Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Horace Kinch posted:

Sequences of Geneforge

Avernum but in Reverse, the Empire rules the caves and is sending their undesirables to live on the surface. You must find your way out of the sun and back into the earth.

I have a game pitch lurking in the back of my head that's basically the early days of Avernum, before the nation gets properly established. You get your starting heroes, i.e. Erika, Patrick, etc, and you're dropped off in the Eastern Cavern with gently caress-all for resources, and sliths and demons are everywhere. You have to send out parties to claim resources, build cities, establish and push back borders, and eventually lock Grah-Hoth into stasis.

I have another one, for a roguelike where you play as a member of the First Expedition (the Imperial explorers who all ate poo poo before they decided to use the place as a penal colony). There the goal is to divest yourself of your uber gear in as inconvenient of a place as possible for future adventurers to find, and then die a really, really stupid death. :v: The emphasis would be on avoiding fights, while also angering the locals so that the future penal colony has as rough a go of it as possible. Bonus points for making observations and leaving diary entries recounting them on the walls of caves hidden behind secret passages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Whybird posted:

The first half of Exile 2 is very very similar to Ultima VI: weird monsters are attacking you from underground, you travel down to discover they're really just people with their own issues and culture, and then complete three trials to win their trust.

Ah that's true, I'd never thought of that before. Maybe because I played Exile 2 before I was aware of Ultima but was familiar with the series by the time Avernum 4 came out. It's still a lot less specific than "there's a group of 3 shades that are remnants of a previous bad guy who appear randomly in different towns and make all the townspeople act strangely"

I always thought the Vahnatai were a cool and unique race even though IIRC they look more and more like gray aliens in future iterations of the games.

Yeah this was also one of the Blades of Exile/Avernum scenario ideas I had back in the day and never really did anything with, something about being early explorers in the caves before they became a penal colony. It was intended to have a "gotcha" ending where the Empire seals the cave entrance behind you. And you'd be tasked with building a portal leading back to the surface, and then after building it find out that it's a one-way portal that can only drop people into the cave.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
For someone who played most Avernums Geneforge 5 & Mutagen, and is familiar with every other Spiderweb series - what makes Geneforge 2 different? Or is it more of the same? Not that there's anything wrong with it been more of the same.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a game pitch lurking in the back of my head that's basically the early days of Avernum, before the nation gets properly established. You get your starting heroes, i.e. Erika, Patrick, etc, and you're dropped off in the Eastern Cavern with gently caress-all for resources, and sliths and demons are everywhere. You have to send out parties to claim resources, build cities, establish and push back borders, and eventually lock Grah-Hoth into stasis.

I have another one, for a roguelike where you play as a member of the First Expedition (the Imperial explorers who all ate poo poo before they decided to use the place as a penal colony). There the goal is to divest yourself of your uber gear in as inconvenient of a place as possible for future adventurers to find, and then die a really, really stupid death. :v: The emphasis would be on avoiding fights, while also angering the locals so that the future penal colony has as rough a go of it as possible. Bonus points for making observations and leaving diary entries recounting them on the walls of caves hidden behind secret passages.

I'm working on a DnD 5e homebrew campaign for Avernum 1 for some friends. (It is a monumental task and will take me forever.)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Horace Kinch posted:

I'm working on a DnD 5e homebrew campaign for Avernum 1 for some friends. (It is a monumental task and will take me forever.)

I was a little sad when I grabbed Planegea (5e pre-history setting) and it didn't have much in the way of 'metal is cool and basically +1 on it's own' rules. Because I would have been tempted to steal them for an Exile styled campaign.Though it is otherwise neat in and of itself.

My main suggestions would be, set your goals. Boil down what is actually important (to you) about the setting and/or plot (depending on how much you are taking from the game). Also be clear that NPC mages and archmages do poo poo that is not spell slots. Though that is personal D&D preference. The guy who can make cavecows and cave trees might not be able to cast magic missile or fireball. A PC wizard is a combat class, innately.

tl;dr Good Luck!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ilitarist posted:

For someone who played most Avernums Geneforge 5 & Mutagen, and is familiar with every other Spiderweb series - what makes Geneforge 2 different? Or is it more of the same? Not that there's anything wrong with it been more of the same.

Geneforge 2 is pretty similar to Mutagen except with a lot more choices and some more creations. You have options for getting skills that aren't canisters now and the amount of canisters you use will affect your ending unlike in 5/Mutagen. It also has a new system that Guardians can use best that lets them do magic based on melee/ranged weapon skill which helps them feel more interesting.

Also in general I think it works really well because its a true sequel to G1 and you can see how the genie that was the Geneforge and the general powderkeg of Sucia Island was not put back in the bottle when the Shapers finally came in force to smash it. Lots of recurring characters etc.

Also G2 the original was the last game that had the old encumbrance system which was almost literally unplayable so G2:Infection rules for just being a much less annoying version to play.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GodFish posted:

Mine said 27%. Maybe a bunch more people activated their key since then.

Steam achievement stats tend to bounce around a lot right around release. I've seen games where some achievement would go from 12% to 0.3% and back several times before settling on whatever the actual number (presumably) was :shrug:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Zore posted:

Geneforge 2 is pretty similar to Mutagen except with a lot more choices and some more creations.

More choices sounds great. After playing Geneforge 5 in a past Mutagen felt a little basic and straightforward. I really appreciated more urban and political environment of G5, it felt very refreshing. The core idea of G1 is very limiting so I guess not much could be done about it. I didn't finish it and I think the big questions of the game become obvious very early, and I couldn't keep my interest at the end game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im gonna make the obnoxious post, pray for me

PoE2 Deadfire is my fave CRPG of all time, maybe fave RPG but Disco Elysium is p good, would the Avernum reremakes, which I understand have been streamlined and polished up well, be a good choice to dive into?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They are fairly fundamentally different games. That doesn't mean that they'll be bad, just that you should set expectations. The Avernum games have you making your own party members from scratch. They have no dialog or banter, aside from prompting NPCs on what to talk about next. The presentation is simple, with limited animation. There are practically no situations where you're presented with a narratively ambiguous choice and have to decide which option to go with.

What you do get is quality turn-based tactical combat, neat environments to explore (described with flavor text, because the art budget is low), lots of little secrets to find, and grand quests with climactic set piece battles.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I too consider PoE2 be the best.

Compared to PoE2 reremakes are much more simple and also combat-focused. These games are primary dungeon crawls. There are towns and even missions not involving fighting, but your characters are defined by the way they fight, they don't have any personality, they don't make any choices. And the story is not bad but it's a very functional high fantasy tale. The character and equipment systems are also relatively simple, and this is a game where you can often turn out your brain and to trash fights unlike PoE2 that wants you to sit on the edge of your chair and calculate how can you use that breastplate and it's possible upgrades in your party composition.

Queen's Wish, Avaddon and Geneforge are both more similar to PoE2. They are still dungeon crawls but involve a lot of politics, choices, dilemmas. Avernums are great dungeon crawlers in relatively pure form, these other games add a lot of other stuff. Geneforge 5 felt like a game very close to Fallout New Vegas. As I've just said Geneforge 1 felt relatively basic story-wise to me, but I've played some original games and you'll probably enjoy it more than other games in this series.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

im okay going into them with the understanding i can have a crunchy combat system and decent plot, but nothing too high level. i guess what im really looking for is system depth on that level? where I've been playing Deadfire for years and still find new synergies and interactive systems, or at least character build ideas

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Radia posted:

im okay going into them with the understanding i can have a crunchy combat system and decent plot, but nothing too high level. i guess what im really looking for is system depth on that level? where I've been playing Deadfire for years and still find new synergies and interactive systems, or at least character build ideas

You're not going to get that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Radia posted:

Yeah remember this is largely a one person project with some outside contractors for art and music. The combat system is decently deep and you can have some really cool challenge runs by doing things like a pacifist run or runs with limitations on Torment (the highest difficulty), but normal gameplay doesn't have anywhere near as many overlapping systems as Deadfire.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Arrhythmia posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

okay, i'll add them to my wishlist and take a look next time im downbad for a new rpg experience. thank you!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

am I gonna miss out on a lot by not playing Geneforge 1 first?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

Your character is new and ignorant of the events of G1 so I would say you are fine. There is an LP of the original if you want a quicker version of it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Part of the issue with Jeff's games people are used to RPGs looking like that being hardcore and wordy. So I totally understand where Radia comes from. But these games are, like, normal. You could imagine games like these being made by BioWare if their art and sound teams went on strike.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Not particularly, there are references to it because it was a major inciting event that is the direct cause of this and a lot of characters recur. The game stands on its own though and will absolutely get you up to speed without having played it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nice, into the Vogelverse i go

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Yeah this was also one of the Blades of Exile/Avernum scenario ideas I had back in the day and never really did anything with, something about being early explorers in the caves before they became a penal colony. It was intended to have a "gotcha" ending where the Empire seals the cave entrance behind you. And you'd be tasked with building a portal leading back to the surface, and then after building it find out that it's a one-way portal that can only drop people into the cave.
There's a couple Blades of Avernum scenarios which are set very early in Avernum as part of the First Expedition and probably a few more for Blades of Exile where you're exploring the caves early. No idea about the quality, both because I didn't play many custom scenarios and because it's been forever since I played either version of Blades.

Radia posted:

okay, i'll add them to my wishlist and take a look next time im downbad for a new rpg experience. thank you!
One thing nobody has mentioned is that most of Jeff's games have a decent sized free demo, so if you want to check out either Avernum or Geneforge re-remakes to see if you enjoy them, that's always an option too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Playing the original geneforge 1 is something everyone should experience. The snot-UI is a classic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just bought the new geneforge. looking forward to playing it. i liked mutagen but i was always more of a exile/avernum guy and never played the original geneforges.

thinking about it, i played all 3 exiles, blades of exile, nethergate, all 3 of the avernum re-remakes, the 2 avadons, and queens wish. idk why i never picked up geneforge

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i would say avernum largely appeals to the exploration center of an rpg fan's brain: filling in maps and finding secrets where the rewards can be anything from a simple combat encounter with a special reward at the end to a more involved event that might either give or require a key item.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah the exploring in the Avernum games is second to none. Also the feeling of being able to go anywhere, that is lessened by the second remakes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

who are you calling an rpg fan

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

fart simpson posted:

just bought the new geneforge. looking forward to playing it. i liked mutagen but i was always more of a exile/avernum guy and never played the original geneforges.

thinking about it, i played all 3 exiles, blades of exile, nethergate, all 3 of the avernum re-remakes, the 2 avadons, and queens wish. idk why i never picked up geneforge

Just curious, which of the 3 Avadons are you conspicuously slighting here?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I say subconsciously might be more likely! Or just life circumstances meant they never bumped into Avadon 3. I don't think any of those were kickstarted so you can hit a weird awareness hole.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tequila Bob posted:

Just curious, which of the 3 Avadons are you conspicuously slighting here?

i didnt know there were 3 avadons lol

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Horace Kinch posted:

Playing the original geneforge 1 is something everyone should experience. The snot-UI is a classic.

I played netherforge after playing avernum... 2? And sent an email to Jeff saying the netherforge UI is a big step up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

fart simpson posted:

i thought jeff was in his 20s

He is - Geneforge 2: Infestation was his 28th release.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just discovered this thread. I played the original Exile back in the day but never got very far in it. Some of the indie D&D stuff I've been reading got me thinking about it again over the past year. So the Avernum trilogy is available for Mac, that's good.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I just discovered this thread. I played the original Exile back in the day but never got very far in it. Some of the indie D&D stuff I've been reading got me thinking about it again over the past year. So the Avernum trilogy is available for Mac, that's good.

Be aware Exiles 123 have been remade twice. IIRC it's Avernum 1,2,3 (4,5,6). Then Avernum(1,2,3):ThisTimeWithASub-title as the more recent ones. I think I prefer the later version of the Avernums, they are cheap enough try all of them I guess.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Are the Avadon games worth going through? I'd lost my A1 saves years ago, but thanks to recently getting a gaming PC, I'm starting to revisit some CRPGs I never finished earlier.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're much more on rails than Avernum. I wasnt as much a fan but they're still OK.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tequila Bob posted:

Are the Avadon games worth going through? I'd lost my A1 saves years ago, but thanks to recently getting a gaming PC, I'm starting to revisit some CRPGs I never finished earlier.

Gameplay-wise, they're a bit more restrictive than most Avernum games in terms of both structure and tactics. You get given a mission that opens up a new location, you go to the location and do the mission plus whatever sidequests are in that area, you go get another mission that opens up another new location; it's pretty directly inspired by the structure of the Dragon Age/Mass Effect era of BioWare RPGs.

Each character class plays fairly differently from the others, and each one pretty much has two or three sensible builds that you can go for, usually giving them a choice between focusing on direct damage or buffs/debuffs. The balancing in the first two games is a little wonky so some builds don't quite work right, but I don't hate the idea in principle; yes, in theory Avernum gave you more versatility in that it let you make a character who put points into every skill and could do a little of everything, but it's not like they'd be good. You can still make bad characters in Avadon but it will generally be more obvious that they're not working out, and there's a respec option. The one big thing you can't undo is your main character's class: there are a few solo segments in each game, so it helps to play as someone who can both stand up in solo combat and deal with locks, which pretty much means a Shadowwalker in the first game and a Shadowwalker or Tinkermage in 2 and 3. It's not absolutely necessary, though.

As far as writing goes, the best way I can sum up my impression of the series' tone is that doing the standard RPG thing of walking into people's houses and rifling through their stuff for anything you can sell kinda hits differently when your characters are the secret police and half the people you meet are telling you to just go away and leave them alone. Avernum had a serious main plot but still had a lot of lighthearted moments and incidental comedy; Avadon isn't entirely humour-free, but it's notably less cheery.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the Avadon vs Avernum thing comes mostly down to how the world's been built. Sure, you have more character freedom in Avernum/Exile, but the things your dudes do are more limited, but-but all of that doesn't matter, as having simple archtypes vs bespoke themed abilities doesn't matter one whit when you're having fun blasting dudes, getting loot, and really enjoying the world, exploration, lore, and general drift of things.

Which is why I never really clicked on the Geneforge and especially Avadon games, they're just so dang limited it felt. I might go back and give a proper shake to Geneforge1 someday. (Uhh, assuming it hasn't been rebooted yet?) I did complete Avadon1 so I feel my feelings are justified there.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Serephina posted:

I think the Avadon vs Avernum thing comes mostly down to how the world's been built. Sure, you have more character freedom in Avernum/Exile, but the things your dudes do are more limited, but-but all of that doesn't matter, as having simple archtypes vs bespoke themed abilities doesn't matter one whit when you're having fun blasting dudes, getting loot, and really enjoying the world, exploration, lore, and general drift of things.

Which is why I never really clicked on the Geneforge and especially Avadon games, they're just so dang limited it felt. I might go back and give a proper shake to Geneforge1 someday. (Uhh, assuming it hasn't been rebooted yet?) I did complete Avadon1 so I feel my feelings are justified there.

Geneforge has been rebooted.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Serephina posted:

Geneforge 1 and 2 have been rebooted and have decent sized demos, so if you ever want to give them a shake, it's easy enough to give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is there any way to join the awakened that doesnt involve getting rid of the drayk in the crystal mine. i have level 15 creations and he still just demolishes me