinda be helpful right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Are there any staticians in Disgaea d2, or is the cheat shop the only way to boost xp rates?

• Locked thread