Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Avernum? Nah. Exile? gently caress yes! I played the everloving hell out of Exile when I found it on PC Zone on shareware disks as a little kid, even when I didn't really understand what was going on I loved the world building, the keyword based dialouge system, and the flexible party management. I even did some sprite editing and changed one of the character sprites into a badass MSpaint guy with an assault rifle rather than a staff :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Finally gotten round to playing Escape From The Pit and I'm loving it about 14 hours in, but twice now I've had to resort to scumming because of some questionable encounter design. The first was the Slithzerai boss across the pond from Cotra (I think), the one that summons a bunch of oozes. It was a difficult fight but we managed to whittle him down to barely anything, wiping out him, his entourage and a boatload of slimes... only to round the corner and have like, 10 more Draining Slimes appear and do insane amounts of damage to my party with no health and resources. I replayed the fight several times over and did everything I could do make things go smoothly but in the end I had to knock the difficulty down to Casual and plink my way to victory.

Second was the Spiral Pit, pretty much the same thing. Fought my way through the maze, put up a good fight, the last encounter needed a few reloads but I managed to succeed with my berserker and mage at about a tenth of their health. Ran all the way back through the maze to the entrance only to be greeted with a full pack of undead who quickly wiped the group. Even after switching to Casual I was too weak and didn't have the resources to beat them so I had to cheat my party back to Avernum to proceed. Whether this was a group I had missed on the way in or one that spawns post-encounter I have no idea, but man does it feel bad to survive a really tough fight only to be greeted by a bunch more enemies.

It's probably down to powering my way through areas my group isn't prepared enough to fight or having a poor party balance, but the rest of the game hasn't caused me any issues except for when I know I'm way in over my head. It's just odd that these two encounters that had the same mob summoning mechanics both resulted in extra mobs overpowering my party when the counter was finished. Loving the game otherwise though, it's giving me crazy amounts of nostalgia even having only played the old Exile sharewares years ago.