Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thank you Strix for mentioning this in the Steam thread, found this thread via an internet search ;p

Just browsed the ancient spidwebsoftware site and found that the old Exile games are now totally free, it took less than 60 seconds to download, install, and have the intro screen knock my socks off from nostalgia, amazing. Just... wow.

---

The Avernum remakes look like they have a skill-tree system (as just mentioned), would I like it? I played Exiles, Nethergates, Avernums, Geneforge1 and Avadon1. I kinda fell off as I felt the newer games, despite having a larger view area, had a sloppier gfx style (unimportant) and a much more... steramlined-in-a-bad-way builds. Avadon in particular turned me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That really sounds like what I didn't like of Avadon, what a shame.

I liked having a page full of weird stats with the Phil Folio artwork, really tinkering around with stuff, balancing combat vs utility, etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Node posted:

Which Spiderweb software game should I start out with? I gotta appreciate this guy for sticking to what works for him.

I'd vote for the Avernum games. He's rebooted it several times already, and the most 'recent' (2011 lol) certainly looks the most accessible it's ever been. The older you go in the reboots, the grittier and less streamlined it gets, but as much as I prefer the older styles they're probably harder to get into from a modern perspective.

Exile (aka earlier Avernum) is what got Spiderweb their fans, so clearly the grassroots are there and so why I'd suggest that series/IP over his others.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My takeaway from when I cut my teeth on Exile3 was "utility character are unplayable", due to how xp splitting was most ungenerous; my mage dramatically overlevelled the rest of the team due to his nuke-spam at the start of every fight, while my ranged/poison/traps guy got 0 kills and subsequently was perpetually useless. The cleric was behind the team too, but at least his newbie rear end was useful as a healbot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(As a corollary, this makes the perks that give you +% experience gain basically worthless -- at best, you end up 1 level ahead of the curve, and then the scaling counteracts the perk)

Interestingly I think this is a "yes, and no" situation; certainly crippling your guy to get +xp is a bad idea as the benefits are minor, but if you're running a solo char in Avernum:NoSubtitle you'll quickly notice that being 'only' 2 or 3 levels above the curve renders most normal combat trivial, and it becomes a game of 1 OP guy trying to compensate for 4 decent ones, which is where all the fun of the build is. But again you're right, even in that scenario, the right choice is to take something like -50% xp as the perks outweigh the temporary tempo loss of a level on the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the Avadon vs Avernum thing comes mostly down to how the world's been built. Sure, you have more character freedom in Avernum/Exile, but the things your dudes do are more limited, but-but all of that doesn't matter, as having simple archtypes vs bespoke themed abilities doesn't matter one whit when you're having fun blasting dudes, getting loot, and really enjoying the world, exploration, lore, and general drift of things.

Which is why I never really clicked on the Geneforge and especially Avadon games, they're just so dang limited it felt. I might go back and give a proper shake to Geneforge1 someday. (Uhh, assuming it hasn't been rebooted yet?) I did complete Avadon1 so I feel my feelings are justified there.